Traveling is not epic

Supernova

I don't mind travelling, especially if there is an exploration element and some danger involved.

none of that here... it's multiple zoning, clicking on a door or a lift button, run a little, click, zone, loading screen to spaceship, click on door, zone again etc...

It's not quality gameplay.

Travelling from Qeynos to Butcherblock in EQ1 was an adventure, took me 2 days, grouped with a number of people on the way to get past some hard spots, and never felt boring.

Yes I agree the timesink that EQ1 was would not work nowadays, but I am with the OP re boring 'travelling' in TOR.

As far as exp goes, if anything I find the levelling too fast in this game. I would not mind if it was a bit (reasonably) more difficult than it is now. What I do mind is repetitive boring actions that are time consuming.

I think that depends,my JK is in Belsavis and i cant get hardly anywhere to my missions without some mob aggroing me and finding the next speeder hub is always a relief,but even then you can stay on the main paths with your speeder and most times outrun them.

That said,my main point above is making travel easier or Guildhalls or something like that destroys community in games like this,i really dont know what more to add so il leave it that but you EQ2 players know what happened when like above i said,it killed the community and it wasnt until Public Raids that i even knew there was about 20 other guilds lol,where did they come from lol.

Or they will just have one central hub and ALL areas will be little instances that they can click,,,oh wait?

That's what Hellgate: London did. In that game it made a lot of sense.

In this game I like the travel on speeders and taxis. I turn the UI off and chill out watching the scenery (espeically on Alderaaan - very pretty scenery).

The running through spaceports, though, is tedious beyond belief.

Bioware, instead of making me spend 30 second running through a boring corridoor, please give me 30 seconds of sitting in a shuttle looking out the window as we take off, achieve orbit and dock with a space station. All set to cool Star Wars music of course.

I think improvements cud b made to transport infrastructure. There should b a mainline through zones that u can pay to travel along, then have smaller links off each main point to various placEs that u have to discover itself, would cut down on some of the long runs and allow higher levels comming for 1 quest at the end to get there faster and makes some logical sense. Also speeders that have some speed would be good.

I thought MMO gamers, choosing to share a world with other gamers would have a deeper respect for others ideas and requirements rather than minifesting their own in comments per quote. Please restrain for speaking for others "us mmo gamers", you do have the right to offer your own opinion .....

Sharing a world means you should actually have to walk on that land.

I kinda miss the long treks from eq, sittin on the beach waiting for a boat, then a sneaky journey to go grind out some lvls. Super rare spawns, big open worlds, and you will get the crap beat out of you if you are by yourself.

jboots

I kinda miss the long treks from eq, sittin on the beach waiting for a boat, then a sneaky journey to go grind out some lvls. Super rare spawns, big open worlds, and you will get the crap beat out of you if you are by yourself.

jboots

I don't for the the same reason i don't like getting stuck in traffic while driving to work

Edited by Lt_Latency

My only problem with the travelling is that it is mostly taken up with load screens.

I don't mind travelling across tatooine on my speeder, I like the big open planets. But going through half a dozen load screens to get from one planet to another wears me out quickly. It's boring, I am not in control, I cannot pause it and divert if I see something interesting (especially since it is simply the same load screen every time).

I don't know how you would counter it for SWTOR considering your usual MMO is medieval fantasy and you dont travel from planet to planet. Whereas you cant just walk from coruscant to tython without loading up a ship in some way.

Maybe it's because SWTOR's my first MMO, but I feel like the traveling issue's kind of central to a lot of the lamer aspects of the game.

I agree that the scenery's nice and whatnot up to a certain point, but lets be honest, if you're wowed by the graphics you were probably frozen in carbonite shortly after KOTOR 2 came out and reanimated last month.

In short, after the first time you play a planet around 50% through, you're sick of driving and grinding and your mission is pretty much to knock out (and enjoy) your quests without too much unnecessary diversion.

Exploration is not nearly all its cracked up to be since by the time you've found the outermost limits of any planet, you're already superleveled for your next planet and the grinding will be even MORE irritating and valueless.

Sometimes I feel that all I do in ToR is traveling and it doesn't feel epic at all...

If traveling is not epic, then why did anyone go see the Lord of the Rings films?

Three films of walking. Even the trees walked in that film.

LAME.

Not to mention the giant Eagle plothole.

If traveling is not epic, then why did anyone go see the Lord of the Rings films?

Three films of walking. Even the trees walked in that film.

LAME.

