The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sitting here staring at my Jugg

Naraskgrim

So I can't seem to stop staring at my jugg's immortal skill tree and wondering just *** is going to be happening to me in 1.2. I have read through the patch note and love that they are giving me a 50% threat increase to crushing blow and all that but i still just don't see exactly how effective my class is going to be at endgame. With the PT and all that having an easier time tanking and all I just kind of wonder what is happening to me. I legitamately enjoy this game and its is my first time rolling an endgame tank class in any mmo. But really i just see this character lacking the true productiveness a tank has. I have the Damage reduction with a cd of 3 minutes. But where my aoe threat generators.... There isn't one. I love guarding in pvp but it only is great when i pop it on healers. who are healing me otherwise i just die quicker and no effectiveness comes out of it. Maybe i am just delirious but i love playing this class even though it is slow as hell to level (even though I have hit level 40 in 2 weeks of playing) but I almost feel like my jug is just going to be put on a shelf the second i hit 50 with it...

Now I will say that I haven't hit level 50 yet and maybe thats what it is. I would love some input from the endgame jugs ... how effective is this class endgame both pvp and pve wise... And 1 more thing that pisses me off a little.... Why am i looking at level 50's of all classes and role sitting there with the same health as a Jugg... sometime even more... It just doesnt seem right to me to see a sniper standing next to a jug with the jug only having 100 more hp than the sniper......

T_T I really dont want to put this class on a shelf but I want to make a truly effective endgame tank and in this game that requires some aoe threat generators... not just taunts

T_T I really dont want to put this class on a shelf but I want to make a truly effective endgame tank and in this game that requires some aoe threat generators... not just taunts

I think this is the crux of the issue. without playing at endgame at 50, your making decisions based solely on patch notes and what others are saying. here's a few facts:

1) Jugg's are currently playing and raiding endgame content without any issues. Repeat...Jugg's are tanking and DPS'ing endgame content with no issues. And the are getting buffed in 1.2, whereas PT's are getting a (mild) nerf.

2) Jugg is a more technically challenging class to play (not horribly so, bit it's there) so not everyone will get the best results from them.

3) Player perception is usually wrong. the stats on sheer numbers of Juggs being played is directly opposite of what seems to be the current player viewpoint. If you just read the forums, you would believe that 1: Juggs suck at tanking, and 2: jugg's suck at DPS. but the sheer numbers of people playing the class (2nd highest on Bio's count) say something different. Believe it or not, the PT is one of the least played, even though the popular rumor is that they are "great" tanks.

4) the necessity of AoE threat is a hotly discussed issue, but there are plenty of people on BOTH side of the argument. I personally am in the field of "we don't need AoE threat when DPS can individually target and take down silvers on their own. If i can hold 2-3 mobs ill be fine. but I can currently do that.

the only thing in question is...what do you enjoy playing? Because of player bias (read, not factual), it will be a bit tougher to get a raid spot. But you will be able to find one if you keep at it (i.e. find a decent guild that knows what it's doing). If you want FOTM and auto-invite, you may want to go Assassin. I hear the EZ mode players are possibly heading in that direction (at least until they're nerfed too)

I love the class and i love the technicality of the class it makes the tanking dynamic fun @ pre 50 but I think your post just reasserted why I should keep playing the class and I appreciate it alot. I just know that endgame bias could be what ruins my character but then again there are always warzones i could run

I am 10/10 NiM 8 man main tank and working on 16 without having any problems on my end. Trash pulls are bs but I stopped caring bout holding everything, I hold what will hurt the dps and let the rest of the mobs free reign (this isn't saying I don't try with aoe taunts/grenades and the like just lose aoe agro so easily >.<).

I can easily say all the wipes i've encountered have not been to me dieing or me not having the right skill set/similar skill set of other classes.

I am 10/10 NiM 8 man main tank and working on 16 without having any problems on my end. Trash pulls are bs but I stopped caring bout holding everything, I hold what will hurt the dps and let the rest of the mobs free reign (this isn't saying I don't try with aoe taunts/grenades and the like just lose aoe agro so easily >.<).

I can easily say all the wipes i've encountered have not been to me dieing or me not having the right skill set/similar skill set of other classes.

This is my approach as well. Hold the big guys, protect the healer, rest is gravy.

And gratz on sticking with it OP. I echo you in the issue of perception, but interestingly enough, in reality I find myself that guild are happy with Jugg's as tanks. At least the 3 guilds that my juggs belong to have no problems running jugg's as tanks.

My guild only has Juggernaut tanks, and we're running 16-man hard modes 3 days a week (well normally 2, at this point. one night for EV and one for KP. third night is for any rollover). I switch off every week with the other Jug tank as main, we don't typically have any problems unless the night's main tank does something stupid.

So as far as raiding goes, Juggernauts have no problem tanking.

As for your worry about AoE aggro, I will say this not with any ill intent, but simply as fact: if you're having trouble keeping aggro where you need it, you need to learn how to play a tank in this game better. You really do not need anything more besides your AoE taunt (even if it is kind of lame it's on a thirty second cooldown when specced into it). Work on your timing, positioning, etc. until it's all you need. Have Guard bound to a key where it's easy to swap targets mid-battle.

Also keep in mind that you do not necessarily need to have aggro on all enemies at all times to keep your teammates safe. Immortal Juggernauts get Push, non-channel Choke, Backhand, a free AoE slow, and their AoE stun (even though it only lasts a couple seconds). Use these wisely and aggro is hardly a factor when enemies can't touch your teammates.

Again, I don't like to sound harsh, but the bottom line is: if you're having trouble as a Juggernaut tank, you're doing it wrong. Reading these posts is the first I hear that Jugs are getting a buff in 1.2, and frankly I'm surprised the devs think they need it.