The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[[MOVIES]] Oozo Strikes Back: Full Shield Series

Raggok

Hello,

I'm going to keep a library of full Shield build movies here. Why full shield? Well, because it's necessary for me to be running Ion Cell to support my PvP friends and I didn't want to do one of the popular builds. When making movies, I want to present something different.

When I see a bunch of negative comments on a build, I like to test it out to see what I can squeeze out of it. The downside of defensive stats is well known. The extra survivability is very situational on what type of attacks you are being hit with and you are just as squishy as the next guy to many types of attacks.

However, there IS extra survivability. The question is, is it worth it? Does it make enough of a difference to go all out on defensive stats. My answer would be no, ATM. Like most, I have geared for damage. So, this is a full shield build with mods ripped out to provide power and surge. I typically run with a Scoundrel so I don't mind the downhit to crit rating that much.

I see two key features to the build. A reliable hard-hitting Stockstrike (highest crit is about 3.8K) and worry-free ammo management. Between the three ammo management skills, I rarely run low on ammo. I go many warzones without having to Recharge Cells or use Reserve Power Cell. The only time I do have ammo issues are the times when I'm not drawing any attacks or CC. That does not happen often.

Because I have so much uptime, I can pull some respectable damageboard scores. I've included some damageboards in the movies just to give an idea of what a good warzone looks like for me. This is not epeen stuff and it won't compare to what a pure DPS build can do, but it's not as bad as some would have you believe.

A "good" Voidstar will typically have me in the 300K-400K damage range with 50K-100K on protection. There are not a lot of good damage-dealing Republic PvPers on my server, so I typically have to fill that role when I do WZs. That drops my protection score down a good bit from where it could be since it's difficult to maintain a 15m range when I'm chasing people around trying to kill them.

OOZO STRIKES BACK: FURIOUS ANGER!

Content: RAGE, Stealth Scan, Smuggle, 1vNs, 2vNs, and a 3vN

OOZO STRIKES BACK: Why I Almost Quit the Game

Content: Civil War, some 3-CAPS, Side-rush cut-offs

Edited by Raggok

Hey Oozo, couple quick questions.

I'm curious which weapon you are running with Eliminator or Supercommando? I'm still saving up for it so I can't recognize it on sight. Are you using all eliminator earpieces and implants as well?

No brutal impact and no focused impact. Less interested in HIB?

You also went for the Combat Stims instead of Power Armor. I can see the limitless ammo being nice, but as Taugrim preaches, mitigation is king in SWTOR. What made you go that direction?

Big fan, love your vids.

Hey Oozo, couple quick questions.

I'm curious which weapon you are running with Eliminator or Supercommando? I'm still saving up for it so I can't recognize it on sight. Are you using all eliminator earpieces and implants as well?

No brutal impact and no focused impact. Less interested in HIB?

You also went for the Combat Stims instead of Power Armor. I can see the limitless ammo being nice, but as Taugrim preaches, mitigation is king in SWTOR. What made you go that direction?

Big fan, love your vids.

I use a shield generator, but everything else is damage-focused. I typically have healing so mitigation isn't a huge priority. The free ammo is very helpful for long drawn out fights against other premades.

If I was focused more on doing 1v1s or small scale stuff without a healer I'd probably go with damage mitigation.

I don't have any DoTs with this build and HiB is on a long cooldown so I didn't want to invest points in it. To me, HiB is an all or nothing thing since it's white damage.

Edited by Raggok

Oozo,

Thank you for putting out another quality video.

In all of your videos I gain something when I watch them; this time it was your ready use of Stealth Scan as you walked, that move is beautiful and is now added to my tool kit! ;)

I agree with your assessment of game slugishness being caused by the CCs tied to the GCD. Maybe the developers will change this but I have not heard of any discussion on this topic; perhaps they will watch your video and take notice.

I love the full shield spec and ran it with great success when I first hit lv50, though I favor putting points into "Power Armor", it is very potent. At the time I was in full supercommando gear and had all possible points in survivability, I later switched to an Iron Fist spec and felt squishier; there was a noticeable difference.

My point is that the full Shield spec is still a good choice and we may see more of them when rated's come out. I predict this because I can see where a very hard to kill "Tank" would excel at guarding a Node or Door, they would just need to hold off attackers long enough for reinforcements. I also see the full shield spec coming strong if a capture the flag type WZ is ever released; very similar to the full PROT Warriors from WoW running the flag.

Thanks again for the video.