Gunslinger or Sentinel?

Nemhy

Hello everyone! I cannot decide which class I want to roll between these two. Which one is overall better DPS for PvE? I'm mainly going to be playing PvE content with very little to none PvP.

In PvE, You cannot go wrong either way! These are the best two DPS classes around. It comes down to if you want to be ranged DPS or melee DPS. I know you said you don't want to PvP, but if you can see yourself becoming interested in it at some point, go Sentinel.

According to everything people have gathered on the PTS, sentinels will do better dps next patch. However, there's absolutely no point in rolling the FotM-class just because it's good right now. Sentinels are already the most played republic class, while gunslingers are among the least played. Also, Gunslingers are ranged, which is a big bonus.

So if you have no preference in terms of gameplay, I'd go gunslinger. Far easier to gear one, and many groups will prefer ranged dps over melee. If the readings are true and sentinels really are outperforming gunslingers next patch, then it will be fixed in time.

...However, there's absolutely no point in rolling the FotM-class just because it's good right now....

That exactly. Sages/sorcs were considered the current FOTM class but they were brought back in line (thank god for that, maybe now we won't see 1001 of em everywhere we go). If that can happen to the most played class, then it can happen to anyone.

As to the topic itself, as everyone has been saying, it's personal preference. Do you want to dual wield blasters or lightsabers? Do you like to dish it out on the front lines or from behind?

Also a word of warning, the gunslinger utilises the cover mechanism. I would highly recommend making a low level gunslinger to at least try it out and see if you can cope with it. There are many people who like the IDEA of a gunslinger but just can't stand the cover mechanism.

Comes down to play style. A Sent/Mara doesn't have to watch resources like a GS/Sniper has too. You goof as a GS/Sniper and run your energy too low with out a CD to increase regen it can really hurt your DPS. Mara/Sent...not so much.

Mara/Sent is a more complicated class and by that I mean lots of buttons and stuff to keep an eye on in combat.

Really comes down to your play style and what you prefer.

Also one is range and one is melee. Depending on the fight mechanics that is a major factor. It can go both ways but in general ranged will be better to have. Just depends on the fight, some fights are much more difficult with a melee heavy group.

Once again the most important thing is to pick one that fits your play style. I like to PVP a lot but I went with GS even though its a tricky job. I just don't like trying to manage the bazillion buttons a Sent has with the lack luster feedback the UI gives. No matter how much better a Sent gets in damage than a GS I won't play one, don't enjoy it that much.

My main is a sniper, and I am currently leveling a marauder alt. Both are great choices for both PvE and PvP, but with quite different playstyles.

Obviously sentinel is melee, and you can stay highly mobile as all of your attacks (except master strike) are instant. A gunslinger is ranged and high immobile, you will be spending a lot of time in cover, using abilities that channel or have a cast time.

The resource systems are very different; with a sentinel it's pretty straightforward, you use your focus generating attacks to build focus to use your damaging attacks, the finesse comes from properly managing your focus so that you have enough to use your main abilities immediately after they come off cooldown. A gunslinger is a bit more complex, your energy regenerates in a non-linear fashion over time, and you must pay close attention and be aware of when it's appropriate to use a specific ability, as you can quickly dig yourself into a hole by dropping below 60% energy.

The two classes also have different philosophies regarding defence. A sentinel has a lot of defensive cooldowns to avoid damage and escape from fights (guarded by the foce, force camo, saber ward, ...). A gunslinger doesn't have good defensive cooldowns like a sentinel does. Instead, you stay alive by keeping enemies away from you through smart positioning, knockbacks, roots (legshot), etc.

Choose the one that you like the playstyle of better, not whichever one the players on the forums (where "facts" change all the time) is better dps.