Has the clock started ticking?

Fardarter

I laugh at everyone whose getting their hopes up for GW2, they're going to be sorely disappointed.

I would rather be disappointed with an MMO that is F2P than one that has me paying monthly.

Am I getting my hopes up...eh sorta...am I a zealot for GW2...sorta kinda. We'll see when they give out beta invites. I'll still be here on TOR and playing WoW of course...30 bucks a month is good enough.

Why is GW2 kinda like Ron Paul?

But IMHO higher quality F2P is like a really nice KIA...may get the job done and you like it, but its a KIA, where as EA/BW can afford to make Hemi-Challengers. :D

Actually not true, FTP games actually have greater earnings potential through micro-transactions. Everyone laughed until they started seeing inferior games raking in more than $15/month from gamers. The reason all the big studios are saying big budget subscription games are done is because FTP is potentially more profitable with less of an up front cost to the studio. Basically you remove the "commitment" and people are willing to spend more. At least that is what they are saying now, markets don't usually remain static so someone else will come up with a new model but as of right now the shift is to free to play. Original guild wars has sold 6.5 million copies, even if they only get 20 bucks per that 130 million dollars. It isn't wow but it is a money maker for sure and that doesn't take into account micro transactions at all.

I never liked the idea of micro transactions at all, i always viewed them as a rip off. After playing LOTRO though and seeing how they did it I am more comfortable with it now. Basically you sell "convenience" not "advantage" and people don't complain too much.

Even if GW2 isn't perfect (and it won't be) at launch, they don't have to worry about losing paying customers.
Ya get whatcha pay for imho. Played GW from vanilla beta (called Prophecies now I guess) through Factions & completely lost interest before ever finishing Factions - was way too linear. Plus level 20 was still the same old level 20, just in a Mandarin setting. Maybe GW2 is radically different from it's predecessors. Unless they go the microtransaction route (cheaper in the long run just to pay fees or buy the expansion outright anyway) I don't see how it can be that much better.

Actually not true, FTP games actually have greater earnings potential through micro-transactions. Everyone laughed until they started seeing inferior games raking in more than $15/month from gamers. The reason all the big studios are saying big budget subscription games are done is because FTP is potentially more profitable with less of an up front cost to the studio. Basically you remove the "commitment" and people are willing to spend more. At least that is what they are saying now, markets don't usually remain static so someone else will come up with a new model but as of right now the shift is to free to play. Original guild wars has sold 6.5 million copies, even if they only get 20 bucks per that 130 million dollars. It isn't wow but it is a money maker for sure and that doesn't take into account micro transactions at all.

I never liked the idea of micro transactions at all, i always viewed them as a rip off. After playing LOTRO though and seeing how they did it I am more comfortable with it now. Basically you sell "convenience" not "advantage" and people don't complain too much.

The real FTP winner is League of Legends. Not an MMO but all they sell is champs and skins and they make buckets of money. There are numerous people that have spent upwards of $3000 on that game.....

While you're right, its nothing to be encouraged. Seriously its like Airlines. They start gouging through "micro-transactions" with baggage, meals etc..

Next thing you know, you'll be in a pet-carrier in the cargo hold.

LOTRO is the only game that has done F2P right: Why? Because you can FORGO F2P and get the subscription and actually Save money and get All the content.

We are 3 months into SWTOR and so far we have seen a whole bunch of bug fixes with more to come next month along with some new features that have many of us excited for 1.2. Earlier today Guild Wars 2 launched its pre-order site and will be accepting orders on April 10th I believe.

The hype and expectations surrounding GW2 are not all that dissimilar from what was SWTOR 6 months ago. The number one complaint about this game has been that it simply was not ready for launch when it was released. Whether you agree with that or not, so far the vast majority of patches have been to address bugs or other issues, 1.2 will be the first patch with a bunch of "new" content.

Now, what happens to SWTOR if GW2 releases and doesn't feel rushed and doesn't have a monthly fee? In my opinion,(clearly) What EA/BioWare does right now until the launch GW2 will determine the fate of SWTOR. SWTOR needs to get to a state where players stop seeing bugs on a daily basis and are only focused on having fun.

Even if GW2 isn't perfect (and it won't be) at launch, they don't have to worry about losing paying customers.

So what do you think? All the discussion in the past has been about WoW but WoW isn't the real threat to SWTOR. GW2 is and it is right around the corner. I am curious to read any thoughts you guys have about this.

plz close this pointless thread, every mmo has bugs and it took wow many years before they fixed them all, how long did it take wow to add new content? the next expansion which u had to pay for every one of them. Swtor has done a great job on all aspects of the game and im not a fanboy i may play a few hours a week

But IMHO higher quality F2P is like a really nice KIA...may get the job done and you like it, but its a KIA, where as EA/BW can afford to make Hemi-Challengers. :D

I would agree with you a few years ago. LOTRO is a high quality game. I am not a huge fan of how it plays but it has a high production value. My point is companies are realizing you can make money at f2p. I don't think moving forward you can say a ftp game will be lower quality, if top tier studios are making the game. It has a huge advantage of not having to keep people occupied continiously, they can do just fine if people play a month and come back several months later and players dont need to resub to do so, having a potential customer who MAY spend money is better than forcing someone to resub just to try something they are not sure they will enjoy. They are going to get there money its just a matter of how they do it. These games will be designed around paid mini expansions and more frequent box expansions. It can be done, EQ has almost 20 xpacks in 13 years, and is going FTp in a couple weeks. The difference will be where eq is converting, new games will be designed that way from the word go.

forget gw2, i'd be more worried about archeage. (or tera)

it uses the crysis engine in an mmo which looks amazing.

just look at this, one of the best things i've ever seen in an mmo:

Edited by teambff

I'm going to buy WoW for the very first time soon.

Something about this game just has me not wanting to play it. Can't say for sure.

I'm sure I'll come back to it, though. Once I have had too much of the mind-numbing grind to get to 85

forget gw2, i'd be more worried about archeage. (or tera)

it uses the crysis engine in an mmo which looks amazing.

just look at this, one of the best things i've ever seen in an mmo:

worst game vid i think i have ever seen

Edited by Soulscorcher

I'm going to buy WoW for the very first time soon.

Something about this game just has me not wanting to play it. Can't say for sure.

I'm sure I'll come back to it, though. Once I have had too much of the mind-numbing grind to get to 85

I know exactly what you mean. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, I love most of BWs past games, I love MMOs, but for some reason I don't enjoy this game.

At first I pinned it on missing features, then on bugs, then on bad end game content, but none of those really fit.

Tbh, I have no idea why I don't have fun playing this game, but I don't. It's quite odd, and I have a feeling a lot of other people feel the same exact way.

Hi there!

We ask that all new threads posted here in General Discussion be on-topic and relevant to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

As this thread is primarily a discussion of other games, it is now closed.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation in this matter.