The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Your current stats as a shield tank

Lasian

I'm curious to see what most shieldtanks stats currently are at.

Mine are

1459 Aim

2139 endurance (buffed)

94.6% accuracy

23895 Health

8360 armor rating (43.63%)

52.63% Damage reduction

14.32% Defense Chance

49.90% Shield Chance

52.43% shield absorption (WITHOUT procced 395 absorption trinket)

My main thing is I'm not having trouble with threat so I'm able to drop some aim for the willpower (assassin) mods which provide more HP and absorption which is how i'm able to get shield chance and absorption so high. I'm curious if anyone else does this.

Edited by Lasian

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never seen or heard of anyone doing this - but there arnt too many powertech tanks on my server.

But looking at the stats - it seems pretty perfect.

I'm currently sitting at:

21.5k(ish) HP Unbuffed

52% Damage Reduction

17.2% Defense

52% (roughly) Shield Chance

37-38% Absorbtion

I personally want to boost my Absorbtion a bit (At the cost of Defense) from the enhancments that drop in EV (and maybe KP too). Which are Rakata ilvl but itemized the same as the Columi ones (End, Shield, Def) except they replace Def with Absorb.

I've seen them on GTN going for 500k, which I can't be bothered spending as I'm not such an extreme min/max-er.

However your idea - if you genuinely have no threat issues - seems like a pretty great alternative that's probably a lot easier to get?

I'm the same as the above poster. When I respec to Parakeet (or similar) it means my chance and absorb are both around 40% which is good enough for Nightmare mode ops.

I didn't get lucky enough with mods to go much higher, and given that 1.2 is out "soon" my Rakata gear will be getting replaced.

If you take a look at the exotech gear, some peices have the Vigilant or sturdiness enhancements 24 i think. I used those because they were better than the accuracy mods, then I waited it out to replace the 24's with 25's. My threat is never an issue because I pop my dps stim + explosive fuel + attack adrenal and go all out then once it's all done I switch to my tanking stim. Of course this is a lot easier if you're a biochem and dont have to worry about running out. But the willpower mods from Insiquitor gear has helped me a lot in nightmare modes.

21k health w/ rakata health stim and BH buff

1500 aim

126 acc - 94.32%

8405 armor - 52.76% overall reduc

300 defense - 16.27% (includes rakata 4peice)

426 shield - 52.80%

355 absorb - 53.46%

I use Absorb prob trinket and the activated shield/absorb trinkets. above numbers are before activation.

Health is low due to using crafted earpiece and both implants for the higher secondary stats, as well as 4 of the 24 end/51 shield/37 absorb enhancements for better secondaries as well.

• 5 months later...

Thought I would /bump this thread and post my stats:

(Keeping in mind I went from all mk-1 eliminator recruit armor to this)

20.2k health

7911 armor rating

49.28% damage reduction

14.83% defense chance

46.54% shield chance

47.09% shield absorption

I also have like 240 power as well (half the suit is augmented for absorption and other half for power and health). Looking forward to taking it for a test drive :)

HP: 27000+

Aim: 1600ish

Endurance: 2400ish

Damage reduction: 56 %

Defense Chance: 18.68 %

Shield Chance: 53.6 %

Absorption: 54 %

Campaign and Black Hole armor, offhand, implants, earpeice, and rakata mainhand.

These numbers are with all buffs and my Rakata Fortitude stim.

Edited by MDR_WeedKnight

HP: 27000+

Aim: 1600ish

Endurance: 2400ish

Damage reduction: 56 %

Defense Chance: 18.68 %

Shield Chance: 53.6 %

Absorption: 54 %

Campaign and Black Hole armor, offhand, implants, earpeice, and rakata mainhand.

These numbers are with all buffs and my Rakata Fortitude stim.

How are you able to get so high with your damage reduction?

That has to be a typo there no way...with that amount of health to have that dmg reduction in lvl 61 gear

And For what its worth trying this this week little more defense then I was running... TFB HM Cleared 5/5 Shield absorb was at 61% and Def was at 17% moved some augments in and out

24828 HP with rakata stim

1656 Aim unbuffed

Armor 8802

Dmg reduction 53.90%

Def Chance 19.06%

Shield Chance 58.87%

Shield Absorb 59.90

Edited by mugen_dom

Buffed and Stimmed

Defensive Stuff:

Health 26679 (2391 Endurance)

Armor 8719

Damage Reduction 53.67%

Defense 14.15% (221)

Shield 56.27% (660)

Absorb 60.34% (578) - 68.34% in combat of course

Offensive Stuff:

Aim 1687

Accuracy 91% (0)

Crit 22.02% (0)

Crit Multiplier 51% (0)

Full BH/Campaign, and custom modified a bit more after that. I could still use to drop a bit of shield and absorb for more defense and/or endurance.

