Why Chiss?

BrandonSM

It doesn't make sense. It has botherd ever since I have seen them in this game. Why are there CHISS!

BW is all about Lore and story right? Why are there Chiss?

No even heard of a chiss until Admiral Thrawn and that was what? 3500 years later??

Now we have them as common citizens of the Galaxy, BH's and IA's and security officers.

The only reason I see is because they have human format and all BW had to was paint them blue.

It doesn't make sense. It has botherd ever since I have seen them in this game. Why are there CHISS!

BW is all about Lore and story right? Why are there Chiss?

No even heard of a chiss until Admiral Thrawn and that was what? 3500 years later??

Now we have them as common citizens of the Galaxy, BH's and IA's and security officers.

The only reason I see is because they have human format and all BW had to was paint them blue.

Cause George said so.

Wait you are complaining about chiss being known in the galaxy and you don't know who George Lucas is? Wow!

"Because George Said So" What does that have to do with Chiss being in the known galaxy? He doesn't even acknowledge post-ROTJ as canon.

George doesn't acknowledge EU. Which is why what you said doesn't make sense.

Edited by BrandonSM

"Because George Said So" What does that have to do with Chiss being in the known galaxy? He doesn't even acknowledge post-ROTJ as canon.

George doesn't acknowledge EU. Which is why what you said doesn't make sense.

Then if EU isn't canon your argument about no one knowing about Chiss before Thrawn isn't valid. :p

Further on if it isn't canon why does it matter. If it isn't cannon, then they didn't exist in the galaxy at the time of TOR.

TOR doesn't exist either in his mind, TOR is EU.

Which means what he says for right now about the EU doesn't matter because he doesn't acknowledge it. Which is why I said what you said makes no sense.

I care because BW said they are all about Content and canon in SW in multiple interviews.

And I read allot and am very interested in the Expanded Universe.

Edited by BrandonSM

TOR doesn't exist either in his mind, TOR is EU.

Which means what he says for right now about the EU doesn't matter because he doesn't acknowledge it. Which is why I said what you said makes no sense.

I care because BW said they are all about Content and canon in SW in multiple interviews.

And I read allot and am very interested in the Expanded Universe.

Very well it doesn't matter if George said so or not. Even so if it isn't cannon then Chiss don't exist at all, so in that case, why does it matter if they are in the game or not?

There have been quite a few Chiss that left the Ascendancy to venture out into the larger galaxy. Thrawn (to use his Core name) is simply the most famous. He got that way because he's the first and only non-human in history to achieve the rank of Grand Admiral in the Imperial Navy. Why? Because he has more strategic know-how in the little finger on his left hand than the ENTIRE Republic brass put together. Ever. If it wasn't for his Noghri bodyguard betraying him due to the fact that Vader lied all those years ago, he would have probably won. (Yet another instance of Republic Plot Armor saving the day.)

Now, the Chiss weren't that widespread throughout the Empire, and the Chiss officers that serve in the Empire basically do so for the same reason Thrawn did. To keep the Empire out of Ascendancy space. COL Yudrass on Hoth is a prime example. He's a genius, and always keeps a cool head. (Ok, I got him promoted to Colonel on my play-throughs, since it was the most tactically sound choice.)

That said, there's NOTHING saying that other Chiss couldn't leave the Ascendancy, or even fight for the Republic. They have traditionally been Imperial allies, but that doesn't mean squat. Traditions are sometimes made to be broken. Do they exist in abundance? No. Are they fun to play? Yes. My Chiss Sniper is a blast to play, and he looks cool as hell. And just because there haven't been any Chiss Jedi that we know of, doesn't mean it can't happen. :)

My question is: Why not Chiss?

Edited by Captain_Zone

There have been quite a few Chiss that left the Ascendancy to venture out into the larger galaxy. Thrawn (to use his Core name) is simply the most famous. He got that way because he's the first and only non-human in history to achieve the rank of Grand Admiral in the Imperial Navy. Why? Because he has more strategic know-how in the little finger on his left hand than the ENTIRE Republic brass put together. Ever. If it wasn't for his Noghri bodyguard betraying him due to the fact that Vader lied all those years ago, he would have probably won. (Yet another instance of Republic Plot Armor saving the day.)

