Small, Dynamic Quest Zones (Warning Big Wall of Text)

Darth_Haos

Small Fringe Dynamic Quest Zones

Whenever you finish a quest line, the NPC that you talk to will say, “This planet will be in the hands of the Republic / Empire soon enough,” Or something along that line. But when you are actually done, did anything really change other than you getting the loot for it? My idea is to add small “Forts” or quest hubs on the fringe between Republic and Imperial borders. (This has just a little bit for everyone here.) Here, there would be several quest NPC’s. Only players that belong to the faction that owns the fort will be able to get the quests. (There would be a parallel on the other side of course.) These forts won’t have anything of that great of importance because it could disrupt other players time get a bunch of complaints. These small hubs would have a binding spot, a speeder taxi, a medical bay, vendors, crew skill nodes and NPC guards to hold it. At the beginning, the forts would belong to a neutral faction like pirates, spirits, slaves or natives. Every once in a while an attack squad would head out from a Republic / Imperial base to attempt to take the hub away from the pirates. Players could join in the squad to capture or defend the fort, which would provide both PvE and PvP content. There is not a 100% chance of capturing the hub on every attack, so the AI would have to adapt to either lose on a win streak or win on a lose streak. The objective would be to capture a flag, building or computer at the centre of the compound to convert the base to your faction. There would be other structures there that would control certain functions. A generator for shields, target computer for turrets, barracks for respawning troops and the list goes on. You can weaken the selected base by fighting or sneaking into the designated structure to either hack or destroy it. Capturing the structure will start a “hacking” animation (similar to that of planting a bomb in warzones,) which will take some time but grant access to its special powers for you faction. Destroy will be much quicker but after capturing the base it will require some time (like 5 minutes or so,) so bring it back online. You would also be able to improve its defences by spending time and credits at a specific to upgrade the fort’s capabilities. (Better turrets, elite mobs and more crew skill nodes to name a few.) Some would say, “That is stupid! Why should I go out of my way to get a dumb old quest hub? It is even more stupid since the other team can take it back!” Well, you don’t have to capture it but it provides benefits to players in the area. You can unlock faster transportation, get resources and be able to get a few more quests in to get loot. The main reason that I got this idea is because of something that is sweeping across the MMO forums. Dynamic content is the new big thing and my idea will bring more dynamics into the game without causing any major problems with the players. Please leave any ideas or criticism that you may have below.