The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Healers & their respective endgame viabilities.

Garvick

I used to play WoW (and still do occasionally) but just started playing SW:ToR. Been thinking about going for a healer, but wondering about each healer class' viability. Are all of the advanced classes whose role is marked as healer actually viable for endgame? For example, I'm leaning towards doing the Smuggler healer class (as a big fat blue Twi'lek dude) and wondering if this is a good option.

Although the Jedi Consular seems like an obvious choice, I'm saving a Consular for a Chiss, so I'm currently workin' on a Chiss Bounty Hunter to unlock Chiss for the Republic. Anyway, are all healers able to do the endgame stuff?

Thanks.

They are all capable of doing all the endgame content, yes.

They are not all equally capable of doing it. Sorc/Sage being the easiest to pick up and use if you're familiar with WOW (since it's basically just the standard mana bar resource with familiar abilities).

Yup. They all do it. they all are getting some adjustements in 1.2 that will even the playing field out a bit as well.

And I agree, sorc/sage is probably easiest "transition". but I would encourage you to try out the others... I found the mercenary mechanic of heat buildup very interesting...gives you a totally different approach to healing then the typical "mana bar" approach. Coming from a shaman/druid/priest perspective, I really enjoyed the mechanic difference. My sage was familiar, but that sort of turned into "boring" really quickly (yeah, done that got the t-shirt)

Yep, but in the same way that every healer was viable for all content in WotLK. By that I mean, raiding guilds are still going to pick the "best possible" healers based on their class instead of their actual skill level(I say Wrath because it wasnt as bad in Cata, but it was still there). Not that that kind of behavior is new or different from any other trinity based MMORPG, just find a decent guild or expect some idiots at endgame.

As an Operative(Scoundrel mirror) who used to do a lot of healing in WoW, I fully recommend the class though :D, tons of fun. Difficult and engaging.

You can also, btw, go into your Preferences and set it to use raid frames(which are movable) for regular groups as well.

In overall usefulness, order goes Sage > Commando > Scoundrel. I main scoundrel, so I don't wanna hear anything. I just had a debate with a sage in my guild and finally logged through all my alts and noticed that Scoundrel healers are the only one with no beneficial buffs from our healing skills, and we have the worst energy replenishment, just slightly below commando, but commando has more tricks to get some back.