Tanking fail

Monkeypuzzle

I've been a tank before as a sith jugg level 45, but I wanted a repub tank so I made a Vanguard. Since being on Taris, ive really noticed just how weak I am. Im level 18 and go on level 18 flashpoints and get torn up. In some cases I've needed 2 healers to spam heals on me just to keep me alive.

I've got all the gear I can at this level, but I feel I may as well be wearing tissue paper. Is this normal? Will i get better later on?

Edited by Monkeypuzzle

I've been a tank before as a sith jugg level 45, but I wanted a repub tank so I made a Vanguard. Since being on Taris, ive really noticed just how weak I am. Im level 18 and go on level 18 flashpoints and get torn up. In some cases I've needed 2 healers to spam heals on me just to keep me alive.

I've got all the gear I can at this level, but I feel I may as well be wearing tissue paper. Is this normal? Will i get better later on?

Yes it is normal to a point.

In my experience I didn't feel like I really came into the tank till the mid 20's when gear and upgraded blasters are available.

That being said 2 questions: What build are you running? And do you have modable gear yet?

I've found Vangaurd tank to be highly dependent on having the most up to date mods/enhance/barrels etc.. that you can. And until I hit the level to get PVP gear I never found gear on level that worked or was adequate. I bought most through the GM. And make sure you are going for Aim/Endurance as your main stats..

But at 18 you should be tougher than what you describe.

Edited by Cheeseblaster

Hmm, that sounds rather weird. Ion Cell activated? Using a shield?

never had this problem. I assume you are talking about Hammer Stn. I tanked it on vanguard from lvl 16 to 20 multiple times with no problems. always pug. There are indeed a couple tough fights in there for low levels with some pretty big spike dmg (giant robot laser), and the final boss does take some group coordination. Also done it same level range on a Jugg, didnt see any real difference. Poor group? Poor selection of traits? Poor gear ? Probably more likely.

Of course some one you comes to the forums and posts "Tanking Fail" when he is only lvl 18 really shouldnt even merit a response, except maybe some QQs or some LTPs

I am using Ion cell all the time, have tried to get all my gear (only got 2 orange pieces so far) with aim and endurance. And using a shield. Oddly, with my companion I do ok, I like the solo experience. But its embarrassing to say, Tank LFG and end up being the first one to die.

Heavy, heavy gear dependent class. Vangaurd's have no active tanking abilities like gaurds/juggs do save fore one 2 min CD shield that only reduces damage by 25%. One thing you really have to watch for in boss fights is the special attacks. Since Vangaurd's don't have active shielding abilities they rely completely on defense/shield chance/absorb. Given that some types of attacks completely ignore these stats, if these attacks aren't interrupted a Vangaurd tank will most likely bit the dust. Long and short of it, high defense, high shield and absorb, and dps that know how to interrupt.

I am using Ion cell all the time, have tried to get all my gear (only got 2 orange pieces so far) with aim and endurance. And using a shield. Oddly, with my companion I do ok, I like the solo experience. But its embarrassing to say, Tank LFG and end up being the first one to die.

hmmm. you shouldn't be having that problem to that extent. Unless like others have mentioned your groups aren't that good overall. As a tank you are supposed to be able to hold up long enough for the rest to kill the little guys then work on the big guys. You aren't meant to live forever. If the DPS isn't getting through the crowds fast enough then no matter what you do you're dead.

How do you have your skill points allocated? A remote possibility is you aren't maximizing the skills you have chosen.

Here is my current build.

After reading the replies, well, the decent ones, would it be better to go full out dps with this vanguard? Since what I've read here, its more work to tank as a vanguard.

Nothing seems out of whack on that really.

Tanking Vangaurd is not easy. There are several DPS hybrids out there that can tank at higher levels too that might interest you.

Read the sticky's by Yojack (trooper forum) and Taugrim (vanguard forum). Should give you all the info you need. And if you still have questions post them on those threads. You'll get serious responses ;)

Vanguards are the best tanks in the game. They have the best aoe control, can tank at range to avoid any heavy melee based damage (not all the time since many skills have you getting up close, but still possible to tank at range) and they can kite melee mobs, which helps you avoid huge amounts of potential damage while keeping aggro. Keybind yo stuff!

Is it worth switching to dps build until I'm nearing 30? Or should I stick at it?

I shield spec'd the whole way without problems. ( actually better survivability during leveling I found) (( I started as an assault build, and switched and never looked back ))

keep your gear up to date. (<-this...it's a troopers way of survival)

Use your healer if you have problems staying alive.

Use you DPS comp if you have good defense, they will help take down mobs a lot quicker.

Dont be afraid to switch companions out for different situations.