I've deliberately dropped aim and other offensive stats for more defense. I can still drop a bit more. Aggro is not an issue, I blow Explosive Fuel, Thermal Sensor Override, and Vent Heat asap to make sure no one pulls off me.

23k Health

8.6k Armor

53% Damage Reduction

15% Defense Chance

55% Shield Chance

55% Absorption (with buffs it goes up to 74%)

4 Stacks of Flame Burst give me additional absorb in addition to heat screen + the relic buff + the other relic buff.

I still have just augmented Rakata Chest/Offhand.

Everything else is

Black Hole Ear Piece - Implants - Campaign Relics x2

War Hero Main

Rakata Set Bonus with Black Hole Mods/Armoring/Enhancements + augments

I have no issues tanking currently but I do get grief from many guildies telling me to use the pvp relics for greater shield chance, I argue of course that I lose power/endurance and other passive stats that help (+405 Absorb 50% chance on shielding an attack etc)

I am not a fan of stacking defensive chance either, the other tank in the guild stacks that, uses those relics and has all endurance augments.

Decent for spike damage but as far as straight up mitigation, I would win in a fight.

What you have to remember is when you shield an attack you vent heat and also reset rocket punch

Most of the power techs in my guild have 46% shield chance and 20%ish defense chance and they think that is the way to go.

What is the ideal shield/absorb rating? I got my shield to 54 and abosrb to 52 and started using endurance augments but now I feel like my rocket punch doesn't proc as often as I'd like.

Ideal shield/absorb is ultimately related to defense, but you can definitely get your shield and absorb higher than 54 and 52 respectively. I think people switch to prioritizing defense at about shield/absorb 50/50 or so because at that point defense becomes more valuable per point, up until you start to reach the DR on defense. Thus the ideal ratings are a balance of the three; I'm sure someone has calculated it somewhere, but even if you're not at that exact point you can still do everything just fine.

Endurance augments can be used as a buffer to make "OH NO" situations easier to deal with, but I personally don't prioritize any endurance and go as high as I can in def/shield/absorb. Also, the rocket punch not proccing could be due to the nature of a fight, such as attacks that arent shieldable or rate of attack by an enemy.

I think people switch to prioritizing defense at about shield/absorb 50/50 or so because at that point defense becomes more valuable per point, up until you start to reach the DR on defense. Thus the ideal ratings are a balance of the three; I'm sure someone has calculated it somewhere, but even if you're not at that exact point you can still do everything just fine.

While I think some defense is necessary, I don't necessarily think that defense should be stacked once 50/50 is reached. Shield and Absorb specifically interact with each other, but they do not interact with Defense.

A newbie tank with 25 shield and 25 absorb effectively blocks 6.25% of damage that gets past their defense and armor.

A geared tank with 50 shield and 50 absorb effectively blocks 25% of all damage that gets past their defense and armor.

Notice how doubling the numbers quadruples their value. While DR does start to kick in for shield an absorb, having a higher value in either makes the opposite that much more valuable, effectively counteracting the DR. DR also doesn't effect these abilities quite to the extent that most people think, absorb doesn't start to get hit hard by it until the 800-1000 point range, and shield rating doesn't start to really diminish until even higher than that.

That's not to say don't take defense. Many fights function differently, in some fights defense is more useful than shield/absorb, and in other fights shield/absorb is more useful. Some bosses stack their debuff only on hits (G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator), so defense is good there, other bosses use almost entirely force/tech attacks that completely ignore defense but can still be shielded/absorbed (Jarg*).

Taking all that into account, and the fact that defense hits DR faster than shield or absorb, the best bet is to take enough defense to push some DR on it, then stack shield/absorb to the sky. So you want at least a couple hundred defense rating, but not more than say 500-600 (I've already admitted my defense is low, need to swap some Augs).

*Note that Jarg still puts a serious hurting on PTs because his elemental attacks ignore our armor. Sin tanks have a fractionally higher elemental resistance and better shields (and shroud) and thus are slightly better tanks on him, where as Jugs rely almost entirely on defense and armor and less on their shield making them slightly worse tanks on him (though they have more defensive cooldowns to make up for it). Generally all tanks perform within a few percentage points of each other on any particular boss.

Edited by Fauxknight

While I think some defense is necessary, I don't necessarily think that defense should be stacked once 50/50 is reached. Shield and Absorb specifically interact with each other, but they do not interact with Defense.

A newbie tank with 25 shield and 25 absorb effectively blocks 6.25% of damage that gets past their defense and armor.

A geared tank with 50 shield and 50 absorb effectively blocks 25% of all damage that gets past their defense and armor.