Now, the Chiss weren't that widespread throughout the Empire, and the Chiss officers that serve in the Empire basically do so for the same reason Thrawn did. To keep the Empire out of Ascendancy space. COL Yudrass on Hoth is a prime example. He's a genius, and always keeps a cool head. (Ok, I got him promoted to Colonel on my play-throughs, since it was the most tactically sound choice.)

That said, there's NOTHING saying that other Chiss couldn't leave the Ascendancy, or even fight for the Republic. They have traditionally been Imperial allies, but that doesn't mean squat. Traditions are sometimes made to be broken. Do they exist in abundance? No. Are they fun to play? Yes. My Chiss Sniper is a blast to play, and he looks cool as hell. And just because there haven't been any Chiss Jedi that we know of, doesn't mean it can't happen. :)

My question is: Why not Chiss?

I guess so. Also, there is a nameless Chiss Jedi Padawan during the Clone Wars.

I personally love the Chiss, its just, small things like this bother me...

.......George doesn't acknowledge EU. Which is why what you said doesn't make sense.

not so. check this out:

Official levels of canonEdit

The Holocron continuity database is an internal database maintained by Lucas Licensing for the express purpose of trying to maintain continuity within all licensed products. The Holocron is sorted into four levels of canon, reflecting LFL's current canon and continuity policies: G, T, C, S, and N. G, T, C, and S together form an overall continuity that is considered by Lucasfilm to be the "true" Star Wars canon.

■G (George Lucas) canon is absolute canon. This category includes the six films, some of the deleted scenes from the films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon overrules all other forms of canon when there is a contradiction.

■T[1] canon refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series.

■C (continuity) canon refers to the main body of EU work, and is the next most authoritative level of canon. All material published under the Star Wars label but not falling into either G, S, or N is C canon, and is considered authoritative as long as not contradicted by G canon. Games are a special case as generally only the stories would be "C-canon" while things like stats and gameplay are "N-canon". If the video game has several possible ends or if the player can choose the gender or the species of the main character, only one of each is considered C-canon. C-canon elements have been known to appear in the movies, thus making them G-canon. (This includes: the name "Coruscant", swoop bikes, Aayla Secura, YT-2400 freighters or Action VI Transports.)

■S (secondary) canon refers to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which would not ordinarily fit in the main continuity of G and C canon. Unless referenced by a G or C-level source, the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. For example, this includes The Star Wars Holiday Special, the Marvel comics, or the popular online roleplaying game Star Wars Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

■N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. What-if stories (such as those published under the Infinities label), game stats, and anything else that is directly contradicted by higher canon and cannot at all fit into continuity is placed into this category. "N-canon" is the only level that is not at all considered canon by Lucasfilm.

Lucas' use of the EUEdit

EU in the filmsEdit

Main article: List of C-canon elements in the films

C-canon elements from licensed creators have been known to appear in Lucas's films. Most of these are brief, cameo appearances, almost taking the form of Easter eggs (which may have been added by animators or others under Lucas, rather than specifically dictated), but others are more substantial. It seems that elements of the Expanded Universe influenced George Lucas in the writing of the Star Wars prequels, at least insofar as knowledge of the EU helps in understanding the prequels. The Clone Wars-era EU was also used to introduce characters such as General Grievous and Commander Bly, Lucas' creations slated to appear in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

■The name of the Wookiee home planet Kashyyyk was taken from the EU, although Lucas himself invented the species and the planet.

■In the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye (released in 1978), C-3PO mentions that Darth Vader knows "all the proper code words and commands" to shut him down. This would make sense, given the revelation in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (released in 1999) that Vader himself built 3PO when he was a little boy. Whether Lucas was aware of this when making The Phantom Menace is unknown. However, this would be contradicted anyway seeing as how C-3PO gets his memory erased in Revenge of the Sith.