I used a 'fully' tank build. (31/7/3)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrdorogzZMcbZ0c.1The damage I put out isnt all that much compared to a dps toon, but with good gear I dont need to use a healer much and a DPS comp will take up the slack admirably.

.( I found that using Tanno Vik or Aric Jorgan while having 'guard' activated on them is a VERY lethal and effective combination while leveling ... you will be an arse-kicking duo )

Edited by ArtMonster

Thanks for that. Now at level 21, I'm slowly starting to feel more of a tank.

My next question is, the droid companion you get, who is a tank I believe, is he worth using since I am also a tank? I think he looks awesome.

4X is ok as a shield tank.

but if you are the type to use 'storm' or are one to do close combat, 4X may piss you off if you dont disable his harpoon...lol.

he doesnt move into battle...he pulls, and uses range.

a viable tank, but not very mobile IMO.... if stationary fighting is your bag, he's good.

I am currently re-gearing him for range DPS personally.... I never had a use for him as a tank, as I was a full shield spec. But geared as a DPS I may use him more.

Personally I use Vik, Yuun and Jorgan. ( All DPS geared to compliment my troopers full shield tank build.)

I used Dorne a lot while leveling, when I felt lazy (lol...it's so easy to stay alive with her along)..but now at endgame, I dont use her much at all...the DPS guys get it done so much better and they help take mobs down in no time.

Thanks for that. Now at level 21, I'm slowly starting to feel more of a tank.

My next question is, the droid companion you get, who is a tank I believe, is he worth using since I am also a tank? I think he looks awesome.

Good news here for you, actually.

Fit up 4X with parts that will take mods (Cybertechs make them, and they're commonly found on vendors from Coruscant onwards if you look). Prepare for double win.

What you do is take the defensive mods OUT of these and use them for your own armor. Replace them with Reflex armoring and mods and offensive enhancements/crystals. You get nice mods that are often tough to get otherwise, 4X becomes your new gun buddy. He actually makes a respectable DPS companion if you enjoy having a walking turret-o-death with you with a nice rate of fire, once you refit him appropriately.

I used 4x for a while like mid 20's. I actually did Nar Shadda before Taris which I think is backwards, but with 4x i tore through Taris like nothing. I used Aric for Nar Shadda.

However once I got high 20's I switched to Elara most of the time and if you keep her gear up to date you are basically unstoppable. That's if you have patience cause it takes a littlr longer to end a fight but your health is never below 2/3rds.

I've used Elara a lot and have been able to do Heroics and FP's solo with her.

I'm up to Lvl 46 right now, but like someone else said once you hit 50 you have to change your gameplay a little. But you've got a while to go before that.

Edited by Cheeseblaster

Dont be afraid to switch companions out for different situations.

This is one of the most underutilized tactics for tanks and in general. Can't tell you how many times I burn through a mission with a DPS companion then switch to Elara for the Champ/Boss at the end.

Sometimes I switch several times in a mission.

It costs nothing, takes a couple seconds, and makes life MUCH easier.

Great advice...

Good news here for you, actually.

Fit up 4X with parts that will take mods (Cybertechs make them, and they're commonly found on vendors from Coruscant onwards if you look). Prepare for double win.

What you do is take the defensive mods OUT of these and use them for your own armor. Replace them with Reflex armoring and mods and offensive enhancements/crystals. You get nice mods that are often tough to get otherwise, 4X becomes your new gun buddy. He actually makes a respectable DPS companion if you enjoy having a walking turret-o-death with you with a nice rate of fire, once you refit him appropriately.

Great advice, as is the others. One issue is the only commando armoring I've found to be able to make is commando armoring 14. Wheres the other 13?

Still puzzled by the lack of commando armoring pre 13.

But alas.

Another advantage of using 4X as a dps is that he can take some decent damage himself. I managed to take on an enemy with 24k health compared to my 4k. When my health got low, about 10%, I use the aggro skill on 4X so he took aggro, this left enough time for my medpack to finish cooldown and then I could take over again. Besides, if in doubt, always sacrifice your companion. If they die, you can still fight on, if you die you are both finished instantly.

Great advice, as is the others. One issue is the only commando armoring I've found to be able to make is commando armoring 14. Wheres the other 13?

Only available on modification commendation vendors or occasional quest rewards. Funky, isn't it?

You have to work-around on endurance-focused mods for Troopers early on. The trick is finding orange droid parts on the market- which will always be balanced towards +Endurance and defense stats along with a lower +Aim modifier than Reflex mods give for the same level. Strip the part for upgrades and stick them in your armor.

It was one of those reasons I picked up early on turning 4X into a gun platform. I figured if I did so well stripping his stuff, what would he do with the stuff I was supposed to use? :)