Trooper or Smuggler story arc?

Italbom

Hi, I am trying to decide if I should play as a Republic Trooper or Smuggler for my next character. What are your thoughts on which has the better story arc? Ill be playing it light side.

I have just finished of an evil sith inquisitor assassin, so its time to shoot things :)

Im not done with the stories on republic side, so I cant tell you much about that. But you should also think about what kind of gameplay you like.

Smuggler -

Scoundrel gives you a close-ranged stealth class. Either as DD or Healer.

DD would be the classic MMO Rogue class, healer combined with stealth on the other hand is rather unique, never seen that before in games i played so far. If you enjoyed stealthing with your assassin you might not wanna miss it again... so Scoundrel might be a good class for you.

Gunslinger is ranged DD and can be played as a dot-class (more mobile), a bomber (still a bit mobile) or a hunter-type character (rather stationary in cover). So if you wanna go ranged, this might be good for you.

Trooper

Strong class, dont have much experience here, so maybe someone else tells you more.

Hi, I am trying to decide if I should play as a Republic Trooper or Smuggler for my next character. What are your thoughts on which has the better story arc? Ill be playing it light side.

I have just finished of an evil sith inquisitor assassin, so its time to shoot things :)

i got a light gunslinger lv 50 and a dark scoundrel lvl 50 and a lvl 30 trooper but id say story wise go for the smuggler hands up best story so scanky and funny made me laugh so many times.

didnt like the trooper story that much to much military and strickt not much laughing and joking about also thought the companions was pretty dull compared to smuggler

i got a light gunslinger lv 50 and a dark scoundrel lvl 50 and a lvl 30 trooper but id say story wise go for the smuggler hands up best story so scanky and funny made me laugh so many times.

didnt like the trooper story that much to much military and strickt not much laughing and joking about also thought the companions was pretty dull compared to smuggler

Military = Entire point of Trooper Class.

Its not another smuggler, not sure what you were expecting.

Trooper has an excellent story for most of chapter 1 which is kind of muted for the rest of it(Though it does have some good choices along the way in chapter 2 and 3)

It definitely lets you see more of the down and dirty side of Republic politics and military.

For the smuggler. What can I say? The story has hilarious, whoever wrote it had some serious jokes. My only problem with it is the same problem I have with most other stories.

I have started both for Republic toons but am waiting to level them after 1.2 but I do know that right away, I was most entertained by the smugglers character as far as responses and attitude. Excellent at playing the reluctant hero IMO.

Which is?

I don't hate the main villain enough.

Skavik is your rival in the beginning chapters but he's primarily comic relief, after I got my ship back I had no real reason to hate him. He was just an annoyance. The voidwolf didn't have any build up other than a scene on Quesh which was also primarily comic relief. I wanted to see him hit me where it hurts in true KOTOR fashion to make me really want to kill him. I didn't get that.

Stories which do a good job of establishing the main villain are as follows: Sith Warrior - Dear Lord, how I hated Darth Baras. Amazing villain. Agent - While Code Name Hunter wasn't as established as I like due to various secret agent tropes, Ardun Kothe, whether you loved him or hated him was such an amazing character for chapter 2 that it made up for any slowness in chapter 3, especially when he showed up in the game's epilogue if you let him live. Consular - While he didn't do anything to make me 'hate' him per se. Master Syo Bakarn had been there from the start. Learning he was the villain was a real emotional gut punch, and they did a great job in making him seem like a tragic figure. Jedi Knight - Darth Angral and the Emperor were both decent, with Angral probably topping the Emperor due to his actions.

Now for the stories that did it terribly: Inquisitor - Why does Darth Thanaton hate me again? A few minutes of elaboration might have fixed this up nicely, but he just didn't deliver. Bounty Hunter - Okay, great build up, but it didn't deliver on the Jedi Battlemaster who set you up. We learn absolutely nothing about him or his motivations. Trooper - While the story did a good job in Chapter 1 establishing the characters of each Havoc squad traitor, it didn't really deliver enough on Tavus. After Chapter 1 the story slowed down, and Rakton certainly didn't fit the bill either.

I want villains that I can loathe and despise, like Darth Malak from KOTOR1. And some stories didn't have that.

Thanks guys! Sounds like both characters and stories are really good for differing reasons. Ill just have to play both! ... eventually

Anyway I stated a trooper because I do like my military by jingo! If it gets too slow like some people are suggesting around chapter 2-3 then ill just start another character.

Thanks once again :)