Build thoughts for me

jjhurst

I've been playing as a Sorc for about 2 days now, and was wondering how this build would hold up. Please constructive criticism because I am indeed, a noob.

Build:

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-inquisitor/sorcerer/?p=020000000000000000032302200120122030003022202031001000000

Thought process:

DPS build (single target mostly). Focusing on target I would theoretically cast

Affliction

Force Lightning my butt off until Wrath procs then Lightning Strike

Keep Electrocute, Shock, ect. in my back pocket in case problems arise.

Sure I have chain lighting now but I wouldnt use it probably unless im grinding through easy stuff or in a pvp sort of thing.

Feel free to call me stupid but please correct my thinking, thanks!

By no means am I trying to give you grief but you are probably not getting a response because there is so much out there on builds and such. Just need to do a little research.

Also, 1.2 will be bringing ner...err, changes.. so some of the current information will be changing.

If you have only been playing for 2 days then go with what is most comfortable for you. You can adjust as you go.

I've been playing as a Sorc for about 2 days now, and was wondering how this build would hold up. Please constructive criticism because I am indeed, a noob.

Build:

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-inquisitor/sorcerer/?p=020000000000000000032302200120122030003022202031001000000

Thought process:

DPS build (single target mostly). Focusing on target I would theoretically cast

Affliction

Force Lightning my butt off until Wrath procs then Lightning Strike

Keep Electrocute, Shock, ect. in my back pocket in case problems arise.

Sure I have chain lighting now but I wouldnt use it probably unless im grinding through easy stuff or in a pvp sort of thing.

Feel free to call me stupid but please correct my thinking, thanks!

Well it is good to think beyond wrath-->chain lightning now because it goes away anyway in patch 1.2

If you are looking for versatility (i.e. pvp/pve mix) I'd take electric bindings before backlash. I think the root there is far more useful. Likewise I'd think about swapping seeping darkness for haunted dreams unless you intend to be 99% pve.

I would also move oppressing force to other more valuable areas. 50 instead of 60 seconds for electrocute feels negligible, and the 2 additional /standard' targets would be solo-benefit only. Death field is far to valuable to leave it off any spec that goes at least 11 deep in madness. Ironically it and chain lightning despite being billed as your multi-target abilities are actually your strongest single-target ones as well.

If you need a big burst of damage in short order reckless-->death field-->shock is your only sure thing. In a wrath-built spec lightning strike's only real value is trying to proc lightning-storm insta-chain lightning, without that it is actually more damage to sit there and force-lightning spam.

For example given my stats (granted this is weighted by pvp not pve gear) the tooltips read:

1028-1092 in a 1.43 second activation time on Lightning strike

2842 damage over 2.85 seconds for force lightning.

So barring both lightning-strikes critting compared to less then half the force-lightning ticks, the damage doesn't come close to comparable.

Edited by paul_preib

By no means am I trying to give you grief but you are probably not getting a response because there is so much out there on builds and such. Just need to do a little research.

Also, 1.2 will be bringing ner...err, changes.. so some of the current information will be changing.

If you have only been playing for 2 days then go with what is most comfortable for you. You can adjust as you go.

This.

With the new changes of 1.2 builds and players views on Sorcs might change a bit so like above quote says do what you feel is right. In truth as you are leveling no specific spec help you progress in the story any fast thanthe other IMO so dont worry about it. And even in low level pvp they wont help much either because you still need time to gain levels/skill points for your spec

thank you for the input guys, in regards to paul_preib:

my original plan of attack was to spam force lightning so we're on the same page there. if wrath procs i was going to use lighting strike (since i guess CL is going to be nerfed). then continue spamming force lightning. this is why i went with the hybrid build, to maximize the damage of FL and its lasting power. with the respec with you opinions in mind, i redid the talent tree. i got rid of the whole CL tree altogether for now. I liked the forked lighting but if I wont be using LS anyway unless wrath procs, whats the use....

i added in death field so now my rotation should look something like:

crushing darkness, death field, affliction, shock, FL spam.

