Orange or Purple Gear

OldMajor

The two purple pieces I have had two slots, plus better armor. It costs a little but I kept the mods from the purple gear when I got my orange piece. They are better than anything I have scene so far at my level as rewards or on the commendation vendors. It cost a little over 2000 credits to remove them.

The two purple pieces I have had two slots, plus better armor. It costs a little but I kept the mods from the purple gear when I got my orange piece. They are better than anything I have scene so far at my level as rewards or on the commendation vendors. It cost a little over 2000 credits to remove them.

But the purple gear is, first, expensive and second, they outlive their "armor" usefulness after a few levels.

Orange is much better.

ok for a real answer.

Orange gear has 3 slots with no stats for base.

Purple gear has a base stat with 2 slots.

You will out lvl the purple base stats even if you put in epic mods on those slots.

Orange gear can even alow you to have much better stats then colu pve gear.

Do it right no gear from quest or drops will be an upgrade ever. Same goes for the weapons..But lets be real about those. Takes 4 mods and thats costly from commendation vendors to upkeep verse buying new ones every 2 planets for a mere 12-14 comms vs 13. Depending on the planet. Also some planets offer better enchancements to buy compared to what comes in the gear.

Your orange gear becomes purple gear if you put all purple mods in it. So, IMO, orange gear is superior.

However, for leveling, you won't need purple mods -- quite frankly, they'd be a waste of credits as you'll outgrow them too quickly. Blue (and even *gasp* some green) mods will do you fine as you level.

'Orange' gear has its stats determined entirely by the level/quality of the mods in it. With all 'purple' mods, it's at least as good as 'purple' gear of the same level (as the mods).

The general info I've seen is that 'blue' is about three levels above 'green', and 'purple' is about three levels above 'blue' in terms of gear quality.

So, e.g., a L40-required green item would be about equal to a L37-required blue, or a L34-required purple. Same for mods in an orange item.

Specifically at the level they are for, artifact (purple) with 2 slots should be better than fully modable gear (orange).

For example, if a purple item was for level 41, it would be better than an orange item with crafted upgrades for level 41. If you leveled and could start to use level 42 upgrades, suddenly the purple item is not better.

Purple has fixed armor/hilt/barrel. You can change mod and enhancement.

Orange is full moddable. You can change armor/hilt/barrel, mod and enhancement.

For a given level, Orange gear with all purple addons is equal to purple of the same level.

As you level, this gear will reach the equivalent a higher level blue and subsequently green at even much higher level. So the orange moddable gear allows you to upgrade. Put in a green armoring for example will increase the rating, whereas you get rid of the purple gear since it's useless. By all means do so, if you managed to buy purple gear cheaper than the adds for the orange moddable.

FYI.

at rating 86,

green level 39 = blue level 34 = purple level 31

So your purple level 31 will be useless when you reach level 40. Put in green level 41 items and it'll have higher specs than your purple.

Specifically at the level they are for, artifact (purple) with 2 slots should be better than fully modable gear (orange).

For example, if a purple item was for level 41, it would be better than an orange item with crafted upgrades for level 41. If you leveled and could start to use level 42 upgrades, suddenly the purple item is not better.

not true, if the mod gear(orange) has full set of epic mods at the same level as the artifact gear in this example level 41 mods then they would be equal in stats.

I say go with orange until you hit 50. Purple epic 50 gear is higher than orange FOR NOW since highest plate/mod/enhancement/hilt/barrels and such are level 47-49 items. Even at purple level they "may" come close to epic level 50 gear.