Brass Tacks: Where is the RP?

Kellindell

Ok so lets get down to brass tacks.

The game has been out for a while. When the poop hit the fan at launch their was all that drama involving super servers. It seems to have died down.

Alot has happened in the game in a short time, alot of people have left due to the lack of RP or PvP support. Alot hit 50 and got bored.

At this point, I think we can say the smoke has cleared. People have leveled, got the "newness" of the game out of their systems, and if RP is to be found now would be the time to get an honest assessment of it.

I play on Shien rep side. Albeit I do see some RP from time to time, its not that common. Fortunately from what ive seen even the Non RPers respect not being OOC in /say for the most part, which makes it not the worst server to be on.

You can occasionally see some pick up RP on the fleet, but even that died down fast. I rarely see events run, and if you judge the activity by the swtor RP forums, its pretty dead.

I tried shien empire side, and I was essentially warned to get out before I wasted time leveling a character that side. I did also see tons of OOC in /say on the fleet.

I hate rerolling, but I will do it for a good reason and without server xfers its my only chance right now.

I got to level 50 and got bored really fast. The PvP on shien is actually amazing, which might explain why the RP isnt. That server got lucky and caught alot of PvPers on both sides, and not just alot of an RP server, alot for any kind of server.

But end game, I find whether you play casually or hardcore, you run out of stuff to do. And that is where RP comes in. I dont want to waste a bunch of time grinding out characters and professions and BM titles only to find it was a waste of time.

TLDR

Where is the RP? Looking at the forums here and swtorrp it appears to be Ebon hawk and Lord Ardraas.

Id like some people to give some honest opinions though. I play with my wife, right now that is about it because my large group of friends who started the game with me all quit. I made a decent amount of credits and such on Shien, but a year from now im sure those numbers will be completely trivial if they arent already. What matters the most to me is having a good RP community around me, otherwise the game has no sustainability for me.

I was looking for a little more detail then that.

For example, someone described sith side RP on shien as rare and hard to find, but they also said what RP you do find is dominated by Sith RP. To someone playing a sith that may sound awesome. To someone who wants to play a bounter hunter and have a good cantina to go too, non force users to RP with etc... it may not sound great.

Any details anyone can give would be useful.

But thank you for the reply, and a quick one at that.

Other useful bits of info are things like "Mostly happens in guilds" or "Pick up RP is generally welcome..."

Alot of the RP that does happen on my server is Clicky, and although they welcome walk up, the unknown walk ups tend to get overly ignored while the people who know each other just talk and let you watch.

Im looking for a welcoming community. I mean who isnt, but sometimes you dont find out the RP community isnt welcome, or isnt even existent until youve already poured alot of time into a server, and im looking to avoid that.

Vrook Lamar is a smaller server, therefore, less random RP. I think that mostly, people are just shy or looking in the wrong places. It really doesn't take much to do a /w ((Hey, would you like to do some RP?)) before engaging, so you can at least tell if they are willing to do so before you do. I am finding plenty of RP, just not with people randomly. Of course, my main has no reason to ICly be on Belsavis, or Balmorra... Or Ilum... So it makes me feel slightly guilty when I have to decline random RP on account of, "It'd be ridiculous for my character."

Hey I know this is a stupid question but on the RP server I was on there was no difference in gameplay or anything. Whats the difference between the pve/pvp servers and RP servers?

Gameplay wise no difference. RP-PvP uses the same gameplay set as a pvp server, and a regular RP server that of a PvE server(normal).

Not much to do with the original question, but their is your answer.

RP on Ebon Hawk is heavy on the republic side and we never turn anyone away, even had a show down between a republic sister and a Darth who was trying to pick her up. We team up to role play through the levels together, romantically if that's what you want. You can find everything. My guild is always in character when in game except in guild chat. Ronin is our fellow guild that allows male characters. We are the daughters of the force, female characters only. Edited by sevalaricgirl

I'll put in my two credits and hopefully it'll help you out in the process.

Firstly, I have a 50 Agent on Shien whose concept I am in love with and whose look I would kill to replicate. Then I have a 33 Trooper who I've been leveling on Lord Adraas who I'm also in love with, but I'd kind of like to change her hair. Apparently going for the Mako look isn't really making me as happy as I thought it would. Regardless...

Yeah, Empire on Shien is pretty quiet and dominated by Sith RP. This presents a problem for me as my character loathes Sith to their very core, so she ignores them (knowing it's best not to try and kill them). I've found a pretty awesome guild to RP with that even runs Ops, but they're mostly Sith as well.

Meanwhile on LA I've seen a lot of RP all over the place. I frequently see RP in the Fleet Station and the last two out of three times I've been in Nar Shaddaa I've seen RP in both the Lower Promenade and the cantina branching off of there. Lord Adraas actually reminds me a lot of the Virtue server in City of Heroes, if you know the reference. There's a lot of people RPing, the community is friendly, and there's a plethera of guilds to choose from. The one I just joined is pretty happening and I'm quite happy with them.

