Grapple - 1.2 fix?

Vanash

Basically I've noticed (in Huttball especially) that Grapple has a really random element to it.

Before people mention resolve, i'm sensible enough to be aware of resolve bars etc before trying to grapple.

so, the problem(s)...

1) Grapple often does not work on targets who'se resolve bar is dropping and has fallen to around 50%. The animation kicks off but no effect.

2) Line of Sight issues. A player can be in line of sight and range when grapple is activated but if they go around a corner/clip an object during the animation no effect is applied.

3) No likey 3D, Often when grapple up or down a level it just gives up and drops short.

4) Inquisitors/sages sprint, how is it their speed buff is never cancelled out and the grapple effect applied?

It's a great ability and causes alot of tears for opponents, but It is so unreliable that when it works it feels more like a major achievement than working as it should.

I've seen no mention of any fixes to these problems in the notes and was wondering if any people on PTS had noticed any improvements?

Edited by Vanash

Basically I've noticed (in Huttball especially) that Grapple has a really random element to it.

Before people mention resolve, i'm sensible enough to be aware of resolve bars etc before trying to grapple.

so, the problem(s)...

1) Grapple often does not work on targets who'se resolve bar is dropping and has fallen to around 50%. The animation kicks off but no effect.

2) Line of Sight issues. A player can be in line of sight and range when grapple is activated but if they go around a corner/clip an object during the animation no effect is applied.

3) No likey 3D, Often when grapple up or down a level it just gives up and drops short.

4) Inquisitors/sages sprint, how is it their speed buff is never cancelled out and the grapple effect applied?

It's a great ability and causes alot of tears for opponents, but It is so unreliable that when it works it feels more like a major achievement than working as it should.

I've seen no mention of any fixes to these problems in the notes and was wondering if any people on PTS had noticed any improvements?

It is definitely unreliable and is buggy at times, especially with the LOS issues you mentioned. But I did want to point out something with regards to the Resolve Bar. Not only should you not use it when resolve is capped, but also when it is white and dropping. After it is capped, and it starts to drop, that's actually the immunity period. It's not only at cap.

so, the problem(s)...

1) When the enemy's Resolve bar is white, whether it's maxed out or dropping, he is CC-immune (but not immune to snares and most roots). This is why your Grapple isn't working here.

2) Actually the effect usually is applied, but it doesn't do anything since it calculates the trajectory of your opponent after they turn the corner (unlike with most other abilities that do this calculation when you fire off the ability). Because the calculation and effect is applied after the enemy turns the corner, they hit the wall/corner they turned around and never come to you.

I don't see an issue with your Grapple rooting the enemy in place when you cast it so that the enemy gets pulled to you properly, but this wouldn't solve corner cases where you Grapple a falling or jumping enemy.

3) This is actually a similar situation to #2. What tends to happen is the enemy is still "around a corner" because your grapple hits their chest but you only have a clear LOS to their head (if they are above you on a ramp/catwalk). I usually do pull the person but sometimes it bugs out. What sucks is when there is another catwalk/ramp above the person's head: my grapple causes them to fly up, bang their head on the ramp for zero damage, and fall back down. The enemy doesn't go anywhere and my Grapple CD is wasted.

4) Do you mean the SI/JC gets grappled into your melee range but their Speed effect doesn't get removed? If so, this is working properly; that effect isn't cancelled upon CC/slow/root as it will last the full 2 second duration. The only way to stop a Speeder in their tracks is to root or stun them right after they use the ability.

Edited by Mapex

Thanks guys, explained alot of the problems, esp the resolve issue. That one really annoyed me, but seems it's 'working as intended'.

Still so annoying that especially in huttball the resolve bar is full/dropping 90% of the time an opponent has the ball close to the last fire :mad: