New to streaming & like your input!

Nelle

Hey SWTOR community - I just started streaming for fun and would appreciate any feedback or support you could toss my way.

I play both a War Hero Assassin and Battlemaster Sentinel.

We'll be doing some PTS Operationsps & flashpoints later tonight so tune in!

Also something special going on tonight I cant talk about here so check it out!

http://www.twitch.tv/n3llee

Edited by Nelle

I dunno how I feel about this fad of streaming video games. If it was something you did between friends and personal acquaintances to demonstrate something or share an experience, I totally get it.

But what is the motivation, exactly, behind asking people to watch someone else play a video game. This is not aimed at you specifically, Nelle, but sometimes I feel like these people wanting me to watch their game are just... desperate for attention.

I like watching them for games I can't afford to buy. It's cool, because I get to experience something I could not before. And also it saves me tons of time, because I can actually do homework and stuff during time it would take me to fill in the combat parts to get to the story line scenes I want to see. It's a great service, that you and others do for busy people, I actually do get that. I've watched friends stream a game for me, but the difference was, that was a friend, someone I could totally nerdgasm with and get emotional and involved in the content of the game together with because we were close and it was something that actually built our friendship to be stronger because it was a shared experience.

However, I fail to see how this is really a needed service. Almost all games offer free trial times or demo's if you are not sure whether you want to invest money in it, and footage of play time in videos, information, etc. So I don't see how watching a streamed game is helpful in selecting a new game actually.

I consider there's a strong chance that video game companies might start shutting it down, because what you are essentially doing, is making it so people don't even have to buy a game anymore to experience it, which they might start to feel is you taking money from their pockets, or infringing on their copyright by broadcasting their game without paying royalties or something. I mean look at all the legality over internet broadcasts of music. Let's be honest here, if you have a donate button up on a video game stream, you are technically pirating someone else's content in order to earn money for yourself, unless you have filed for a full non-profit corporation with IRS status of a 501 and all that stuff.

I'm seriously uncomfortable with donate buttons on a live stream. Again, not specifically aimed at you, but a part of the whole streaming game trend that's going on. It's like the gamer who is streaming is literally asking for a free hand-out to support his leisure time hobby. How is this much different than a drunk in a bar begging for people to buy him a drink? Sure, it costs money to pay for a good streaming account, and to buy games and game equipment... but uh... the streaming gamer wants us to pay him to have fun rather than pay ourselves so we can do it?

So you see where I am coming from on this, and why I feel so confused about the fad. There are both pro's and cons involved in the streaming video game thing going around. I'm pretty ambivalent about it, and quite frankly it all boils down to 2 points I just can't wrap my head around: Game Streamers want attention, and Game Streamers want money donated to them so they can play games.