spoiler: Sentinel Companion

SweetOldBob

Comparing companions of a lvl 36 Sentinel

Kira is cute, but PvE sure goes better with Doc. I'm breezing through areas that used to be tough. (I visited Balmora with Kira to level & gear up for killing the 3 Sith at the wrecked spaceship on Tatooine.) With Doc, more often than not I don't need to heal myself after a fight.

What would be the motivation to update Kira's gear other than hand-me-downs or the odd light armor that drops?

Eh sometimes it's just nice to kill targets before you need healing, especially on normal & strong groups i found her more usefull than doc. It just made things a little quicker for me.

Other than that it's the same why some people chose t7 over him, matter of preference i think.

once you get into your 40's if you're in watchman spec Kira is going to be your fastest way through mobs. Even the downtime after 2 or 3 pulls is only 15 or 20s. Doc you won't come close to dying unless something strange happens but everything goes a lot slower.

You still have 2 more pets left to get. The last one is actually pretty darn handy :cool:

Soloing as a sentinel, kira is best for speeding up trivial fights, but by far the worst against anything that presents real danger. Especially against high HP enemies where you can see a race between their health and your parties health. You will always out-threat her, and while her boosted DPS remains true, she is not exactly going to fight on behalf of your corpse.

The tank companions (T7 being your only current one) is still a very viable choice due to this but many seem to agree that Doc is objectively the best companion right now. Trivial fights stay trivial, but long and dangerous fights can make you a workable tank when you juggle your defensive abilities effectively with Docs heals. Doc has a strong habit of threating everything except the one you're hitting requiring a little defense himself, but on the plus side, their is plenty of time to save him while he's spreading thin the enemies damage-focus.

If you're in a party and another player does have a tank available, by all means take kira if you think her annoying personality that only an early teen could enjoy is a worthy trade off for a little bit more ****.

The first time I played a Sentinel 1-50 I used Doc almost exclusivly when I got him, because I had just heard it was "required".

I started on another server and took a second Sentinel to 50, and decided to try it without ever useing Doc. When I did that I regretted the first runthrough. Now that the class was more second nature to me and I was better aware of how to level up and keep my and my companions gear up to snuff, I simply couldnt imagine going back to Doc. The "downtime" issue was nothing for me... it takes 5-8 seconds to heal myself adequatly between signficant fights, but Kira (or Rusk, if you dont mind chaseing mobs due to range sometimes) ends those fights at least 20-30 seconds faster. "Significant" fights meaning any fight relevant enough that your companion choice matters at all. The only time I really see a need for a healer companion is when you are trying to bring down a Champion mob that out levels you.

Im currently working on a Mauarader to play with some friends who are on the "red team", and my healer companion is shelved, he works on gathering skills while my DPS companions breeze through everything.