soa lightning orbs - where do they spawn

i've read a few conflicting answers:

"they always spawn to the east"

"they always spawn from the south"

"they always spawn from the direction Soa's facing"

is there a real answer?

"it's random"?

thanks.

They always spawn from the direction that Soa is facing in Phase 2.

In phase three they seems to always spawn on opposite sides from each other. Which sides (i.e. NE, SE, SSW, etc) we have not really been able to confirm a pattern or if it is the same as Phase 2 (Soa's Facing direction) due to all of the boss movement in Phase 3.

They always spawn from the direction that Soa is facing in Phase 2.

In phase three they seems to always spawn on opposite sides from each other. Which sides (i.e. NE, SE, SSW, etc) we have not really been able to confirm a pattern or if it is the same as Phase 2 (Soa's Facing direction) due to all of the boss movement in Phase 3.

Thanks for the info!

not that i don't trust you though, can other people who are familiar with Soa (hm, not sure if it's different from normal? but we're doing HM) pipe in with a "confirm" or something?.. :D

thanks again!

There is no rhyme or reason to ball spawn locations. Watch for Soa to cast Ball Lightning, spin your camera until you see both spots, call it out on comms. You have more than enough time to identify the locations before the 2 names appear on screen.

Having done him on Nightmare 16 multiple times. The orbs spawn anywhere from South to East. Haven't seen any spawning West or North.

S, SE, and E are you best bets for finding them

question, does your tank face him toward the south/east? (would kinda confirm the previous comment about opposite Soa).

would kinda make sense since most people start from the west?

Thread on Sithwarrior about Soa along with a

My experience is that they always spawn spawn on the East side, I tank Soa in the middle of the room with Soa facing West so I(facing East) can see the Ball Lightnings.

Edited by Xneco

My experience is that they always spawn spawn on the East side, I tank Soa in the middle of the room with Soa facing West so I(facing East) can see the Ball Lightnings.

When you drop down from the platform "stairs" going into Phase 2, the balls spawn on the opposite side of the room from you. (You will always come down on the WEST side and the balls spawn on the EAST--granted in a giant wedge of east)

My tanks have faced him north, south, east, west, whatever. They always spawn East(ish). The reason the boss is facing different directions is the tank is maneuvering to avoid balls. The reason for a little confusion might be one of a few options:

1) Cardinal directions are hard and you don't drop at north or south. Some people may drop and assume that "straight across" is north. Some people may mix up East & West (I'm pretty sure I've told people they spawn on the west side before because I'm dum.)

2) They spawn in about a 130 degree arc between North and South. Some people may have rng that means they spawn more northward more often than not and therefore think they spawn "Northish"

Either way, my rule of thumb is: Stay a little NW or SW of the boss. This will give you time to separate balls if they're near each other as well as avoid them going through the middle of the room.

From where I tank (on the Right side of the room as you look in), there is a frontal arc (almost 180 degrees) of where the balls spawn (always from the unactive pylons)

This is what I have noticed from doing all difficulties in both 8 and 16 man raids.

Edited by SpookyDaInsane

When you drop down from the platform "stairs" going into Phase 2, the balls spawn on the opposite side of the room from you. (You will always come down on the WEST side and the balls spawn on the EAST--granted in a giant wedge of east)

My tanks have faced him north, south, east, west, whatever. They always spawn East(ish). The reason the boss is facing different directions is the tank is maneuvering to avoid balls. The reason for a little confusion might be one of a few options:

1) Cardinal directions are hard and you don't drop at north or south. Some people may drop and assume that "straight across" is north. Some people may mix up East & West (I'm pretty sure I've told people they spawn on the west side before because I'm dum.)

2) They spawn in about a 130 degree arc between North and South. Some people may have rng that means they spawn more northward more often than not and therefore think they spawn "Northish"

Either way, my rule of thumb is: Stay a little NW or SW of the boss. This will give you time to separate balls if they're near each other as well as avoid them going through the middle of the room.

Interesting--so that's phase 2 only or is this true of phase 3 as well? And does that say constant in NMM as well as HM?

This is phase 2 only. In phase 3 they can spawn anywhere around the outer edge of the room. For that reason in phase 3 you should try to keep your raid fairly centralized. These setups are true for all 3 difficulties in both raid sizes.

Note: In phase 3 the ball timer seems to be longer than it is in phase 2. They changed that in the set of soa nerfs a while back.

This is phase 2 only. In phase 3 they can spawn anywhere around the outer edge of the room. For that reason in phase 3 you should try to keep your raid fairly centralized. These setups are true for all 3 difficulties in both raid sizes.

Note: In phase 3 the ball timer seems to be longer than it is in phase 2. They changed that in the set of soa nerfs a while back.

Awesome--thanks friend. That helps greatly, much appreciated!