Fetch this, kill that?

masaville

I just started yesterday and spent a few hours grinding to level 10 with what at first glance appears to be the usual fetch this and kill that quest delivery. While the story is interesting and the combat very cool, it sure seems so far to be a rinse and repeat of most mmos. With that said, I'm not going to assume that's what it's going to be like all the way through, so I'm curious to know from those who have played beta if the game has other angles to it? Or is it your usual grind with a slightly interesting story line.

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole Star Wars thing, but I didn't leave last night after 5 or so hours of gameplay feeling like I had to rush back to play. The wow factor just wasn't there. I'm interested to hear how others are enjoying it and what aspects of the game they find most interesting.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started yesterday and spent a few hours grinding to level 10 with what at first glance appears to be the usual fetch this and kill that quest delivery. While the story is interesting and the combat very cool, it sure seems so far to be a rinse and repeat of most mmos. With that said, I'm not going to assume that's what it's going to be like all the way through, so I'm curious to know from those who have played beta if the game has other angles to it? Or is it your usual grind with a slightly interesting story line.

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole Star Wars thing, but I didn't leave last night after 5 or so hours of gameplay feeling like I had to rush back to play. The wow factor just wasn't there. I'm interested to hear how others are enjoying it and what aspects of the game they find most interesting.

Start here:

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet

Did you exepct to talk your way to cap?

Every MMORPG and most cRPGs are just murder and gathering simulators.

Honestly, if you are going to complain about it you should have examples of what quests should be in these games. Otherwise keep your mouth shut.

Its a MMO. If you don't wanna do fetch this, kill that, stop playing MMO's.

Even Skyrim has a ton of such quests for ****'s sake. And its a single player GotY candidate. You can't just come up with constant unique interesting quests you have never seen before in a 100+ hour game.

Edited by Claymaniac

Really it's how you look at it. Quests in any rpg essentially boil down to deliver this or kill that. It's the story that revolves around the quests that make it interesting and fun, or boring and a grind. IMO, SWTOR has done wonders in making all the quests feel different, and as if they have a reason for existing.

Really it's how you look at it. Quests in any rpg essentially boil down to deliver this or kill that. It's the story that revolves around the quests that make it interesting and fun, or boring and a grind. IMO, SWTOR has done wonders in making all the quests feel different, and as if they have a reason for existing.

True. And that's for a mature perspective amongst all those all immature replies.

TOR's quests are way more interesting than that. You can reduce everything to a basic element if you put your mind to it.

For instance... this game is just clicking buttons. Derp.

While true, that's not very accurate or fair, it's over-general, just like the OP isn't being accurate or fair, and too general.

Pretty much every game except for sports and puzzle games can be boiled down to a series of fetch-quests and kill-quests.

Most single-player games don't give you express orders to kill 15 enemies, but you end up killing them anyway.

MMOs give you a certain number of enemies to kill because unlike single-player games, enemies have to respawn.

You need to approach MMOs with a different mindset. Single-player games can use a lot of window dressing to keep you from realizing that you're basically doing a quest called "defeat 20 skeletons and get the dragon jewel from the tomb" or "shoot 50 russian soldiers and disarm the nuke", but MMOs find it harder to disguise the core goal.

Honestly, what do people expect? Before MMO questing, it was grind grind grind. People complained... They give us questing... people complain. Sheesh.

THIS

I guess maybe these people didn't play these games when it was just about exploration and killing.

The fact that the stories and quests have evolved as much as they have is truly amazing. Though sometimes I get tired of questing, and just want to go grind some kill exp. Thankfully I still have that option.

You should all be ashamed of yourself for treating this person the way you are. It sounds like you all need your teeth kicked in.

How about showing a little kindness? Promptly answering the mans question without flaming him?

I guess internet anonymity allows us to behave in ways we'd never otherwise act for fear of.. getting our teeth kicked in. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

I didn't really expect anything different... I haven't seen an MMO yet that didn't have questing/grinding/instances as the main ways to level.

Having said that, I'm enjoying the game so far. I've rolled three toons and haven't gotten any of them past level 10 yet so I can't say what happens later in the game. I'm just enjoying the story line, the graphics and blowing stuff up with my bounty hunter. :-) I might actually enjoy the bounty hunter more than my Jedi Knight, which is what I was most looking forward to playing.

Indeed. All MMOs and most cRPGs are essentially mob grinds with smoke and mirrors to make the tasks seem different. Asian MMOs tend to just give up on the pretence to a certain extent.

SWTOR smoke and mirrors is the the way it thrusts the story at you, and limits the amount of reading you do (and gives NPC's more than 6 stock lines to parrot for every occasion).

Did you exepct to talk your way to cap?

Every MMORPG and most cRPGs are just murder and gathering simulators.

Honestly, if you are going to complain about it you should have examples of what quests should be in these games. Otherwise keep your mouth shut.

If you wanted to get creative for smuggler I'd like slicing quests. They could get creative and use "programming" language to write working code to perform an override action. I've seen the solve a puzzle slice. You get a clue and must solve a riddle.

Giving you the actual sense of slicing a terminal. I think it would at least serve as a fun option. Since some wouldn't want to participate make it option to just type in bypass.

Advanced Training. Killing but teaching you more advanced techniques. Scoot and Shoot. You must move and use 3 skills to form a combo.

Observation. Especially for the Assassin type classes. Rewards for keeping a kill count under 5. Instead of 5 of 5 x things murdered. Particularly of interest to Republic players. I would have liked to see them try to inverse the murder count. Can you beat this quest without killing 20 of 20 for a bonus! Particularly among Jedi.