I have no idea about the reverse side of either of those servers, so I can't weigh either of those.

...Where is the RP? Looking at the forums here and swtorrp it appears to be Ebon hawk and Lord Ardraas...

Well that is because you aren't taking into account the fact that most the players of Sanctum of the Exalted are too busy RPing and planning community events to post on these forums. Some Events to look for on Sanctum:

1. Server Wide Great Hunt to officially recognize the 'Real" Winner.

2. Server Wide Swoop Racing League

3. Server Wide Galactic Fight Championship

4. Cross Faction Storylines and Plot.

5. The Imperial Council and Galactic Senate

This on top of daily and monthly RP events, open world RP, and hot spots. We even have monthly guild leader meetings for collaboration and story line integration between factions.

Confirming RP happening on Imperial Kath Hound.

We who do RP on Kath Hound are making every effort to do so publicly in an effort to provide an impetus of immersion for those who are still unsure if they want to RP. It's coming. It's going to take some work, but we're stitching together a community.

Feel free to join us, but don't get discouraged if you log in and don't immediately see RP on Vaiken. Seek us out. We can build it together.

I have not played anywhere but Lord Adraas, Sith side, so I can't comment on anything else... but I can say I am very happy with the RP where I am.

Lord Adraas tends to be fairly Empire-focused, but there most definitely are active Republic RP guilds as well. I see them out and about in cross-faction RP locations such as Nar Shaddaa and Voss-Ka. Dromund Kaas, Nal Hutta, and Korriban always have RPers as well.

While there is plenty of cantina/social/"tea party" RP to be had on Lord Adraas, I personally only do Sith/intelligence gathering RP and am never lacking for opportunities. This means that it's only rare that I step foot in a cantina and my characters are usually roaming around cities and planets on guild events. There is also criminal RP on Adraas, Jedi RP, and Republic military RP off the top of my head. While RP events aside from social RP tend to be guild-centric, there is also plenty of opportunity for freeform/pickup RP.

The best advice I can give you for ANY server is to look around the RP guilds advertised on both these forums and http://www.swtor-rp.com to find something that looks like it would match your playstyle. I know some people are anti-guild, but I have had great success integrating to new communities by picking out a guild I think suits what I'm looking for. It is always easier to integrate with a group than trying to go it alone.

I wish you luck in any case!

There's lots of RP on Sanctum, both random open-world RP, RP in specific open events (Cantina nights) and RP in guild events.

Our RP resources include

We have our own server forums to get organized http://www.sanctumoftheexalted.com

We have our own Facebook page to chat IRL http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/359245180777088/

We have a swoop racing league http://www.galacticswoop.com

We have lots of server wide events: http://swtor-rp.com/sanctum/

We have t-shirts http://www.cafepress.com/scorpienne/8383874

We even have a soundtrack! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f3MK-hiKa8

We keep up IC and OC galaxy-wide channels.

Republicnet is the Republic IC channel, and Republicooc is the Republic OOC channel. These are server-wide. Imperialnet and Imperialooc are the Imperial equivalents. They’re generally quiet, until someone starts RPing and then a lot of folks chime in.

We have “enough” people that there’s always someone around. At peak hours, we range from 450-650 people on the server, and our Republic to Imperial ratio is very even. (Survey here so you can see how the numbers were calculated http://www.thethirteenthlegion.torportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=433241&TabID=3813820)

Paige

I've been around a few RP servers and I'd have to say I find the one with the most impromptu RP to be Lord Adrass.

Having said that though, the amount of impromptu RP in this game is a lot lower than in any other mmorpg I've played. The last one I played was Champions Online and that was free to play and still had far more random RP than I've seen here.

The Progenitor (EU RP) has plenty of RP. There are guilds who RP on Ord Mantell and Tython and I've seen others Rping around Coruscant, Republic side. There is also RP on the Empire side too.

The community I'm part of RP wherever it takes us and we've been seen around on Tatooine, Tython, Taris, Nar Shadaa and Coruscant. We tend to avoid the Republic Fleet, but will occasionally visit a cantina when on leave.

Sometimes, you have to hunt RP out. Personally, I tend to avoid RPing where there are large groups, simply because of the poor chat system and no chat bubbles, in this game. It can make RP conversations hard to follow.

There are also many styles of RP, some are in character when questing, others aren't. Some follow canon (although it gets a little hard when this keeps being changed!) there are others who do their own thing.

Just like in RL, it can take time to get to know people, generally, people don't go into a restaurant, sit at a table and talk to complete strangers, you have to get know them first. It's the same with RP.