Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I just want to quote two passages from Stephen Reid's post.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch.

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Is it me or does one statement contradict the other?

call me picky or bitter.

Neither. You just aren't comprehending the words that he wrote correctly.

Let me help you. A stress test is a "shock" so to speak to the servers to see how they perform.

The second part of his message is more along the lines of they are taking it 'slow and easy" to make sure they DON'T stress the servers without needing too.

Just like a dam. They open the floodgates a little at a time.... and then a little bit later they can open them even more. However if they just threw the floodgates all the way open right away at first your little town downstream would be flooded and your dog would die.

That would make you moar sad I think.

Whats funny, is the people who are refreshing this thread are all the people who are not in the game and ************ about it.

Those who got in are happily playing and don't give a rats *** about this EPIC thread.

Their loss!.. sure, they have some silly game to play, but we.. WE HAVE THIS THREAD!

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

/signed

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out. !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen

What a lot of you are failing to realize is that this game is so big they had to put an additional two days onto the original five days early access.

What does this mean?

THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME.

So for those of you who are flipping out about not being able to play yet, I hope you ALL get rocks in your socks this Christmas, because I know a million or more of you are adults and the fact that you are incapable of waiting a little bit longer for something that you'll be able to play *no matter what* in less than 7 days is completely beyond me.

Stop insulting the devs. This day is a trillion times more stressful for them, because they are trying to make it work and all of you are complaining about it?

I don't mean to sound like a parent, but I'm appalled at how immature and bogus you are all acting. It's pretty pathetic.

TL;DR: Stop complaining and wait in line. Ya foolz :rolleyes:

yeh what he said

All I know is that if anyone is so po'd because of whiny impatience, that they are cancelling their preorder.. AWESOME! Those are the people I really don't want to play the game with anyway. Please quit, immediately! :D Edited by Herdsnerfs

Man i waited a whole 2 weeks after the preoders went live to enter my code I will probably only get 1 day of early access and all the good names will be gone ill have to be alfwok222 or something lol

cant use numbers in names.... :D

Besides they got in 6 days already including the largest day of the lot wouldnt be surprised if you are in tomorrow very comfortably.

I don't mind to wait in line and get into the game. By waves or whatever. But they should atleast tell us WHICH WAVES we are in,and the appox waiting time. So we don't have to check constantly!!

As waves are done for today (next starts at 8CST tomorrow, I think) no need to check any longer.

*** bay ya, my Lord, *** bay ya;

*** bay ya, my Lord, *** bay ya;

*** bay ya, my Lord, *** bay ya,

O Lord, *** bay ya.

Someone's laughing(BIOWARE), my Lord, *** bay ya;

Someone's laughing(BIOWARE), my Lord, *** bay ya;

Someone's laughing(BIOWARE), my Lord, *** bay ya,

O Lord, *** bay ya.

Someone's crying(NERDS), my Lord, *** bay ya;

Someone's crying(NERDS), my Lord, *** bay ya;

Someone's crying(NERDS), my Lord, *** bay ya,

O Lord, *** bay ya.

Someone's praying(EGA PAYERS ON FORUMS), Lord, *** bay ya;

Someone's praying(EGA PAYERS ON FORUMS), Lord, *** bay ya;

Someone's praying(EGA PAYERS ON FORUMS), Lord, *** bay ya,

O Lord, *** bay ya.

Someone's singing(TROLLS), my Lord, *** bay ya;

Someone's singing(TROLLS), my Lord, *** bay ya;

Someone's singing(TROLLS), my Lord, *** bay ya,

O Lord, *** bay ya.

lol i got bored...just had to...so lets all sing along

and then some

Originally Posted by nicain

thing your missing is you lost a lot of customers today i'm sure. Im only following this thread because i'm at work for another 45 minutes and it's patch day.

I'm not going to compete with other players for names and gear a week after early launch. I didn't lose a name or two because i didn't sign on, i lost them because i wasn't permitted to sign on before others.

i planned to play on a pvp server so let me tell you how eager i am to know that half the server population will out level me by a massive margine the first day i log in, oh how i would love to get pk'd at level 6 by a level 30 only because he got in early then i. I'm sure you guys didn't think of that one.

this has been the worst launch ever, even compared to games that had congestion on day one, the players were happy just to set up access and create their characters while servers are ironed out. Considering you just stated you had more pre-orders then most games get orders, you should have done your work and prepared for that.

you dont need to worry about getting pk'd at level 6, you wont see another faction member till your 20s.

I'm also flagging! Help has arrived Brother! (or sister)

the repeated posts are by different people so that makes them not repeated, they are just using someone elses words to express their own opinion, if you star flagging valid posts peopel are going to star spamming on purpose and with a vengeance, so stop being self righteous and flag posts that deserve it, or maybe everytime you quote someone we should flag your threads?

Ah well.

Look they got through a lot of people today - I've heard 500k people being bandied about.

They got through a week of pre-order codes today and plan to do an even bigger sample tomorrow. For my sake I really hope that they manage another three weeks of redemptions tomorrow, much later than that and I'll start to feel a bit hard done by.

For now I suggest we all calm down a bit - yes everyone is excited and yes its tantalisingly close; this game that some of us have been following for years but ultimately it is a game and the point of it is to be fun. Don't ruin it in a stress induced computer destruction because you had to wait another 24 hours.

Of course if you redeemed in October then you are screwed and should go right ahead rage quit.