■Lucas has adopted the Expanded Universe name Twi'lek for Aayla Secura's species, as evidenced by a remark of his which is documented in an Episode III Set Diary entry.[1]

■The Expanded Universe character Tsui Choi was at one point slated to appear in Revenge of the Sith.[2]

■The Squid Lake sequence from Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith seems to resemble parts of the Mermeia sequence from The Star Wars Holiday Special.[source?]

■The Buzz droids in Revenge of the Sith are reminiscent of the Grutchin species from The New Jedi Order.[source?]

■Artists for the prequel films have used various Expanded Universe materials—particularly the Star Wars Chronicles and Incredible Cross-Sections books—as inspiration for their work on the prequel films.[2] Concept artists also viewed The Star Wars Holiday Special multiple times while designing the Kashyyyk environment for Revenge of the Sith.[3]

Lucas's involvement with the EUEdit

Lucas has often worked very closely with EU creators:

■Lucas wrote the story for The Star Wars Holiday Special.

■Lucas wrote the stories for, executive produced, and directed pick-ups and re-shoots for both of the Ewok films from the mid-eighties: Caravan of Courage and The Battle for Endor.

■Lucas was involved with the creation of the Star Tours theme park attraction.

■Lucas has worked closely with the crew of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV series, and has rewritten several of the stories. He is planning to write, direct, and produce part of the upcoming Star Wars live-action TV series.

■James Luceno based his book Labyrinth of Evil on the background Lucas informed him of, of what happened right before Revenge of the Sith.

■Lucas also gave Genndy Tartakovsky information on specific events during the Clone Wars, which Genndy then used in part of the series.

■In writing the novelization of The Phantom Menace, Lucas informed Terry Brooks of the extensive history of the Sith and Jedi before that time period, so he could include it in his book. For example, the character of Darth Bane is an original creation of Lucas', and although he did not include information on the character in his films, he informed Terry Brooks of the character to incorporate into the novelization of The Phantom Menace. Lucas also gave Brooks other extensive bits of info of what went on during The Phantom Menace.

■Lucas wrote the prologue for Matthew Stover's novel Shatterpoint.

■During the production of the Shadows of the Empire multimedia project, Lucas instructed those involved to base the Prince Xizor character on the Dashade species from The Star Wars Holiday Special.[3]

■Lucas met with Roy Thomas to help plan the early storylines for Marvel Star Wars, and personally approved the direction Thomas planned to take the series.

■Lucas selected Archie Goodwin to become a writer for the Star Wars comic strip.

■Lucas helped Kevin J. Anderson develop aspects of the Sith for the Tales of the Jedi comics.

■Lucas decided that Delta Squad should have colored armor in Republic Commando, to match Episode III.

■Lucas instructed John Ostrander on what the fate of Quinlan Vos should be in Star Wars: Republic 83: The Hidden Enemy, Part 3.

■George Lucas has decreed that there can be no more Wookiee Jedi in the Expanded Universe. Notably, Obsidian Entertainment was forbidden to make Hanharr a Dark Jedi because of this restriction.

■George Lucas has decreed that, following Episode III, Palpatine has only minor concern over the remaining Jedi.

■Lucas owns the original cover art of Tag & Bink Were Here.

■Lucas gave his direct input and guidance to the 2007 multimedia project Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.

■Lucas established that Darth Plagueis is a Muun.[4].

■He reportedly provided background notes for the Tales of the Jedi comic series and Jedi Academy Trilogy novels.[source?]

quite a bit of info, so i put it in the spoilers. you can find it here:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eu

it also goes on (on that page) to show where george lucas contradicts, or overrides the eu. wht that shows to me, is that if he doesn't like it, he will say so.

Edited by testszag

hell yeah. saganu was only there to get vector jealous enough to man up and make his move on me :cool:

i made him watch.

best part was afterwards i clicked on vector, and he said " That's not neccisary..."

:D

eifel 65 was onto something

hell yeah. saganu was only there to get vector jealous enough to man up and make his move on me :cool:

i made him watch.

best part was afterwards i clicked on vector, and he said " That's not neccisary..."

:D

eifel 65 was onto something

Whoa! Is that the IA version of the "KillGrathanAndSocializeWithHisWifeWhileMakingVetteWatch" thing with the Warrior on Dromund Kaas? :eek: