BOTS in Warzones going unchecked

Kurin

This weekend, I noticed a significant number of bots playing warzones on my server (Jekk"Jekk Tarr). Both Republic and Imperial. I say significant, when in fact, it's only a few, but they are constantly in queue, or playing, so it feels like every match there's at least 1 of them present (in 8 WZ played today, only once did my faction NOT have a bot...but the other faction did).

This is in the 10-49 bracket. I haven't noticed them in the 50 bracket. Anyone else notice them? Anyone else notice BioWare customer service do anything about them? I've written 8 tickets in the last 2 days, and continue to see these bots running. The regular PVPers I run with also tell me they've written numerous tickets, and yet we still see the bots.

Just wondering if anyone on a different server has noticed new bots, and whether you've noticed the botting problem being addressed, or continues to go unchecked? Basically I'm wondering if anyone has had success getting a BOT stopped?

FWIW, each ticket I write has the same basic response: 1) We've sent this info to a special team that is looking into it. 2) We will NEVER let you know what happens.

*Additionally, Bioware is putting in additional measures to combat against AFK in warzones. A new Vote to Kick feature will be implemented with additional measures to prevent abuse. A system will also be in place to only hand out medals to those that participate and not sit around in a corner.*

Snipped from an article written about up coming changes. In the event you were unaware of this. I love the fact they are finally bringing this into the game. Finally a way to get rid of the Bots and afk'ers.

Wt* are bots in a WZ? I pvp everyday and I have no idea what do you mean. How would you tell if its a bot playing or a player? Or, by bots do you mean afk?

Maybe its because I'm only in the lvl 50 wz's I guess if this is a real issue, otherwise I think troll. ;)

Wt* are bots in a WZ? I pvp everyday and I have no idea what do you mean. How would you tell if its a bot playing or a player? Or, by bots do you mean afk?

Maybe its because I'm only in the lvl 50 wz's I guess if this is a real issue, otherwise I think troll. ;)

They exist. Believe it. Pay more attention in zones and you can tell.

For those questioning if these players are bots, or how I can tell:

For the well known bots on my server, the more dedicated pvpers, for which I count myself, we call out their name at the beginning of every match: "Oh Yeah, we get Mooka this match. Mooka will surely save the day" "At the end of this match, I will be reporting Mooka as a bot/afker...please also report him" Or my least favorite: "Mooka is here, so I am leaving this Warzone"

During a match: "Don't worry, we can still win this match, we have Mooka"

If the person in question were a real player, there's no way they'd let this kind of Ops chat go unchecked without EVER responding.

As to their actual play, on my Bounty Hunter, let's say I do 250k dmg. The bot might do 10k. Once the bot did 513 total dmg, while I did 200k. The bot will never use Force Charge (all of them I see are Marauders), they just use the weak force building attack. The bot will use the EXACT SAME tactics in every warzone (aka, run straight to the middle node and try to cap it). For a bot, it's pretty smart (I give a little credit to the programmer), but it isn't advancing to the next room in Voidstar, once the first room is opened (either by defense or offense). In Huttball, the bot doesn't know how to pass (although, we could go on and on about how few people pass effectively). In Alderaan, if the middle zone is capped by his team, he will just run around in circles, typically beneath the mid area.

It's somewhat humerus to watch these bots play, and there's no way a real person could be this stupid. I see the same bot, played so pathetically, for literally hours and hours. Yesterday, I saw him going for 12 straight hours. There's no way a real person could be this dedicated to being this bad. It's simply not possible.

Regading the vote kick feature, in comparison to my idea:

Maybe vote kick will fix the problem I'm trying to address. If vote kick does fix botters and afkers, it will ALSO BE USED BY ELITISTS that want to kick the "nubs" from their WZs. It will get abused just the same, but when it get abused, the person being picked on will know it just happened to them. If that's you, how will you feel? At least with my method, you'll never know. (Ignorance is bliss)

Also, my proposal gives a chance for "the little guy" to not need a team of people to agree via vote kick that there's likely to be a problem with 1 player in the group.

We had a well known botter on my server, POTF and i know for a fact he was banned for it.

I think BW is doing a good job of answering reports from players.

Thanks Iite. I'm hoping I will agree with your sentiment. But 4 days of seeing the same bot, which had reach level 39 as of last night, have my confidence faultering...

Thanks Iite. I'm hoping I will agree with your sentiment. But 4 days of seeing the same bot, which had reach level 39 as of last night, have my confidence faultering...

Don't get me wrong he was botting for over a week before BW laid the ban hammer on him, but these things take time. I'm guessing a player needs to amass a few reports before BW will monitor the player for shady behavior.

lots of bots in the lowbie bracket...nobody really cares though since those games are mostly deathmatch games where people run around killing / dont care about winning.

