Most mobile commando spec?

jjschm

Yes.

And no.

Efficient dps for a commando requires you to be using cast time attacks in all branches.

Assault is more mobile than Gunnery but in PVE you don't really notice since you're all sitting there slogging away with cast time attacks.

Edited by Gyronamics

Having a blast running around like a d*mn fool in the assault tree.

You only have to stop for the occasional Full Auto or Charged Bolt and then back to running around setting crap on fire.

Visually cool spec and much more of a challenge to manage than Gunnery ever was.

The most mobile is AS build. But it sux.

It doesn't suck. There's a difference between sticking with something and "trying it out". I tried it out and thought the same. I forced myself to try it again because I kept getting focused in PvP. Assault is now amazing.

The most mobile is AS build. But it sux.

People get stuck in their head what is a "good" spec and what is a "bad" spec. Or another way to look at it is what they think is right or wrong with no factual data to back up their suppositions.

Other examples of untrue statments people believe: (and will hang on to with every fiber of their being)

Combat medics can't heal high end content

Sent DPS sux

Shadows can't tank

Commandos are gimped version of BH

Sages are gimped version of sorc (or whatever their mirror is)

Just to name a few

Until we have a real combat log ignore what people say and play what is fun for you.

Honestly there really isn't any content tough enough that a spec will keep you from completing if your gear/group doesn't suck big time.

It doesn't suck. There's a difference between sticking with something and "trying it out". I tried it out and thought the same. I forced myself to try it again because I kept getting focused in PvP. Assault is now amazing.

I agree with this. I ran Gunnery all the way to 50, but at one point, I had tried out Assault to see the difference. I did not have a good sense for how the spec worked, and I ran out of Ammo very quickly, something I almost never do with Gunnery, so I quickly switched back to Gunnery.

Recently, I was asked to switch to a hybrid healing/dps build in run we were going to do, and the Assault skills seemed a better use of the DPS points I had to spend. So I switched to that. That gave me a bit better feel for the way Assault works, so after we were done, I switched to a full Assault build to play around with it more, and I found that it was not nearly as difficult to maintain ammo as I had previously experienced once I figured out the rotations a bit better. I am still playing around with it to get better with it, but my opinion of it changed dramatically after I got a sense for how it worked, so Khalirei is absolutley correct. There is a big difference between "trying" a spec and sticking with it.

Regarding the OP's question, I think the statements that none of the Commando specs are mobility friendly are correct. For instance, Gunnery is built around using Grav Round to proc multiple buffs and debuffs, including a buff to Full Auto. Thus, you are basically using a 1.5 second cast time skill to proc a buff to be able to use a 3 second channeled skill more often, throwing in some instant cast Demo Rounds and High Impact Bolts (and the occassional Hammer Shot) between. With Assault, you are using a 1.5 second cast time Charged Bolts and a 3 second channeled Full Auto to proc a buff to an instant cast High Impact Bolt, throwing in instant cast Assault Plastiques, Incendiary Rounds, and Hammer Shots as needed. Both require frequent use of non-instant cast skills to proc buffs to get your best DPS. This kills mobility.

That said, Assault is slightly more mobile than Gunnery since, in Gunnery, you are using your 1.5 second cast time skill (Grav Round) to proc a buff to a 3 second channeled skill (Full Auto). This buff ends the cooldown on the channeled skill, so that means you are firing your channeled skill more frequently. Likewise, it is true that the 1.5 second cast time skill also buffs an instant cast skill (High Impact Bolt), but that buff is consumed on use of the instant cast skill, and it takes 5 uses of the 1.5 seconds cast time skill to maximize the buff. Thus, in Gunnery, you have to make frequent use of the 1.5 second cast time skill, and doing so means you are using the channeled skill more often, and though it also buffs an instant cast skill, it takes time to maximize that buff then more time to rebuild it.

By constrast, Assault uses its 1.5 second cast time skill (Charged Bolts) to proc a buff to an instant cast skill (High Impact Bolt). The 3 second channeled ability also has a chance to proc the buff (at a higher proc rate, actually). However, the key difference here is that, unlike Gunnery, the proc you are getting finishes the cooldown on the instant cast skill (High Impact Bolt), not the channeled one (Full Auto). That means that the channeled skill is used less frequently and the instant cast skill is used more frequently. While you still need stop frequently to use the 1.5 second and channeled skills to proc the buff, this makes Assault a little more mobile than Gunnery.

Edited by Sotaudi