SWTOR's Best Kept Secrets? (Major spoilers possible!)

Amien

Hello everyone! So the question is, which do you think are the best plot turns, biggest surprises, and best kept secrets from the game?

For example:

I think it's really neat how reluctant alot of players are to spoiling the final boss of the foundry. Alot of people refer to him as "that other guy" haha!

best plot turns

Undoubtedly the best plot twists were all the times I was betrayed in every bloody class story I've done. I mean who would expect that in a Bioware game of all things eh? I don't even think I could recount all of them. Good thing I didn't make a drinking game out of it.

biggest surprises

I was really surprised that the only good plot in the game is the one from the very tail end of the Agents Ch1. It takes balls to market a game so heavily on story and then utterly fail to deliver everywhere but one place.

I was also heartily surprised to see them take such massive dumps all over KotOR and KotOR 2 just for the sake of a mid-level dungeon and a crappy tie-in novel. Especially when so much of the rest of the game almost feels like KotOR fanfiction at times.

and best kept secrets

What hard drugs the development team was on. Especially the class & UI designers

As a runner up, how big is the rod that's stuck up GZ's backside and who thought it would be a good idea to let him post on the forums when said rod drives him to be such a dick in the majority of his posts?

I was also heartily surprised to see them take such massive dumps all over KotOR and KotOR 2 just for the sake of a mid-level dungeon and a crappy tie-in novel. Especially when so much of the rest of the game almost feels like KotOR fanfiction at times.

At first I was angry too about the Foundry (Empire). But after a while I sat and thought about it. I realized that it was time to move on from Revan. He was obviously broken from is struggles, and it's time for new heroes to step in and oppose the empire, like Satele Shan for example.

At first I was angry too about the Foundry (Empire). But after a while I sat and thought about it. I realized that it was time to move on from Revan. He was obviously broken from is struggles, and it's time for new heroes to step in and oppose the empire, like Satele Shan for example.

You're missing the point entirely. Having Revan in the game (and novel) AT ALL is mucking up KotOR. Same with having the Exile around screwing up KotOR 2.

There's a very big problem with making games that purport to have meaningful choices in them, then you go back a few years later and say, "Right. This is what actually happened and if you didn't follow these steps to the letter then you're wrong and I'm right. To hell with your nostalgia and such." More than anything else, nostalgia is what Star Wars freaking runs on . Damaging that in any way is absolutely retarded. This game would never have come to pass were it not for people's love of KotOR, yet they went out of their way to make it so that anyone who didn't play a male, pure Light Side Revan and a female, pure Light Side Exile with a goofy name objectively wrong.

That's like if Lucas made a new, Laserdisc only, Special Edition of the Original Trilogy where Luke dies when the Death Star explodes and he's replaced by Biggs for the rest of the movies, and then Lucas declared that only that one particular edition counts. It's just plain dumb.

And like that above example, it's dumb for no reason other than to be dumb. There is zero need for it from a story standpoint. Obsidian went to great lengths to make sure that whenever KotOR 2 referenced Revan, and KotOR in general, that you could make it true to whatever choices you picked in KotOR. That's good writing and attention to detail. Obviously that exact method wouldn't work too very well here with the multiplayer conversations, but there are other ways to honor people's prior choices and still tell a good story.

Here's one that's in the game right this second: the Revanite quest line on Dromand Kaas. One of the NPCs specifically states that they don't even know Revans gender and, while they talk about how Revan mastered both the Light and Dark Sides, they never make any mention of what alignment Revan was at the end of the war. Ambiguity allows the writer to call back to KotOR and still respect whatever choices the player made way back in 2003. That is much better writing and shows far greater concern for the feelings of loyal players than anything in the Foundry and the bloody tie-in novel.

So far, finding out who all the conspirators are in the Star Cabal was the biggest jaw dropper in the game for me! Characters I know, like, and respect from other story arcs, and the Imperial Agent finds out they're part of a galaxy-wide conspiracy that makes the X-Files and Lost look simple! I will not be naming names, however. You will have to find out on your own if you play the IA. :D

You're missing the point entirely. Having Revan in the game (and novel) AT ALL is mucking up KotOR. Same with having the Exile around screwing up KotOR 2.