electrocute and whirlwind are more helpful if anything goes haywire, as well as my bubble stun and my overload stun. this maximizes my force lighting capabilities as well as gives me a great DoT(DF) and gives me a bit more survivability if stuff just goes haywire. i still had 3 talents left over so i thought about getting deathmark. i couldnt justify it because yes my DoTs will be better but I'm not relying on DoTs as much as other abilities.

new tree:

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-inquisitor/sorcerer/?p=000000000000000000032301202022022000003022302131201000000

Edited by jjhurst

Shouldn't even be using LS on wrath procs. Its damage is so pitiful, even with the 20% increase to its damage from Wrath, it's a dps loss over simply spamming more Force Lightning. The dps disparity increases as you gain more Alacrity (since Wrath LS doesn't scale with Alacrity at all). This is the major issue with essentially every Lightning Storm + Wrath build ever made. It sounds nice in theory, but in practice it ends up being about 10-15% behind other specs (including the pure 31-point specs) in sustained dps. Edited by Daellia

I would save the wrath proc for crushing darkness and take lightning strike off your skill bar completely.

I run a DPS / Heal hybrid that I started after going from full heal spec. It seems to work out nicely. (background - i was full heal and have always healed. I switched to try other things out after the nerf to heal spec, but I am still main healer for my group and I am able to do so quite well on HMs with this spec.)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhbRbZcZcrfRsbk.1

I get a 10% boost to Death Field this way from Force Suffusion in the Corruption Tree and I still have some healing utility. With Alacrity my Dark Infusion is at 2.3 seconds.

If you look at global cool down and take that into context with the damage of dots based on their duration.. you can probably just get away with a rotation like this:

Death Field ( puts death mark on the mob ) --> Force Lightning spam till you proc Wrath and then throw in an instant crushing darkness. Recast Death Field each cool down.

I don't use shock very much except when the mob is down to 1.5k HP and it is an instant that is a decent finisher. I melt most anything in my path and still have the ability to keep myself and others alive.

I don't think Affliction is worth the time of the global cool down in my opinion. Force Lightning surpasses it in DPS by leaps and bounds.

Edited by Sousukesama

I don't think Affliction is worth the time of the global cool down in my opinion. Force Lightning surpasses it in DPS by leaps and bounds.

Raw dps, perhaps, but considering Affliction only requires a single global to apply, its damage per seconds spent casting (also known as DPCT, Damage Per Cast Time) is significantly above Force Lightning's, assuming the target will live long enough for it to run its full duration. Also, keep in mind that Affliction is Internal damage, while FL is Energy, so armor will reduce FL's damage by a fairly large amount (about 30% against an ops boss), so don't just compare tooltip values.

The Damage on affliction based on my personal stats is 1758 over 15 seconds.

Cast instant Affliction - wait 2 seconds for GCD

Cast force lightning - mine is 3052 over 2.7 seconds

within 15 seconds, affliction will do it's dmg 1758

additionally, I can then cast FL 5 times and i'll hit roughly 15.5 seconds in which affliction will have run its course.

1. so 1758 internal dmg + 3052x5 energy ( can add x.7 to handle the 30% loss)

2. Comes out to 1758 + 15260 (30% energy type loss from armor is 10682)

3. so 12440 over 15.5 seconds and this takes into account the energy type loss based off OPs mob armor. Roughly 802 DPS

Force Lightning just by itself can be cast 6 times in 15.2 seconds at channel time of 2.7 per cast.

total 18312 and minus the 30% = 12818 or roughly 843 dps

That is just two spells mind, so if you throw in crushing darkness the stacked damage per cast time to DPS might be better.

Once we have combat logs this will a lot easier to see for everyone and my math could be wrong. I am used to optimizing DPS and i've played many direct damage and heaving dot dmg classes. I just think either a. Force Lightning is too good with no cool down or b. Affliction and Crushing Darkness need a damage increase to make them more viable.

Edited by Sousukesama