Question about merc badges

ChairForceOne

so i just hit 50 a few moments ago, had a 50 bag in my bank and enough to buy 5 more pvp bags.

so all ina ll got 6 bags. Bought my Cent pants/chest and im saving up for more.

Was wondering if i had a few of my buddies go to tatooine and go to the PvP zone there, if i would get credit. They would be lower levels. like 10-30. Would i get any badges for killing them?

why would this in any way be an exploit? you PvP against some people and you get some badges. thats the whole point...

Because you're talking about farming commendations in an exploitive way, rather than earning them.

Sending your buddies, who are massively under-levelled, to an area so that you can repeatedly kill them (because they're never going to be able to provide a decent fight and be able to compete are they), just so you can earn commendations sounds exactly like farming to me.

you PvP against some people and you get some badges. thats the whole point...

Just to state things clearly, in case you seriously don't understand. The point of PvP isn't to shoot fish in a barrel, it is to engage in serious contests of competence against others who are equally skilled ... it isn't just killing players who are 40 levels lower than you and aren't even trying to fight back.

I'd hoped that bit was obvious, but if your ignorance was genuine then it obviously needed stating.

so i just hit 50 a few moments ago, had a 50 bag in my bank and enough to buy 5 more pvp bags.

so all ina ll got 6 bags. Bought my Cent pants/chest and im saving up for more.

Was wondering if i had a few of my buddies go to tatooine and go to the PvP zone there, if i would get credit. They would be lower levels. like 10-30. Would i get any badges for killing them?

haha:) I laughed when I read this:) brings back memories of the time I rolled through the tatoine "pvP' zone and killed a group of 4 40-44 Rebs on me Merc:) back then she was DPS, not the healer she is now.

Then there was that other time when......lol's!

Edited by Tiberians

Because you're talking about farming commendations in an exploitive way, rather than earning them.

Sending your buddies, who are massively under-levelled, to an area so that you can repeatedly kill them (because they're never going to be able to provide a decent fight and be able to compete are they), just so you can earn commendations sounds exactly like farming to me.

Ah, well, i'm on a PvP server. World PvP is not a Warzone where everything equally matches. You can call it PvP or farming, whatever you want. but that would in no way be an exploit. By that logic, a level 50 running a level 11 through black talon would be an exploit. Because thats totally undoable for a level 11 on his own! i mean thats cheating right!

thats simply not the case. If it makes you feel better i can rephrase.

ahem, If my level 50 friend, who is ]equally geared and skilled, engaged in some PvP in tatooine, would whoever won the fight be awarded merc coms?

On a side note, this forum is new player help. If you can't come in here with out calling people ignorant because they have a difference of opinion or asking a question, perhaps try to the PvP or general forum.

Edited by ChairForceOne

On a side note, this forum is new player help. If you can't come in here with out calling people ignorant because they have a difference of opinion or asking a question, perhaps try to the PvP or general forum.

If you re-read my post you'll see I was providing information for you, and you seemed genuinely ignorant about why what you were proposing could be considered an exploit. I provided the answer to illuminate that ignorance, without reverting to call you names. Saying you seemed ignorant of X isn't an insult. If I'd just said you were ignorant, full stop then sure - that's rude.

ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/

Adjective:

• Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
  • Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

I was using the second form of this, not the first.

An example of PvP farming deemed an exploit was the kill-trading that used to happen on Ilum, whereby players just sat there trading kills for the commendations with no intention of having a serious fight.

A fundamental disarrangement in opinion is not ignorance. If you would like to declare it's not an opinion, and fact, you're welcome to provide the section in the terms of service or game rules that elaborates on "kill trading" as you call it, being an exploit.

On that note, While we're shirring definitions.

New player help (I'm going to make my own definition up!)

Where new players come to get help.

You appear to be neither new (based on your join date) and your post about defining ignorance appears to be not only rude. but unhelpful as well. And i would greatly appreciate it if you didn't have anything constructive and polite to add, that you stop posting on this so i can actually get the answer i'm looking for rather then going off on silly tangents about what you think ignorance means.

Edited by ChairForceOne

You appear to be neither new (based on your join date) and your post about defining ignorance appears to be not only rude. but unhelpful as well. And i would greatly appreciate it if you didn't have anything constructive and polite to add, that you stop posting on this so i can actually get the answer i'm looking for rather then going off on silly tangents about what you think ignorance means.

<sigh>

Obviously if this forum was just full of new players then no help would be provided, because everyone would generally be as ignorant as everyone else. This forum is for players to ask questions and have someone answer questions.

You asked a question ("why would this in any way be an exploit?") ... I provided an answer.

As for your other question, you earn commendations by doing quests not just killing players.

And I'm sorry if you still think that saying that someone is ignorant about something is in some way rude. Providing a dictionary definition I thought would help enlighten you and remove that particular ignorance, but it seems to have just enraged you. And just FYI - it isn't what I think ignorance means, it is the actual meaning of it. If you were ignorant of that then I humbly apologise.

Ah cool, you can get merc comms from missions? do i pick these up from the daily vendor? from what ive been reading i can only get them from chests and from comm trading. doing a few missions wouldn't be so bad. Edited by ChairForceOne

And for anyone wanting to know - It looks like world PvP doesnt award these at all in the Tatooine free for all area. I ran into a 50 republic player who appeared to be searching for the chests as well, i was able to kill her and i didn't get any commendations for it.

Ah cool, you can get merc comms from missions? do i pick these up from the daily vendor? from what ive been reading i can only get them from chests and from comm trading. doing a few missions wouldn't be so bad.

Yes daily missions can award merc commendations. Open world PvP doesn't award commendations (directly).

One extra bit of help though, watch out for patch 1.2. The exchange rate between Warzone and Merc Commendations is changing to 1:1 ... so if you're currently converting wz->merc at 3:1 with the intention of saving them up then you'll lose out when the patch hits.

If you're doing that and spending them before the patch then no worries.

Edited by shama

ah, thats excellent news. I was going through the math on how many WZ's i'd have to do for even the low ends sets and i started to get a headache just thinking about playing that much.

So i suppose the best action to take would to be cap at 1k WZ commendations and spend 70-100 on Merc badges before each match so i can sustain 1k for when the patch hits with out over spending.