What's more fun?

BFGStriker

What would you say is the more "fun" BH class: merc or powertech? Solo play wise.

I'm really torn between the two - on one hand Merc has crazy DPS and can self heal, but on the other hand powertech have awesome abilities and can tank...

opinions?

How different are they play styles?

for me its powertech all the way.

his lack of channels/casttimes just makes him mobile as

hell compared to a merc no matter what spec u run.

plus the iron fist spec (25/14/2) is about the most fun

hybrid i have ever encountered n this game.

Solo play wise I would go with Mercenary. I have one of each (50 Merc, 31 PT).

I'm looking forward to get my tanking on in groups with the PT but when I'm alone it's a pretty standard class and nothing has really stood out for me. I'm enjoying it but I definitely die more often than I did on my Mercenary. If you just want to have some fun and solo through the quests/progression I can think of no reason to pick Powertech over Mercenary.

Mercenary on the other hand has a CC which makes soloing Heroic +2s a joke as well as the heals. They still wear heavy armor so unless your PT goes with tank spec (which will really cut down on solo damage) then the Merc is going to be pretty close on armor. Both damage specs on Mercenary are pretty equally awesome but have very different playstyles. Basic rule; if you like big numbers and burst damage go Arsenal, if you like running around and DoTs go Pyrotech. Pyrotech is harder to get the rotation down but Arsenal can feel boring every now and then. EDIT: For the record, Powertech is more mobile than the Mercenary regardless of spec just to echo the post above mine. Pyrotech is fairly mobile though.

Again, this is in regards to a solo play style.

Sariig

Edited by Sariig

Mercs are so mobile, it's awesome.

powertechs cannot do the damage mercs can do, and mercs can't soak up as much damage as powertechs can.

it boils down to your playstyle.

either way, you're gonna have Mako healing you.

Mainly boils down to:

DPS : merc - typical ranged DPS that wants to keep that range.

PT - mid range DPS with melee range incursions

Rest is heal vs tank. Which one do you prefer as an off-spec or you would like to keep open in case of a future re-spec?

I personnally got a PT tank I'm enjoying very much. Very sturdy, and for a tank has decent damage output.

Both AC at any rate are widely appreciated, so take your pick.

Edited by verfallen

Mercs are so mobile, it's awesome.

powertechs cannot do the damage mercs can do, and mercs can't soak up as much damage as powertechs can.

it boils down to your playstyle.

either way, you're gonna have Mako healing you.

Mercs are mobile :eek::eek::eek: Powertechs are a lot more mobile then any mercs tree build. About the damage there still no one merc. who can beat my damage in PvP. Yeah Arsenal maybe make more damage but they die so often:p

Edited by Koynov

I have a lvl50 Merc and a lvl50 Powertech, for pve the Merc is awesome, but for pvp if you are arsenal specced you are not very mobile as you need to shoot tracer missile three times to get a five stack for buffs/debuffs. I find the best spec for merc pvp is pyrotech as it is more mobile and has good burst damage and utilizes your 30m range

Powertech is completely fully mobile, the only abilities which require a powertech to stand still are unload and flamethrower, if you chose a powertech I strongly recommend you spec pyrotech for dps, the only downside to powertechs is that most of your abilities have either a 10m or 4m range which makes you vulnerable to melee classes.

Having played both advanced classes alot I prefer merc pyrotech over powertech pyrotech as I like to stay at maximum range

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.