Tactics viable for PvE Endgame?

Husofanten

Same Question as in the title: Is Tactics viable for PvE Endgame or does it lack single target damage?

I guess Mortar + Pulse Cannon hit hard, Ion Pulse harder than for Assault.

But what about the rest?

Is the overall damage high enough to gain a slot in raids or should I stick with my full assault build?

Edited by Husofanten

Same Question as in the title: Is Tactics viable for PvE Endgame or does it lack single target damage?

I guess Mortar + Pulse Cannon hit hard, Ion Pulse harder than for Assault.

But what about the rest?

Is the overall damage high enough to gain a slot in raids or should I stick with my full assault build?

Viable, yes. Is it Assault damage, No.

The catch is though if you, or should I say most Pyro PTs/Assault VGs I run in to, are bad at managing your resource a Tactics build will yield higher DPS as it is MUCH more forgiving on that resource where you don't have to pay attention to procs and a bunch of other things all the time. That is where a tactics build Shines.

So figure out where your skillset is in that department on Assault.

I've done all nightmare content was both your Tactics and Assault (on my PT that is) and was fine with both, well, I felt anyways considering there were no meters. Nothing enraged so I guess that's a good sign huh? :)

Edited by exphryl

Viable, yes. Is it Assault damage, No.

The catch is though if you, or should I say most Pyro PTs/Assault VGs I run in to, are bad at managing your resource a Tactics build will yield higher DPS as it is MUCH more forgiving on that resource where you don't have to pay attention to procs and a bunch of other things all the time. That is where a tactics build Shines.

So figure out where your skillset is in that department on Assault.

I've done all nightmare content was both your Tactics and Assault (on my PT that is) and was fine with both, well, I felt anyways considering there were no meters. Nothing enraged so I guess that's a good sign huh? :)

Actually, Tactics is the same or better damage if you regear it properly. Accuracy is meaningless. Ditch it. What are you talking about Tactics doesn't have to pay attention to procs? Tactics has MORE procs to pay attention to than Assault. Assault has one proc to pay attention to and two DoTs (only 1 of which you have to pay attention to and is on a longer CD than Gut). Tactics has 1 DoT and 3 procs to pay attention to. They're about the same currently. The only reason Tactics isn't curb stomping Assault now is the 8% damage on HIB and the lack of a good set bonus for Tactics.

Edited by Coramac

. What are you talking about Tactics doesn't have to pay attention to procs? Tactics has MORE procs to pay attention to than Assault.

That statement was in regards to resource management, where Ionic Accelerator procs are the only form of resource management that spec has. Unlike tactics which gets free abilities (which you just have to use when Stockstrike is off cooldown) and passive ammo generation.

Edited by exphryl

Actually, Tactics is the same or better damage if you regear it properly. Accuracy is meaningless. Ditch it. What are you talking about Tactics doesn't have to pay attention to procs? Tactics has MORE procs to pay attention to than Assault. Assault has one proc to pay attention to and two DoTs (only 1 of which you have to pay attention to and is on a longer CD than Gut). Tactics has 1 DoT and 3 procs to pay attention to. They're about the same currently. The only reason Tactics isn't curb stomping Assault now is the 8% damage on HIB and the lack of a good set bonus for Tactics.

why do you say accuracy is meaningless you have toh it your target

why do you say accuracy is meaningless you have toh it your target

It's all Tech attacks with the exception of Hammer Shot and HIB. The latter you would only use when its crit proc is up, and I'm pretty sure that the autocrit makes it an autohit. I'm going to see if I can test that tonight.

Assault is completely dependent on HIB for damage. It also makes more use out of Hammer Shot with its inferior ammo regen and has increased damage on Hammer Shot from Rain of Fire.

It's all Tech attacks with the exception of Hammer Shot and HIB. The latter you would only use when its crit proc is up, and I'm pretty sure that the autocrit makes it an autohit. I'm going to see if I can test that tonight.

Assault is completely dependent on HIB for damage. It also makes more use out of Hammer Shot with its inferior ammo regen and has increased damage on Hammer Shot from Rain of Fire.

but stock stike still has to hit, and an autocrit can be dodged. You have to have accuracy unless you are ok with an 9% chance to miss on half of your attacks. I personally am no ok with any missi or dodges.

but stock stike still has to hit, and an autocrit can be dodged. You have to have accuracy unless you are ok with an 9% chance to miss on half of your attacks. I personally am no ok with any missi or dodges.

Stock Strike is Tech. It's a good bit less than half of our attacks. It only affects Hammer Shot and HIB. Hammer Shot is a filler ability that does minimal damage. I'm about to test the autocrit.

Stock Strike is Tech. It's a good bit less than half of our attacks. It only affects Hammer Shot and HIB. Hammer Shot is a filler ability that does minimal damage. I'm about to test the autocrit.

that is true.. that leaves HiB, and that isteself while good damage is not enough to spend the itemization on it when you can go full out power.

Edited by Hizoka

that is true.. that leaves HiB, and that isteself while good damage is not enough to spend the itemization on it when you can go full out power.

Yea, I'm actually really curious about the autocrit. It should, at the least, push shield chance off for PvP. My tank friend logged has early work and couldn't let me beat on him. Lazy tanks.

I tried it yesterday but I wasnt even able to solo the H2 on Belsavis (rep.)...

The high amount of ammo regeneration looks good, and pulse cannon hits hard but the lack of kiting kinda ruined it for me.

PvP didnt work really well since I am often getting focussed( guess those Imps know me by now - nearly every warzone top damage) and I have to get way too close to get my burst off.

Guess I will try to farm some equipment for a tactics build... ( combat tech is the way to go?)

I tried it yesterday but I wasnt even able to solo the H2 on Belsavis (rep.)...

The high amount of ammo regeneration looks good, and pulse cannon hits hard but the lack of kiting kinda ruined it for me.

PvP didnt work really well since I am often getting focussed( guess those Imps know me by now - nearly every warzone top damage) and I have to get way too close to get my burst off.

Guess I will try to farm some equipment for a tactics build... ( combat tech is the way to go?)

Combat tech is the way to go for tactics. The key to playing it in PvP is using hit and run. You are REALLY fast in combat. Pop hold the line and you can get out of almost any situation pretty easily. You can circle strafe most melee and they will have trouble hitting you.

It doesn't have the burst that assault has but it has crazy sustained damage with no ammo issues and IMO better suvivability. The pulse cannon AE is also insane. Taking 3+ people down from full to half in 3 seconds is pretty fun.

Ion pulse critting for over 2k is a lot of fun.

No. And I died a bit inside as the first time I tried out Combat Tactics, it missed :(

yeah i just had a miss with it as well... but for one skill its not worth the itemization

Well in 1.2 it will proc from Gut ticks, which means you should apply gut first ASAP to get more damage quicker, and to get the proc asap.

Well in 1.2 it will proc from Gut ticks, which means you should apply gut first ASAP to get more damage quicker, and to get the proc asap.

i do that now as it is, first attack i do when i get on target is gut, simply because it starts a dot ticking and allows for the HiB crit.

yeah i just had a miss with it as well... but for one skill its not worth the itemization

Yea, I got the same thing. It's really not that good. I'm considering what I could do by ditching those talent points for something else. Crit Ion Pulse is about as much damage. I just don't think I could get better bang for those talents. Kind of sad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.