Ancient Pylons Bugged in New Ways

We arrived at the pylons on Hard Mode and the top wheel for south pylon ALREADY matched. When we got to the 4th wheel neither the north or south could click at all. We tried resetting but got the same combo each time after we cleared trash.

We arrived at the pylons on Hard Mode and the top wheel for south pylon ALREADY matched. When we got to the 4th wheel neither the north or south could click at all. We tried resetting but got the same combo each time after we cleared trash.

Others have mentioned they solved this by just spinning the already solved wheel one direction, then back the opposite direction to basically "re-solve" it. The fact that both consoles were unclickable after the 3rd wheel and not just the south one makes me think you ran into the normal problem that most people have with consoles locking up on them and it not being related to the one wheel already seeming to be solved.

We found out this weekend that the consoles will lock if you solve too many phases in the same direction. You can always solve the set of four wheels going either LRLR or RLRL. Any time the solution is 3 right or 3 left, you can swap that for 3 left or 3 right, respectively. As far as I know, this is working-as-intended.

Specifically, the first time, my side's solution came out of the app I use as 3R, 3R, 2R, 2L and it locked up on us when we solved it that way. After a reset, the new solution was 2L 2R 3R 2R, but we did it 2L 2R 3L 2R and had no problems.

Edited by WELCOME-THRILLHO

We found out this weekend that the consoles will lock if you solve too many phases in the same direction. You can always solve the set of four wheels going either LRLR or RLRL. Any time the solution is 3 right or 3 left, you can swap that for 3 left or 3 right, respectively. As far as I know, this is working-as-intended.

Specifically, the first time, my side's solution came out of the app I use as 3R, 3R, 2R, 2L and it locked up on us when we solved it that way. After a reset, the new solution was 2L 2R 3R 2R, but we did it 2L 2R 3L 2R and had no problems.

We always try to do as many phases in the same direction as possible and never have issues with that. It's just easier anytime you have a wheel that requires 3 spins to turn it the same direction as the majority of the 2's or 1's that way no one has to think about which console to hit it's the same one as much as possible. You might be experiencing the issue many others are of the consoles locking up after solving the 2nd or 3rd wheel. I can verify we have solved it more than once doing 3/3/2/3 all one direction with no issues. We simply follow the rule of letting the south pylon finish every wheel first.

We always try to do as many phases in the same direction as possible and never have issues with that. It's just easier anytime you have a wheel that requires 3 spins to turn it the same direction as the majority of the 2's or 1's that way no one has to think about which console to hit it's the same one as much as possible. You might be experiencing the issue many others are of the consoles locking up after solving the 2nd or 3rd wheel. I can verify we have solved it more than once doing 3/3/2/3 all one direction with no issues. We simply follow the rule of letting the south pylon finish every wheel first.

You're right, it's entirely possible that what happened to us was just correlation, and not causation. I shouldn't have phrased it so conclusively/definitively. I think a lot of the "rules" people discuss are basically superstitions. For example, we never do the "south solves first" plan, and we routinely clear it with no issues. (FWIW, we just try to solve at nearly exactly the same time). All I know is, we had a bug last weekend, had this idea, and did it the way I described and didn't have a bug that time. But what we changed could quite possibly have had nothing to do with it working out, it may have just been luck.

Edited by WELCOME-THRILLHO

You're right, it's entirely possible that what happened to us was just correlation, and not causation. I shouldn't have phrased it so conclusively/definitively. I think a lot of the "rules" people discuss are basically superstitions. For example, we never do the "south solves first" plan, and we routinely clear it with no issues. (FWIW, we just try to solve at nearly exactly the same time). All I know is, we had a bug last weekend, had this idea, and did it the way I described and didn't have a bug that time. But what we changed could quite possibly have had nothing to do with it working out, it may have just been luck.

When we were first doing HM/NM 2 months ago we also were convinced you had to solve them at exactly the same time when it worked for us the first time we tried it. After having it not work the following week over and over we read about south first and haven't an issue since. We just have south group go as fast as they can in optimal number of turns and just have north not do their final spin for each wheel until we see the message that south pylon has completed. Pretty much every time it still goes fast enough to only have to deal with a single Acklay.

What alot of people havent noticed it seems that solving order is part of the puzzle.

if you solve the wheels each stage N first S first S first N first it almost never bugs the only time it bugs for us doing this is when somone accidentaly breaks this order.

I know people have done it the spamming method but the sucess of the solving order method seems to out weigh the chance it will bug.

This happened to us this last week on a title run so we didn't want to reset the zone.

With the top row already solved on the north pylon, we hit the right button and then the left button to turn it back and it unlocked.

(we are still using the south solves first method for all completions with no issues in months, I personally think letting one side solve before starting to channel the final button for each row on the other one is really the key)

Not true. I just did HM last night and we solved the North pylon using the right terminal for every click.

We always have success solving S first, but right about the same time. The only times we have issues is when I can't count to three and call a solve early. We just use the fastest solve direction, but I always end up going right for 3s just to keep it simple.