1 server per character?

DRanks

I'm new to mmorpgs, bt this dosnt seem right

Its completely right..otherwise someone would be a complete jerk off and quickly swap their character to another server with no consequences. You can have up to like 10 characters PER server. But those characters only exist on that server unless your given a free transfer off or you pay for one which can take up to 24 hours to process and can only be between certain types of servers often those with the same rules as the old one. Neither of those options of course are available in SWTOR at the moment which is typical of most MMOs

yeah, but i know someone who works for blizzard in support. these changfes take seconds, and a few mouse clicks. total profiteering lol

Your right they do only take seconds but game companies dont ever gaurentee you seconds and the options to do either were not available at launch for the simple reason you have to give a game time to BREATH and even out on its own first. Plus the Game and its Account system aren't techincally "Live" until the 20th.

Still none of this has anything to do with the New to MMO Original Posters post. So its kinda off topic.

The OP doesn't seem to have a clue that he can create more than 1 character per server and that the Servers are not connected as in the users can just freely movebetween them with the same character.

The whole reason companies charge for these features is to keep people from abusing the community. Could you imagine if say a group like 4chan could just easily go from server to server in an instant with lvl 50 pvp characters? It would be absolute chaos on the playerbase.

Edited by Kindara

Your right they do only take seconds but game companies dont ever gaurentee you seconds and the options to do either were not available at launch for the simple reason you have to give a game time to BREATH and even out on its own first. Plus the Game and its Account system aren't techincally "Live" until the 20th.

Still none of this has anything to do with the New to MMO Original Posters post. So its kinda off topic.

The OP doesn't seem to have a clue that he can create more than 1 character per server and that the Servers are not connected as in the users can just freely movebetween them with the same character.

The whole reason companies charge for these features is to keep people from abusing the community. Could you imagine if say a group like 4chan could just easily go from server to server in an instant with lvl 50 pvp characters? It would be absolute chaos on the playerbase.

the time it takes for the action they take to be available to you is down to server replication.

it takes seconds for them to do it. it may take a while to show up, but thats a hardware issue, it could be improved to make it quicker, but why bother. gives blizzard no benefits.

i do get your reasoning, but considering how many of these can be done per hour, character transfers are more cost effective then gold mining, in a real gold mine lol

ok thx bt wat do u think th cost of this will add up to or it dosnt evn matter since th game hasnt come out yet

there is no cost, you can create a character on every server if you like.

the discussion was about another game, which allowed you to move a character from server to server for a cost. its not applicable to this game. yet.

Edited by mightygaz

Bah honestly... having dealt with servers for what seems like several generations of MMOs, it's outdated... so, disappointingly to myself, I agree with the OP. Design something else and stop just replicating old technology. This is supposed to be a new generation, but all I've seen so far is the same old thing. Of course, my patience grows thinner with every 100 queue ticks. That's what you get.

Bah honestly... having dealt with servers for what seems like several generations of MMOs, it's outdated... so, disappointingly to myself, I agree with the OP. Design something else and stop just replicating old technology. This is supposed to be a new generation, but all I've seen so far is the same old thing. Of course, my patience grows thinner with every 100 queue ticks. That's what you get.

sorry but statements like show you have zero knowledge of the subject matter.

I don't understand this at all.

I am a long-time runescape member (glad I quit to join this far superior game), but runescape was not a "small f2p" game.

It has around 900k players, and your character can move about the different "worlds" (there are about 150). This concept of a character only working on one server is foreign to me, and i don't see the reasoning behind it.

I don't understand this at all.

I am a long-time runescape member (glad I quit to join this far superior game), but runescape was not a "small f2p" game.

It has around 900k players, and your character can move about the different "worlds" (there are about 150). This concept of a character only working on one server is foreign to me, and i don't see the reasoning behind it.

For "normal" MMOs, it is standard to have each character playing on one server. Also, because MMOs such as TOR have robust guild systems, having one character playing on four different servers would break that social aspect of the game. There are also other reasons, including the different server types in the game, load balancing, etc. You can always roll up a new character on another server.