Fellow Combat Medics, Relax!

SpaceGaunt

After I realized that the 1.2 pts patch notes were up, and subsequently reading them, I knew I was not going to find good cheers from the commando forums. I'm already counting four threads on the subject :p.

I'm a level 50 Commando Medic, valor rank 49, almost full champ gear, so I thought I would chip in on my thoughts on the pts 1.2 patch.

As you can tell from my 'credentials' I mostly focus on PvP :D. That being said, I can't really speak to the PvE aspect so much of Commando Healing.

To be honest, I am surprised at some of the changes the Combat Medic got, ESPECIALLY the cost increase for the trauma probe to 2 ammo! That really hurts. Aside from that, everything seems reasonable. 5% less armor bonus here, less healing there.

From the changes i've noticed, there is nothing too outrageous going on to solicit 1.2 commando MAJOR NERFS threads popping up. We, as a collective, have to relax, stop the knee jerk reaction, I mean the notes were JUST posted yesterday/today. We have to give it time to really sink in and make reasonable assumptions to how the changes will translate into the game play.

After I realized that the 1.2 pts patch notes were up, and subsequently reading them, I knew I was not going to find good cheers from the commando forums. I'm already counting four threads on the subject :p.

I'm a level 50 Commando Medic, valor rank 49, almost full champ gear, so I thought I would chip in on my thoughts on the pts 1.2 patch.

As you can tell from my 'credentials' I mostly focus on PvP :D. That being said, I can't really speak to the PvE aspect so much of Commando Healing.

To be honest, I am surprised at some of the changes the Combat Medic got, ESPECIALLY the cost increase for the trauma probe to 2 ammo! That really hurts. Aside from that, everything seems reasonable. 5% less armor bonus here, less healing there.

From the changes i've noticed, there is nothing too outrageous going on to solicit 1.2 commando MAJOR NERFS threads popping up. We, as a collective, have to relax, stop the knee jerk reaction, I mean the notes were JUST posted yesterday/today. We have to give it time to really sink in and make reasonable assumptions to how the changes will translate into the game play.

The major issue you've overlooked is ammo costs, in order to run a sustainable rotation, throughput has to be drastically cut back, now.

The major issue you've overlooked is ammo costs, in order to run a sustainable rotation, throughput has to be drastically cut back, now.

I think this is where we'll see a big difference between PvP and PvE.

In PvP, the throughput is already cut way back, thanks to all the time we spend running around. So I don't think that this is going to have a big impact on our PvP ammo management.

I can't speak to PvE. Not a lot of experience there. But I'm guessing that the effect will be much larger.

Its simple math for anyone that understands the mechanics of a combat medic. Based on these changes to our ammo use vs ammo regen our single target healing output dropped by at least 25% over any interval greater then 30 seconds.

Toss in the other miscellaneous nerfs and the change to trauma probe and its quite a drastic change for the worse.

There is nothing knee jerk or unreasonable about these first day reactions. They're based on a sound understanding of how the class works and how these changes impact it.

That being said, I can't really speak to the PvE aspect so much of Commando Healing.
And that right there should put an end to this thread /close thread

PvP changes to CM aren't too bad because as has been said there is a built in throttle.

BUT PvE has been made nearly impossible to be an effective healer in HM and OPS. It was hard work prior to this, but with all the changes combined it hurt us a lot.

So as far as your Relax! comment, you need to put a * there and talk to the PvP CM, as the PvE CM's won't be relaxing any time soon!

Yes, these changes will have almost no effect on Commando PvP healing.

They destroy PvE healing.

This is us relaxed, and reasonable. This is the reaction of people who understand the class realizing that the Developers have no idea what the hell they are doing.

How does it DESTROY PvE healing? Plox explain!

Wait, this is a RELAXED response???

Not the people on the thread, but the threads that proclaim Bioware RUINED Commando Healing. If you honestly think that's the case, then you need to relax.

Edited by SpaceGaunt

I heal almost exclusively pve... this is why it hurts our PVE healing badly.

