The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Jug or Mara, easier to lvl? (Just want to see the storyline - no spoilers please)

Valhavic

Like the title says, I'm only interested in seeing the Sith Warrior Storyline. I already have some endgame characters I enjoy, but one of my goals coming into this game was to play each of the classes through to the end.

That being said, which of the two advanced classes levels better? I was leaning towards Jug because of the heavier armor...

Also, please don't post any spoilers about the story in this thread. Thanks!

Level yourself an immortal spec'ed juggernaut with your healing companion (no names to avoid spoilers -)), you should have little trouble getting all the way through the end story.

Have fun!

Pretty much this.

Edited by WarSiren

I agree with the above. Even with a DPS spec you'll have little issues with Quinn (and it will go a bit faster).

Immortal + quinn - unstoppable tank. wont go much fastr then your average tank, but will never die.

Vengeance/Rage + quinn - fast and almost unstoppable. have to slow down a bit and work elites, but post mid 30's i don't even bat an eye at them on my vengeance jugg

the real benefit of immortal is you don't pay too heavy a price to use the other companions.And (without spoilers) they all have some great stories to tell as your Jugg plot unfolds. My second Jugg (immortal) is a great deal of fun as i don't feel as locked down to Quinn as I did on my vengeance jugg. Really enjoying helping vette with her....ahem...issues (not going to say it! won't ruin the suprise!)

My Marauder was much quicker to level than my Jugg for all of the solo bits (99% of the game up to 50). Just plugging away at the available missions will put you over the level of the mobs you face without any effort on your part, once you're 2-3 levels above the mobs being a "tank" becomes a non-issue. However, a DPS Jugg can't really compete with a Marauder for DPS at low levels and ripping through mobs is less time means you get hit less often so... in solo PvE while leveling, there is no real added survivability for being tank specced unless you insisit on pulling multiple groups of mobs or can't get your head around CC's and defensive CDs.

However, being a tank while leveling makes it a LOT easier to get the heroics and flashpoints done along the way compared to yet another "DPS LFG" on general.

Any class/any spec + healing companion = easy leveling. AoE has always been the king of solo PvE so the more AoE damage you can spit out the faster you will level.

I also personally prefer the "kill them before they kill me" playstyle over the "I'll kill them eventually but they'll never kill me" option :D

DPS is fast and doable. People rely way too much on healing companions I think, I use mine plenty but they are not needed for any spec to level with. They do go well with tank, but your kill speed is going to be much slower and not always worth the lack of downtime.

I leveled as a DPS jugg using only DPS companions, there was no story or planet mission (heroic aside) I couldn't solo and rarely died unless I unknowingly pulled a champ or something, which tank spec can definitely deal with better.

I'm not saying Immortal is a bad way to go for leveling by any means, and you did ask for easy. Try out DPS though, nothing to lose by at least trying it and you will love the kill speed of a dps/dps combo. FWIW even with a dps spec you can switch stances and solo the harder content just fine.

My Marauder was much quicker to level than my Jugg for all of the solo bits (99% of the game up to 50). Just plugging away at the available missions will put you over the level of the mobs you face without any effort on your part, once you're 2-3 levels above the mobs being a "tank" becomes a non-issue. However, a DPS Jugg can't really compete with a Marauder for DPS at low levels and ripping through mobs is less time means you get hit less often so... in solo PvE while leveling, there is no real added survivability for being tank specced unless you insisit on pulling multiple groups of mobs or can't get your head around CC's and defensive CDs.

However, being a tank while leveling makes it a LOT easier to get the heroics and flashpoints done along the way compared to yet another "DPS LFG" on general.

Any class/any spec + healing companion = easy leveling. AoE has always been the king of solo PvE so the more AoE damage you can spit out the faster you will level.

I also personally prefer the "kill them before they kill me" playstyle over the "I'll kill them eventually but they'll never kill me" option :D

this

as a anni mara ive noticed that lvling is tons faster than my arsenal merc or my corruption healer. im also 2+ lvls higher at the current point in the story line than i was with either bh or sorc

Like the title says, I'm only interested in seeing the Sith Warrior Storyline. I already have some endgame characters I enjoy, but one of my goals coming into this game was to play each of the classes through to the end.

That being said, which of the two advanced classes levels better? I was leaning towards Jug because of the heavier armor...

Also, please don't post any spoilers about the story in this thread. Thanks!

As someone who leveled a jugg to 50 and loved it, and is now leveling a sent alt.....

Definitely go Marauder. There is just no comparison, it blows jugg out of the water.

I agree with the above. Even with a DPS spec you'll have little issues with [censored] (and it will go a bit faster).

Immortal + [censored] - unstoppable tank. wont go much fastr then your average tank, but will never die.

Vengeance/Rage + [censored] - fast and almost unstoppable. have to slow down a bit and work elites, but post mid 30's i don't even bat an eye at them on my vengeance jugg

the real benefit of immortal is you don't pay too heavy a price to use the other companions.And (without spoilers) they all have some great stories to tell as your Jugg plot unfolds. My second Jugg (immortal) is a great deal of fun as i don't feel as locked down to [censored] as I did on my vengeance jugg. Really enjoying helping vette with her....ahem...issues (not going to say it! won't ruin the suprise!)

You should edit your post because it contains spoliers ;-)