Can't say ive seen a single bot in 50s yet though.

how good are the bots?

i remember that in quake 1 there were actually quite decent bots for multiplayer - and if you tweaked them they could give you a run for the money.

i would gladly take a bot with high skill over some random scrub who just started pvping and doesn't know what he is doing :-)

how good are the bots?

i remember that in quake 1 there were actually quite decent bots for multiplayer - and if you tweaked them they could give you a run for the money.

i would gladly take a bot with high skill over some random scrub who just started pvping and doesn't know what he is doing :-)

These ones are a joke. I've seen damage under 1k, pretty frequently. They only use their most basic attack. They run around in circles for no reason. I will say, that one thing they do fairly well, which real players could learn from, is they almost always attempt to cap a node. They do so blindly, often getting killed before reaching a node, or doing any damage to an opponent, but they'll go straight for mid, or a door, and attempt to cap it, to heck or high water. I saw a bot actually cap mid once...which goes to show the situational awareness of many of the players...

The lvl 1-49 BOTS exist soley to power level with a side benefit of raking in AFK credits and Valor.

The lvl 50 BOTS do so only for the Valor and credits.

There are even BOTS for space missions; for which who would even be able to report them?

The most annoying hacks going on ATM are the speed hacks and the global cool down hacks.

BW simply needs to build a method to detect and remove these players.

This weekend, I noticed a significant number of bots playing warzones on my server (Jekk"Jekk Tarr). Both Republic and Imperial. I say significant, when in fact, it's only a few, but they are constantly in queue, or playing, so it feels like every match there's at least 1 of them present (in 8 WZ played today, only once did my faction NOT have a bot...but the other faction did).

This is in the 10-49 bracket. I haven't noticed them in the 50 bracket. Anyone else notice them? Anyone else notice BioWare customer service do anything about them? I've written 8 tickets in the last 2 days, and continue to see these bots running. The regular PVPers I run with also tell me they've written numerous tickets, and yet we still see the bots.

Just wondering if anyone on a different server has noticed new bots, and whether you've noticed the botting problem being addressed, or continues to go unchecked? Basically I'm wondering if anyone has had success getting a BOT stopped?

FWIW, each ticket I write has the same basic response: 1) We've sent this info to a special team that is looking into it. 2) We will NEVER let you know what happens.

on my server a known hacker (who also purchased his account from someone else) was banned. I think it takes enough tickets to warrant priority. Just keep putting the tickets through and tell your guildmates/people you warzone with to do the same.

The worst BOTs are just macroed.

Mouse over the position where the 'join now' button pups up with perma left click over mouse driver.

Then either auto run perma click or keyboard 'move' button loop.

Easy to dedect for everyone and I had such 'BOTs' about 3 times now.

There are some better which try to heal nearest friend or attack nearest enemy.

Had one of them once who keep attacking and fighting when someone throw the Huttball to him. Other BOTs thorw the ball away imidiatly to random positions.

If you google you will find them on the first page.

Don't get me wrong he was botting for over a week before BW laid the ban hammer on him, but these things take time. I'm guessing a player needs to amass a few reports before BW will monitor the player for shady behavior.

Detecting a bot takes time. The CSR team that's responsible has to pull the logs, and compare them. Bots tend to run preset paths, to the exact coordinate. Players never ever do, there's always variance. Some bots have pretty advanced combat programming, but your can generally detect them because they use the exact same combat rotation every time, and suck in 1 v 1.

The not replying to chat part, incidentally, means nothing. Some of the more advanced bot programs insert random comments in chat, and even have responses to tells programmed. Also, some parents allowe younger children to play, but turn off any and all chat.

(I used to play Aion, a game that was completely and utterly overrun by bots during it's first months of existence, to the point that 'kill 10 mobs' quests were impossible, because the bots would kill everything the second it spawned. Learning how bots worked, detecting them and them became a bit of a sport).

Jekk"Jekk Tarr reporting in. PVP with the toons mentioned is really frustrating. They seem to be on all day and night. It's tough to win anything always being a man down. All I can say is keep reporting them. I know of one AFKr not around anymore which makes me hopeful BW will get involved. From their comments in the warzone, I can see many others frustrated as well. This inevitably leads more people to get tired of SWTOR and move on to other things.

The funniest bot I've seen was this one who ran Huttball with the same pattern every time, doing a wide circle around the map, attacking anything happened to be in range, and always at the end of the loop "parking" in his team's pit near the goal zone by running into a wall.

The bot got so well known on the server that we started abusing him by passing him the ball as he would never pass and would always move to the same location very close to the scoring zone. The other team couldn't do anything with the botter of their own team carrying the ball there and then he could just be killed to bounce the ball to a position where you could do an almost certain score.

He did disappear after a few weeks of being in warzones 24/7 (as far as I can tell), though.

believe it or not 90% of bots are credit farmers. so take away the large some of credits and you take a away afk bots.

Take away WZ credits and you might as well take away crafting too cause it's far too expensive otherwise. Unless you don't want to actually use anything you make.

Edited by Dayshadow

I'm pleased to report that I haven't seen the worst offender (Mooka) on Jekk'Jekk Tarr for the last 2 days. Whether the account was banned, or the botter just went on to a new toon is yet to be determined, but at least that particular bot doesn't seem to be running right now.

I'll reply here anytime I identify a new bots, and welcome anyone else to do the same.