1. Trauma Probe was a "toss on tank so I can take care of someone else for a moment" skill. Now that it costs 2 ammo, it's no longer that. It's "do I use trauma probe, or just tray and get a heal off? Do I waste my bacta infusion on my non tank?" If you're forced to use the Trauma Probe, then heal, then jump back to your tank... you just wasted 3 ammo. 2 for Trauma Probe, 1 for the new nerf to AMP's proc.

2. Kolto Bomb is a JOKE. 3 targets, 4 targets, 10 targets, it doesn't matter. Kolto Bomb's use in PVE was to toss it down with supercharge cell for the 10% armor and a healing bonus before opening up with AMP + MP to quick heal your tank and other party members during heavy AoE damage.

3. Field Aid now costs us ammo and applies a "small heal" a small heal in Bioware terms probably means it's even weaker than hammershot's crappy heal, which is only useful before needed big heals and to charge supercharge cell.

4. The 2 energy that supercharge cells used to restore was helpful, but far from gamebreaking. 2 energy paid for 2/3 of the first AMP + MP we used when activating it. That's now 1/4 paid for. We also now heal for 5% less, our Kolto Bomb loses 5% of its damage reduction making it even more useless than it already was.

I could elaborate more, but this is enough.

Yes, these changes will have almost no effect on Commando PvP healing.

They destroy PvE healing.

This is us relaxed, and reasonable. This is the reaction of people who understand the class realizing that the Developers have no idea what the hell they are doing.

Well I think it will have a big impact on PVP as well. For example Trauma Probe efficency will be close to 0 (appart from the pre combat cast) Because forcused fired target switching is more frequent in PVP.

To be honest, taking a step bad and looking at our healing tree, I find it now VERY lackluster.

- supercharged cell cut in half, bringing barely nothing now.

- 3 points for 1 ammo gain every 7.5 sec

- Trauma Probe? The heal/ammo just a little better than our big heal, but spread over 30 sec ...

- 5 points for 15% surge (3 points for 30% for scoundre, on their main heal)

Basically, appart from few % and a ammo gain here or here, there won't be any major difference between the heal of a 31 combat medic or the heal of a 31 gunnery (single target wise of course)

This gives an idea of how big the nerf is. The cut in half the major benefice of the tree. All major core mechanism of the class (supercharge, our two heal combo, free probe) have been destroyed. They towned down our supercharged DPS by 15%.

I did some math on another thread, we are looking at 30% 40% healing throughput drop, on intensive phases. This is a calculus, however with guesses and stuff, but It gives the order of magnitude of the nerf.

I stop playing from today. Moreover than these nerf, I am extremely worried by the internal testing and competencies of the companie devs. By the problems of communication and the lack of " MMO industrie understanding ". You can't nerf classes to oblivion when people invest part of their life in their toons. You can't deliver a product, knowing that 70% of the player will play one faction, without putting barriers. You can't release a world PVP area (ilum) without some sensible testing.

Speaking of that , 1.1 was a huge Fail. It was obvious from the patch notes and knowing the faction imbalance. Yet they didn't listen, they obviously didn't test with minimal logic and that was the fiasco we know.

IT IS THE EXACT SAME THING HERE.

How does it DESTROY PvE healing? Plox explain!

Wait, this is a RELAXED response???

Not the people on the thread, but the threads that proclaim Bioware RUINED Commando Healing. If you honestly think that's the case, then you need to relax.

Read the two posts after yours. They covered the key points pretty clearly.

I also made a suggestion forum thread, if anyone wants to contribute.

You missed the point where another class...a ranged class also recieved the 20% healing debuff. All I can say is CM is dead if these changes happen.

You have a point with that. -_-

While I'm not a huge pvp guy (even if I do enjoy it from time to time) that will only further hurt us.

Hello Everyone,

To help us keep the Trooper forums organized, we're going to ask that any discussion on changes to Combat Medics be redirected to this thread: 1.2 - Combat Medic - Major Nerfs.

Remember that the Patch Notes are always subject to change and will not be finalized until testing is completed.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding.