Wow hammer shot hits hard!

arcadeboredom

So I decided to make a commando after levelling a bounty hunter powertech.

First thing I noticed while pvping was how hard the standard hammer shot attack hits!

I've been breaking 200k in alderaan and huttball as a level 10 predominantly spamming it!

Certainly hits a lot harder than my powertech's standard attack.

oh man i cant wait to get grav round now.

I'ma own soo sooo hard :D

only 3 levels to go :D

But I wanted to ask... Whats the point of using charged bolts etc once you get grav round at 20? doesn't seem to make much sense

There isn't, really. This is increasingly true the higher you go in Gunnery. Fully spec'd (31 points) in Gunnery, Grav Round applies a stackable armor debuff (Gravity Vortex) and two buffs (Charged Barrier and Charged Barrel) and has a chance to proc a third buff (Curtain of Fire) when properly spec'd. While Charged Barrier (a buff that reduces incoming damage) is also applied by Charged Bolts, the others are not.

Gravity Vortex is a stacking armor debuff, making Grav Round and other attacks mitigated by armor hit harder. Charged Barrel is a stacking buff to High Impact Bolts. Curtain of Fire is a buff to Full Auto that also finishes the cooldown of Full Auto, both making it hit harder and making it usable more often. Curtain of Fire and Charged Barrel are consumed on use of their respective skills, so you need to use Grav Round more to reapply them or refresh them. In my experience, Grav Round tends to do a bit more damage, especially when fully spec'd in the Gunnery tree; however, they are rated fairly close in base damage and circumstances may favor one slightly over the other because of their different damage types.

Since both attacks cost the same amount of ammo, there really is no need for Charged Bolts once you have Grav Round and the higher you get in the Gunnery tree, the more true that becomes. The Gunnery tree relies on Grav Round. The Assault tree relies on Charged Bolts. (Note: the Charged Barrier buff to Charged Bolts is from the Gunnery tree, so even though Assault uses Charged Bolts and Charged Bolts can apply that buff, you only get that buff with points spent in Gunnery.)

Edited by Sotaudi

use ur charged bolts if your grav round is interrupted. i watch most commandos get rolled by sorcs because they dont use it. my charged bolts crit between 2-4k still. even as gunny. they stand there and wait for the timer for grav round to come back because they find it useless and forget about it. so keep it in your bar and use it when ur grav is interrupted

So I decided to make a commando after levelling a bounty hunter powertech.

First thing I noticed while pvping was how hard the standard hammer shot attack hits!

I've been breaking 200k in alderaan and huttball as a level 10 predominantly spamming it!

Certainly hits a lot harder than my powertech's standard attack.

Bad troll is bad and a troll.