Why make it so hard to look good?

Nexdine

If you were going to make sure that no player can achieve the look they want, but are left with whatever look is available, then you should never have hired Blur to make the trailers and cinematics. Stuff that chock-full of awesome (like everything Blur does) jacks up player's expectations that they too can look like someone cool and appropriately styled, and then they end up with white skirts, white pope-hats and banana-arms... and even at LEVEL 50 you see people who wear unmatched colors of the same set unless they work like dogs to hunt down the same pieces of the same set.

Looking at the people playing around me on the planets as I level, I'm struck by how seldom you actually see someone with a thought-through and clean look. Meanwhile, troopers with the same armor pieces but in yellow-green-red-orange in an unholy mix are dime a dozen - and those are the good ones, the bad ones wear parts heavy-armor looking and parts cloth-looking in the aforementioned mix of colors and look like clowns.

This is especially weird because troopers are probably the best looking class in the game generally if you consider appropriate look for the role and the ease of maintaining it especially - selecting armormech and crafting your own stuff as you go and you can wear the iconic white Star Wars armor from 1-50. You don't get any real choices on color, you go from white-grey to white-black to white-more-black but at least it looks good.

But just wanting to craft for a Smuggler (like I currently play) with armormech you're even more out of luck. Yes, you can craft a very nice looking set of armor at 30-something that's green with a cape... but why in the name of everything holy are you limited to nothing but the green? I've been hunting high and low for schematics and have found a few pieces but if I want a matched set that looks good, I get to choose between green with a cape and green with a cape - and again that is WITH armormech.

Then there are the headpieces, who have one major issue for armorcrafters.... there aren't any.

After haunting GTN and even running an alt who does nothing but stand around and slice I've found precious few headpiece schematics, and those I've found are so ugly only a confirmed masochist or closet clown wannabe would strap them on their noggin. Where are the cool slouch/cowboy style hats in a range of colors ranging from white to black and everything in between?

Star Wars - especially classic and real Star Wars, not the relative dreck that came out in the prequels - has a very distinct look about it. I don't get why the creators of this game didn't first create and make it easy to maintain iconic looks - Jedi in a simple modest robe of the color of their choosing, smuggler in a shirt/vest/pants with big silver gun(s), Trooper in white armor with accents of their choosing etc, and THEN focused on making white pope hats, white ball gowns and banana arm guards if they felt it necessary and thought there was a market.

I know, this is thread number five bazillion of people complaining about clothes, but I'm not even all that much complaining about the sheer laughability of the lvl 50 stuff... I'm just wondering why 99.5% of the people running around have very little recourse from wearing a mismatched set of disparate parts? It makes no sense at all.

Really depends on the class. Both inquisitor and warrior have some pretty good looking gear and if you stick to the mandalorian stuff the bounty hunter can look good. But in general I agree with you most armor, especially the republics stuff, looks terrible.

Match to chest is fine, but when all you have is one schematic for one set in green, that still leaves you with the choice of green or possibly green. Maybe, in a stretch - green. ;)

Yeah I have hopes that the 1.2 upgrade will improve things from the current "oh God, take me now" to something that's passable, but I'm still baffled as to why it has to be this bad from the start to begin with? People want Star Wars to be epic and cool. How can you be epic and cool without elegant and attractive gear? Strutting around in some of the weirder stuff in this game brings many things to mind but it's not cool, clean, elegant or epic. Ah well.

Really depends on the class. Both inquisitor and warrior have some pretty good looking gear and if you stick to the mandalorian stuff the bounty hunter can look good. But in general I agree with you most armor, especially the republics stuff, looks terrible.

Try looking for something cool for a Republic character. Zip, zilch, nada, IMO. All the really cool looking stuff is Empire side or the occasional green stuff that you can only wear for a few levels, then it's back to ugly again.

And if you try to get something cool looking to the Republic side via the Hutt Cartel, it changes appearance as soon as a Republic character puts it on and becomes UGLY!

Edited by VarnieTsk

I did find some cool looking outfits for my Gunslinger when I was around lvl 15-20 but sadly:

- most of it was green gear

- one orange piece that is lvl capped so most prolly in 1.2 I won't be able to use better mods in it

- if I remember correctly we will be able to pull mods from up to tier 2 armors so I will have to suffer in ugly Battlemaster stuff through eternity coz newest (1.2) Smuggler outfit is really terrible looking.

If only there were "looking" slots in which we could put any armor piece to get it looks but save stats from original armor. Warhammer had it and it was really nice.

I did find some cool looking outfits for my Gunslinger when I was around lvl 15-20 but sadly:

- most of it was green gear

- one orange piece that is lvl capped so most prolly in 1.2 I won't be able to use better mods in it

- if I remember correctly we will be able to pull mods from up to tier 2 armors so I will have to suffer in ugly Battlemaster stuff through eternity coz newest (1.2) Smuggler outfit is really terrible looking.

If only there were "looking" slots in which we could put any armor piece to get it looks but save stats from original armor. Warhammer had it and it was really nice.

Level capped? What?!? Some orange gear is level capped? **where's my blood pressure meds?!?**

I really hope I'm misunderstanding and this isn't what it sounds like. It's hard enough now trying to look half way decent without the prospect of possibly losing some of the orange gear I'm actually able to live with.

My post was more about how bad all the gear looks and even more about how few choices there really are for any given class.

Things are far from rosy on the Imperial side too, some of the Sith Inquisitor gear is lifted straight from Coneheads the movie, and others from the scandinavian Pippi Longstocking stories. It's preposterously bad.

But my original post here is more to wonder about why such simple things as making things in a range of colors wasn't implemented? It takes 15 seconds per piece to recolor it and save, but there's still just one color right now for the crafters.

Ah well, maybe 1.2 will make all things right and rosy! ;)

Somewhere around 30 my Agent had the best looking outfit that I had collected throughout the game, but in a few levels I was forced to sacrafice those pieces for stat purposes.

If there was ever a game that needed Wardrobe and/or Dye functionality, this one is it.

The match color to chest feature is a small (very small) step in the right direction, but really if you're im your choices are basically red, black or purple (reps have beige, grey or brown). When you get to 50 you are essentially wearing the same thing as anyone else in your class being able to match color to chest is a moot point at best. But if we could collect the armor we liked to be visible and to color it to taste, that would go along way to creating a more interesting game experiences.

Although bringing up game mechanics from other games is frowned upon by the forum police, I think Rift got their armor system right and Bioware would do itself a favor to 'borrow' their ideas.

Yeah the ability to find something orange and then retrofit that with the stats from the end-game gear in 1.2 is going to be a massive relief. It should at least alleviate the problem of an army of exactly similar looking people in the same class and give people choices on how to look.

It's not nearly enough, especially from a crafter's point of view, but it's a start.