The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tried my hand at a build 21/20/0 (cigar city mafia spec)

Nydar

ps hit 56 tonight, even if that patch is tuesday, absolutely no way I am not BM before the patch, of course you were right.......no way i get geared, but I had assumed when i made that comment that I had till the end of the month. :)

No idea what the hell I am going to do yet I keep thinking I am going to go Ironfist, but I wouldn't mind going full shield, but everyone that I talk to, excluding you, tells me that is totally broken and a bad spec for pvp, but then that's just people on my server, and I can tell from reading your stuff that you've put like way more thought in to this than any of them have.

I've no idea....still....what I am going to do after 1.2. I que solo a lot, and from comments I read here AP really shines in a group, so deep AP is off the table I guess, full pyro isn't practical for me because I NEED to be able to tank in pve. So, if I want to be able to tank, and still have a solid pvp spec am I to assume that IF really is the only choice I can make?

Anyways, sorry if that rambled, I am very tired, and probably had a few too many as well.

ps sorry if I misinterpreted you earlier and was consequently rude.

I am going to assume that when you say you NEED to tank in pvp, you actually mean you WANT to tank. There is nothing "broken" about our shieldtech tree. Alot of people just repeat things they dont understand, then it gets exaggerated. What you need to understand is that a tank's defenses do not mitigated damage in pvp when comparing it to pve tanking. Most of the attacks cant be shielded, and other attacks bypass armor. You still have more survivability than dps specs.

Anyone who tells you Full ST is "broken" while IF is "great" is absolutely clueless. Full ST in terms of PvP is different from full ST for PvE. You take the talents that are geared towards PvP and still for the most part geared in DPS gear.

I personally feel that a PvP PT tank, IF or full ST, is much better suited for group. For solo however, dps is more effective.

I am going to assume that when you say you NEED to tank in pvp, you actually mean you WANT to tank. There is nothing "broken" about our shieldtech tree. Alot of people just repeat things they dont understand, then it gets exaggerated. What you need to understand is that a tank's defenses do not mitigated damage in pvp when comparing it to pve tanking. Most of the attacks cant be shielded, and other attacks bypass armor. You still have more survivability than dps specs.

Anyone who tells you Full ST is "broken" while IF is "great" is absolutely clueless. Full ST in terms of PvP is different from full ST for PvE. You take the talents that are geared towards PvP and still for the most part geared in DPS gear.

I personally feel that a PvP PT tank, IF or full ST, is much better suited for group. For solo however, dps is more effective.

I don't need to tank in pvp. I play with some rl friends and i am pretty much expected to tank in pve, especially hard modes. I don't mind, I like to tank, the thing is they aren't much of pvpers, and I end up qued solo 1/2 the time or more so I like to be able to do some dps. Dual spec would really solve my problem. :)

I don't need to tank in pvp. I play with some rl friends and i am pretty much expected to tank in pve, especially hard modes. I don't mind, I like to tank, the thing is they aren't much of pvpers, and I end up qued solo 1/2 the time or more so I like to be able to do some dps. Dual spec would really solve my problem. :)

When I started out I was in the same boat, had to tank PVE, and still manage to be useful in peeveepee. here's what I came up with

If your PVE gear is weak or you need to tank nightmares, then something like this will give you plenty of threat and mitigation:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGdboroGZMsr0oZb.1

some people call it a variation of the "iron fist" not sure why HE gets to name it, I've been running it since beta, maybe if I got a youtube channel I could name some specs?

If your PVE gear or your healer is good, I'd say just stay CP as long as you possibly can, I've tanked many hardmodes as CP. Tanking in this game is pretty easy. Hell, I once tanked a hard mode in tionese eleminator gear because I wanted to see how the 4 piece set affected my heat, (I decide that it was not worthwhile since most rail shots are free anyway and stuck with the combat tech/supercommando gear).

Come 1.2 I will be moving to what I call my "Hutt Ball Hero" spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGb0MdoZMsbzZbIb0z.1

Yes, it's crap damage, BUT before people start flaming me, it plays just like CP minus the procs(which we lose in 1.2 anyway) so no adjustments required, has most of the damage mitigation talents that actually affect PVP and is perfectly viable for sub-nightmare tanking, has jet charge for scoring and pull+root for putting their ball carriers/healers in the fire, so much fun in hutt ball, much less usefull elsewhere, I just find a healer to guard and keep yanking, charging, rooting, cc'ing, taunting, anyone that tries to kill em. Since I'm pretty much not killing anyone :cool: except maybe an OP healz, those guys are squishy as a taco bell ****.

IMO anything in the shield tree above jet charge is virtually worthless in pvp. A low damage move that vents heat? I'd rather use a high damage move and some autoshots. Extra shield chance? 80% of damage in PVP can't be shielded so that's not very good, the straight 2% damage reduction from AP is better and comes with some extra dps talents.

Edited by Warsire

No, see that wasn't condescending or smarmy at all, it was cordial and informational and i appreciate it.

So, I'd be better off going with my super commando set until I can get a suit of combat tech?

I went with a 4 piece SC set. I'm always running with IGC and guard on someone, so the 5% damage to everything felt more useful to me than a crit boost to just 1 ability. However I am running with DPS ear piece, implants, relics, and boots. I've also modded a couple of the absorb/accuracy pieces with crit/surge.