Why do I get 30fps in big battles regardless of low or high settings/

shenfrey

I mean I am using a 980x with 580sli you would expect a constant 60 fps but in war zones even when I turn down the settings completely or turn them up all the way the game just slows down to about 30-40fps and it feels incredibly sluggish. This can seriously put me off a game especially when you come from WoW which ran at 60fps and looked good (in my opinion) through out.

Anyway to fix this guys? Thanks!

It is the Hero Engine, well whats left of it. Bioware basically built it off a half finished engine and it is poorly optimized

Exactly what qualifies you to make such exacting statements about the hero engine? You're a designer? A coder? You worked on building it?

Assuming you did design the engine and I'm gonna go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt here. Let's just go ahead and say you and only you designed, developed, and constructed the Hero engine.

Did you then code SWTOR? Were you so deep in the coding that you have this personal knowledge of their code not being optimized or the engine being "half built?"

A whole lot of armchair developers on these forums. Would be nice if even one of them knew what the heck they were talking about.

OP. I run this game on a media box I built 2 years ago. XP, 2 gigs of ram, and a gt240. My fps stays between 25 and 40. This is more than I could have hoped for. Is it great, nope, but it's playable.

With this in mind, I'd suggest a complete investigation of anything that could be causing this on your end first. Your machine is much better than mine so theoretically it should run better unless there is something running in the background or a virus or some other, possibly hardware related issue that you aren't aware of.

If your biggest complaint is, "it drops to 30 fps sometimes," that really isn't that bad considering the vast majority of people can't see any degradation of frame rates until they drop below 30 fps.

I mean I am using a 980x with 580sli you would expect a constant 60 fps but in war zones even when I turn down the settings completely or turn them up all the way the game just slows down to about 30-40fps and it feels incredibly sluggish. This can seriously put me off a game especially when you come from WoW which ran at 60fps and looked good (in my opinion) through out.

Anyway to fix this guys? Thanks!

In war zones you are limited not by the power of you SLI dual 580 but by your CPU. Hense why your frame rate does not change when you increase or decrease your graphics settings.

The program is CPU bound in situations involving many players.

Many people have speculated on why this is, I will refrain from doing so here.

Exactly what qualifies you to make such exacting statements about the hero engine? You're a designer? A coder? You worked on building it?

Assuming you did design the engine and I'm gonna go ahead and give you the benefit of the doubt here. Let's just go ahead and say you and only you designed, developed, and constructed the Hero engine.

Did you then code SWTOR? Were you so deep in the coding that you have this personal knowledge of their code not being optimized or the engine being "half built?"

A whole lot of armchair developers on these forums. Would be nice if even one of them knew what the heck they were talking about.

OP. I run this game on a media box I built 2 years ago. XP, 2 gigs of ram, and a gt240. My fps stays between 25 and 40. This is more than I could have hoped for. Is it great, nope, but it's playable.

With this in mind, I'd suggest a complete investigation of anything that could be causing this on your end first. Your machine is much better than mine so theoretically it should run better unless there is something running in the background or a virus or some other, possibly hardware related issue that you aren't aware of.

If your biggest complaint is, "it drops to 30 fps sometimes," that really isn't that bad considering the vast majority of people can't see any degradation of frame rates until they drop below 30 fps.

Ok I know you problably mean well but after 6 different topics hit the max page count I think more ppl should really be aware of this issue.

Alot of work was put in by players trying to help each other out. They ran down every possible bottleneck, checked all different options etc. They REALLY worked to sort it out.

It IS the game engine, they ruled everything else out. Check it out yourself if you doubt me and if you can think of ANY options or possibilities they missed let us all know (not sarcastic, we could use any new ideas).

So I suggest looking into what ppl are saying in more detail next time, the remark was not flipant it was a researched one.

I kind of agree with this.

People expecting 60 plus FPS every second might as well give it up.

However, I am glad I played this game before upgrading my PC as it would have been a waste of time. When I upgrade a PC, it will be for a game that I can get the most out of using a great system.

Can anyone tell me why my 6 core 4ghz doesnt go past 30-40% usage during a bg then ?

Tried multiple comps, no where near max % usage

And if its many people, in zones i come across 12+ players in the same spot using abilities with no drop in fps

but would srs like an explanation on why..

Count your blessings. I've gotten used to playing with 7FPS as the norm, 10FPS being good graphics, and 3FPS being framerate hell. 30FPS? We should all be so lucky!

When I get a better computer, I'm going to have to entirely relearn the timing of this game.

Sheesh. Got a relative that works for Bioware?

Try this:

- Go into a small area (like a hallway) without any mobs or NPCs.

- Make your toon sprint forward.

- While running, open and close your inventory rapidly.

See how your FPS yo-yos by as much as 50%? That kind of bad smell is coming from the game, not us.

it is the hero engine same thing happens to my amd radddon 6990

Its the version of the hero engine they are using. They are NOT using the one that is currently on the market right now. They went with basically a half finished "beta" version of the hero engine.

The hero engine now ( not in this game ) is alot better then what it was. Basically they made this game on a beta version of a game engine...