Not to mention the giant Eagle plothole.

Um that wasn't a plot hole... The whole point of going to Mordor in such a small band was because of SECRECY flying giant eagles into the heart of your enemies empire/kingdom/what-ever-you-want-to-call-it is not SECRET... But meh I'm getting off topic.

EDIT: Did you even read the books?

Edited by GeneralRadex

Um that wasn't a plot hole... The whole point of going to Mordor in such a small band was because of SECRECY flying giant eagles into the heart of your enemies empire/kingdom/what-ever-you-want-to-call-it is not SECRET... But meh I'm getting off topic.

EDIT: Did you even read the books?

Because an evil king would totally suspect his enemies to do a fly by to a volcano on the back of a giant eagle.

It's a plot hole. A massive freaking plot hole.

Legions upon upon legions of orc archers aren't good for an eagles health and neither is Sauron himself or the Nazgul and their mounts.

So he can predict the enemy will ride by on eagleback, but he didn't think to guard the mouth of the mountain. At the very least, he could have sealed it up so no one else could get to it. I know if MY enemies stole my One Ring, I'd at least invest in a freaking volcano stopper. Or put some Orc sentries around the mouth so that way anyone caught near the lava pools, they'd get bisected and I get my Ring back.

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

So he can predict the enemy will ride by on eagleback, but he didn't think to guard the mouth of the mountain. At the very least, he could have sealed it up so no one else could get to it. I know if MY enemies stole my One Ring, I'd at least invest in a freaking volcano stopper. Or put some Orc sentries around the mouth so that way anyone caught near the lava pools, they'd get bisected and I get my Ring back.

Predict? Out of the million+ orcs in Mordor at the time not a single one not even Sauron a demigod who had a palantir can see a giant eagle flying over there heads and think to shoot it down? Anyways reply if you like but I don't feel like derailing the thread any further.

Edited by GeneralRadex

Predict? Out of the million+ orcs in Mordor at the time not a single one not even Sauron (More or less a demigod) can see a giant eagle flying over there heads and think to shoot it down? Anyways reply if you like but I don't feel like derailing the thread any further.

I'd imagine they wouldn't. What, a giant eagle can't fly in the air? You see an eagle, you shoot it down? That's profiling.

OH! Just had a great idea for a comedy sketch.

Well its not like giant eagles are native to some massive ashen wasteland... H*ll the orcs might just want to eat it if they see it...

ANYWAYS... How exactly did you want traveling to be "epic" OP? I mean in Star Wars its basically as simple as flying your ship to a planet running around completing your mission on said planet and leaving... Not much room for "epic"

Edited by GeneralRadex

I don't mind traveling. But when I reached a taxi point, it would be nice that this taxi point is attached to the rest of the map taxis. For example, on Belsavis there are 2 taxi "types" that are not connected to each other. You need about 10 minutes to get there and once you're there, you can't use a taxi to go back and fourth. That's the kind of traveling that bothers me.

I don't mind taking 10 minutes to get somewhere, but once I'm there I'm expecting to be able to go back with a taxi or something.

Travel in this game sucks, period. More like Star Wars, The Old Run Around Through Empty Buildings After Waiting on Loading Screens.

I predicted several months back that they would start making changes that would reduce travel, and many people were like 'no way travel adds to the immersion blah, blah, blah.'

Yet look at what is coming in 1.2: sprint at level 1, decrease cool-downs on quick travel / fleet pass, speeders usable in more places, and ability to skip orbital stations.

They also have things like speeders at level 10 already announced for future legacy additions.

It is only a matter of time before we have the ability to summon, get speeders even earlier, and have things like grouping tools that port you to the instance.

Edited by DawnAskham

I don't mind travelling, especially if there is an exploration element and some danger involved.

none of that here... it's multiple zoning, clicking on a door or a lift button, run a little, click, zone, loading screen to spaceship, click on door, zone again etc...

It's not quality gameplay.

Travelling from Qeynos to Butcherblock in EQ1 was an adventure, took me 2 days, grouped with a number of people on the way to get past some hard spots, and never felt boring.

Yes I agree the timesink that EQ1 was would not work nowadays, but I am with the OP re boring 'travelling' in TOR.

As far as exp goes, if anything I find the levelling too fast in this game. I would not mind if it was a bit (reasonably) more difficult than it is now. What I do mind is repetitive boring actions that are time consuming.

This is pretty true.

Some of it will be fixed with their quick travel enhancements though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.