How come...

Lijun

how come sith assassin gets lightning on their lightsaber but jedi shadow doesnt get anything special for their lightsabers?

Because Sith (and evil guys in general) are always, and have been, and always will be cooler than the good guys.

Why not change the time window for weekly maintenance every week? Then everyone is affected during their prime time at some point, rather than the same group every week. [/b].

Because the guys doing the work don't want to have to change their entire lives around a constantly changing work schedule every week. "This week I work days, next week I work Swing, The week after I work Graveyard..." That would SUCK !!

Edited by MORTTUUM

Because the guys doing the work don't want to have to change their entire lives around a constantly changing work schedule every week. "This week I work days, next week I work Swing, The week after I work Graveyard..." That would SUCK !!

I do believe you mis-posted this...

Because they use techniques instead of charges.

This.

Sith apply a charge to their sabers, which causes some unique effects or abilities. Like adding damage with every swing, or a small heal, or whatever.

Jedi switch to a different technique, which causes unique effects or abilities. Like adding damage with every swing, or a small heal, or whatever.

Same result - different name and/or appearance. Just like how Sith hurl lightning around, and Jedi toss large objects instead.

Because Sith (and evil guys in general) are always, and have been, and always will be cooler than the good guys.

...it's like every fashion designer in the galaxy went to over to the Dark Side...

Off topic: You think there is just one set of guys running the servers, and if the servers happen to fail 'off shift' then people get phone calls and have to drive to a server location to crank start them back up again? They will have round the clock tech guys already, but if their patching procedure requires actual programmers and game developers to be on hand then their pre-patch procedures are obviously pretty basic and need work :)

Off topic: You think there is just one set of guys running the servers, and if the servers happen to fail 'off shift' then people get phone calls and have to drive to a server location to crank start them back up again? They will have round the clock tech guys already, but if their patching procedure requires actual programmers and game developers to be on hand then their pre-patch procedures are obviously pretty basic and need work :)

I'm certain they have round-the-clock crew. But not everyone there is certified to do every job. It's fairly obvious that the "Patch" crew works a certain shift. There's no need for that job description to be a 24-hour/day class. So they do the update when those hired specifically to do updates are on-shift. Making BioWare triple its payroll for that particular job-description just ain't gonna happen, unless you like the idea of doubling the monthly subscription rate...

I'm certain they have round-the-clock crew. But not everyone there is certified to do every job. It's fairly obvious that the "Patch" crew works a certain shift. There's no need for that job description to be a 24-hour/day class. So they do the update when those hired specifically to do updates are on-shift. Making BioWare triple its payroll for that particular job-description just ain't gonna happen, unless you like the idea of doubling the monthly subscription rate...

Just assuming that a 'patch crew' is indeed required, because the process of running a patch script can't be run by just any numpty and they absolutely positively have to have some special IT-Ninjas on hand in case things go wrong then:

(a) Their pre-patch procedure sucks.

Before rolling a patch live you will have performed fake updates on servers that were for all and intents and purposes identical to the live servers. During this process the patch script can be modified to catch all strangeness, and will adapt over time to include new things that catch you out. In fact you can even run the pre-patch across snapshots of ALL live servers to throw up even more oddities that may arise.

(b) The patch crew don't need to be on 24-hour/day, just 8 hours/week when patching takes place. As an IT support person on system-critical support they would not be unfamiliar with rotating shift patterns and so could deal with rotating shifts. No need for 3 times the amount of staff, just hire proper IT support who are used to that kind of thing (go visit a datacentre near you, or look at their 'hiring now' adverts to see this in action)

But actually, neither of those should be needed, because an update should be a script that just gets executed at any time they like ...

Although this is massively off-topic (and has been talked about to death already in previous forums it usually degenerates into "Yah Boo, Europeans complaining because their servers are down in primetime" and "Yah Boo, Americans jumping in with no understanding because they're not affected") I believe the problem is just due to inexperience with manning a global online infrastructure ...

how come sith assassin gets lightning on their lightsaber but jedi shadow doesnt get anything special for their lightsabers?

I just can't imagine shadows carrying lightsabers covered with rocks and pebbles would be appealing.

Dark Side = lightning

Light Side = rocks

Thus the light side/dark side disparity.