Urban Planning and Star Wars

Nistelrooy

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a paper in college about Star Wars and urban planning, including influences on the designs for cities, buildings, landscapes, cityscape, etc. I have a bit of research so far, but I was wondering if anyone knew, for certain, the design influences for places in Star Wars? If any developers are reading this, I'd welcome their input. =) Thanks!

I don't think I asked for trolling.

I am not going to take ideas as my own. Anyone who has a good idea will be cited properly in MLA format.

I have done a lot of my own research from talking to movie concept artists to interviewing planning professionals to buying multiple books on SW and urban planning and gathering theories, design guidelines, influences, etc. from many sources on either subject.

Anyway, you shouldn't distrust me because you may not know me. I promise to cite you.

Well, you could consider Coruscant a large scale version of the city in Fritz Lang's Metropolis, I dread to think how that would have to be built from a logistics perspective. ;D

Tatooine is pretty blatantly Tunesian architecture, since well, they modified local architecture to suit their needs.

That's a good point about Metropolis. One of the people I interviewed made comparisons between Star Wars and movies like Metropolis and Blade Runner. Some other sources I have seen state the idea for a planet-wide city came from Isaac Asimov in the Foundation series, but I need to find a credible source to support that before I use the idea.

For Tatooine, it is definitely influenced by Tunisian architecture since it was filmed in Tunisia. The idea for a desert planet is suggested to come from Frank Herbert's Dune. The man I interviewed made connections from both universes with references to spice, the chosen one, and one other characteristic. I forgot the last one off the top of my head haha.

Well, Nar Shaddaa has always somewhat reminded me of Tokyo at night.

Corellia reminds me of Chicago a bit.

I honestly wish I could help you out more, but I'm just not an architecture person, and I never was able to see similarities when it comes to buildings.

That's a good point about Metropolis. One of the people I interviewed made comparisons between Star Wars and movies like Metropolis and Blade Runner. Some other sources I have seen state the idea for a planet-wide city came from Isaac Asimov in the Foundation series, but I need to find a credible source to support that before I use the idea.

For Tatooine, it is definitely influenced by Tunisian architecture since it was filmed in Tunisia. The idea for a desert planet is suggested to come from Frank Herbert's Dune. The man I interviewed made connections from both universes with references to spice, the chosen one, and one other characteristic. I forgot the last one off the top of my head haha.

Don't forget the Sand Worms. Definitely the Sand Worms, even though the ones in Star Wars are small fry compared to Dune.

Also, Force Scream is a ripoff of the Wyrding Way from Dune. It sounds exactly the same, and the first time I used it in battle with my Warrior, I literally said out loud: "My voice is a weapon, and I can kill with a word."

That's a cool point about Nar Shadda. I didn't put the advertisements all over that place together with the advertisements all over Tokyo. I might have to look into that one. Thanks!

As for Corellia, you may have lost me there, haha.

And I don't remember sand worms in Star Wars... What book are they in?

That bit about the Wyrding Way an Force Scream is interesting, tho not helpful to my topic. I wonder if Thu'ums in Skyrim and influenced, in idea, by that... Anyway, I still need to read Dune. -.-