Notice how doubling the numbers quadruples their value. While DR does start to kick in for shield an absorb, having a higher value in either makes the opposite that much more valuable, effectively counteracting the DR. DR also doesn't effect these abilities quite to the extent that most people think, absorb doesn't start to get hit hard by it until the 800-1000 point range, and shield rating doesn't start to really diminish until even higher than that.

That's not to say don't take defense. Many fights function differently, in some fights defense is more useful than shield/absorb, and in other fights shield/absorb is more useful. Some bosses stack their debuff only on hits (G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator), so defense is good there, other bosses use almost entirely force/tech attacks that completely ignore defense but can still be shielded/absorbed (Jarg*).

Taking all that into account, and the fact that defense hits DR faster than shield or absorb, the best bet is to take enough defense to push some DR on it, then stack shield/absorb to the sky. So you want at least a couple hundred defense rating, but not more than say 500-600 (I've already admitted my defense is low, need to swap some Augs).

*Note that Jarg still puts a serious hurting on PTs because his elemental attacks ignore our armor. Sin tanks have a fractionally higher elemental resistance and better shields (and shroud) and thus are slightly better tanks on him, where as Jugs rely almost entirely on defense and armor and less on their shield making them slightly worse tanks on him (though they have more defensive cooldowns to make up for it). Generally all tanks perform within a few percentage points of each other on any particular boss.

I do follow your line of thinking; I'm just not sure what benchmarks to set with respect to stat improvement as you gear up. I only run 19% defense (with stim) and push shield/absorb.

One thing I am unsure of since you brought it up is the nature of attacks rolling for each stat. Before reading your post, I was under the impression that if an attack can be dodged it can be shielded, and visa versa, so that you cannot say shield or defense is more valuable for a specific fight. Now I'm not sure, so any information on this would be useful.

One thing I am unsure of since you brought it up is the nature of attacks rolling for each stat. Before reading your post, I was under the impression that if an attack can be dodged it can be shielded, and visa versa, so that you cannot say shield or defense is more valuable for a specific fight. Now I'm not sure, so any information on this would be useful.

Actually I think you are right, only melee/ranged attacks can be dodged or shielded. Tech/Force attacks presumably ignore both dodge and shield chances (one of the reasons tracer missile spam was so powerful in PvP).

With Exotech Fortitude Stim and all buffs

Health : 25920 (Endurance 2316)

Aim: 1609

Armor - 44.47% (8719)

Damage Reduction: 53.67%

Shield Chance: 61.93 (894)

Absorb: 59.93 (565)

Defense: 12% (148)

Edited by cities

Here are mine:

1768Aim

24792 endurance (buffed)

96.43% accuracy

24792 Health

8692 armor rating (44.49%)

53.59% Damage reduction

15.63% Defense Chance

46.74% Shield Chance

51.56% shield absorption

Wanting to get my Defense up got some gear which hasn't got any augments in yet so that should boost it up.

Can't understand why anyone stacks HP.

All the tanks in my guild have only about 3-4k more than I do as a dps (almost 21k)

Mitigation stats > health surely?

Less damage taken = less work for healers = more reliability as they have more time for everyone else.

Can't understand why anyone stacks HP.

All the tanks in my guild have only about 3-4k more than I do as a dps (almost 21k)

Mitigation stats > health surely?

Less damage taken = less work for healers = more reliability as they have more time for everyone else.

Check out this thread for reasons why a tank might want to stack more endurance: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=545904

I personally will always go for only mitigation, because I think the hp you get from not stacking endurance is high enough to get you through everything. Some people will just want to feel "safer" though by having more hp, and with such a lower amount of damage affected by defensive stats in TFB, there is a certain amount of justification for this thought.

25825 hp

Armor: 8786

Dmg Red: 53.86

Def Ch: 18.43

Sh Ch: 57.18

Absorb: 58.05 (with heat screen 66.05)

Personally I like the higher defense chance, i have been told by our healers i am easier to heal than PT's with less defense chance.

However, i'm not sure. I haven't found any good information online regarding what balance is the best. Best info that I have seen is that you should continue to stack your mitigation stats, because that's the best survivability even though there is diminishing returns.

If anyone has found any good info online about endgame tanking stats please post.

Checking out hitpoints heavy gear atm where I try to keep the defensive stats at what I understand to be the "sweet point of 20-50-50" and from there went with endurance. So far no complaints from the healers, not sure though if I prefer this to higher shield / absorb though. Gear is BH/Campaign with 27 armour mods

Stats (buffed, exotech)

endurance: 2539

aim: 1691

hp: 28170

armour: 8994

Damage red: 54.44

Defence: 20.26

Shield: 52.52

absorbtion: 50.68

Edited by haasje