There's a very big problem with making games that purport to have meaningful choices in them, then you go back a few years later and say, "Right. This is what actually happened and if you didn't follow these steps to the letter then you're wrong and I'm right. To hell with your nostalgia and such." More than anything else, nostalgia is what Star Wars freaking runs on . Damaging that in any way is absolutely retarded. This game would never have come to pass were it not for people's love of KotOR, yet they went out of their way to make it so that anyone who didn't play a male, pure Light Side Revan and a female, pure Light Side Exile with a goofy name objectively wrong.

That's like if Lucas made a new, Laserdisc only, Special Edition of the Original Trilogy where Luke dies when the Death Star explodes and he's replaced by Biggs for the rest of the movies, and then Lucas declared that only that one particular edition counts. It's just plain dumb.

And like that above example, it's dumb for no reason other than to be dumb. There is zero need for it from a story standpoint. Obsidian went to great lengths to make sure that whenever KotOR 2 referenced Revan, and KotOR in general, that you could make it true to whatever choices you picked in KotOR. That's good writing and attention to detail. Obviously that exact method wouldn't work too very well here with the multiplayer conversations, but there are other ways to honor people's prior choices and still tell a good story.

Here's one that's in the game right this second: the Revanite quest line on Dromand Kaas. One of the NPCs specifically states that they don't even know Revans gender and, while they talk about how Revan mastered both the Light and Dark Sides, they never make any mention of what alignment Revan was at the end of the war. Ambiguity allows the writer to call back to KotOR and still respect whatever choices the player made way back in 2003. That is much better writing and shows far greater concern for the feelings of loyal players than anything in the Foundry and the bloody tie-in novel.

I always played as the mullet guy for Revan personally and the Revan they picked looks quite similar to him. Though a smaller body type like if you had done scoundrel, which i often did.

I always played as the mullet guy for Revan personally and the Revan they picked looks quite similar to him. Though a smaller body type like if you had done scoundrel, which i often did.

He was downright emaciated in both Jedi Prisoner and Foundry. But then, 300 years in pseudo-stasis will do that to someone. Even someone as bad*** as Revan.

Yeah except everything about the game was known to those who cared months before release due to beta leaks. If anything was a secret or a surprise to you, it was because you didn't want to know.

I may be wrong on this, but wasn't a light-side male Revan canon before SWTOR was out?

Same with the Exile, wasn't she named Meetra before SWTOR?

Yup, it was known way way before hand, but not officially confirmed. Her full name Meetra Surik was officially established for the novel, but I remember hearing it before hand, un-officially.

I may be wrong on this, but wasn't a light-side male Revan canon before SWTOR was out?

Same with the Exile, wasn't she named Meetra before SWTOR?

Like he said crappy novel. That yes predates the launch of the game by a month or so if i remember correctly. The Novel "Revan" states that about Revan and the exile.

But the point is the point, cleary the novel was made to make the bridge of SWTOR story and KOTORs stories. Naturaly the story of SWTOR regarding this was developed at same time as the Novel, by the same author btw.

That said it doenst change a thing though. Its crappy storyteling at best. I read the book, and i didnt like it, if it wasnt about revan and Kotor, i would probably hate it, i wont lie was nice to see a folow up, but at a tremendous cost imo.

Yup, it was known way way before hand, but not officially confirmed. Her full name Meetra Surik was officially established for the novel, but I remember hearing it before hand, un-officially.
not way way before hand was in November if im not mistaken and swtor launch was December, and yes it was official as soon the book was avaiable in the stores.

The book didnt mention Revan fates at the foundry naturaly. And Revan creator Drew Karpyshyn ( the same guy from the mass effect, and KOTOR) already stated that revan might not be dead, they actualy had Revan vanish in a lightning on porpuse. If they will pursue the story of revan in later content?, i dont know, and im not sure if they already decided yet still, but they cleary felt more comfortable doing this way for future stuff.