Is smuggler viable to play without using the cover mechanism ?

ClogMan

I got a simple question.

Since im not very fond of the cover mechanism, but still like the smuggler class, will it be viable to play either advanced class without using the cover mechanism/skills, but solely non-cover skills?

Or would it cripple the performance of the class and i should pick another clas ?

At this point you can't get entirely away from the cover mech, since there are some skills that only operate while in cover. But there are skill trees in the advanced classes that reduce the reliance on it.

Overall, the Scoundrel ac is less cover reliant than Gunslinger. Scoundrels can be primarily healers, or dps that depends on skills that put you behind the mob you're blasting. The shared Dirty Fighting skill tree in both ACs has the most "run and gun" skills. On the 'slinger side, the Saboteur skill tree is less cover dependent than the Sharpshooter tree.

Best idea is to read the basic guides at the top of each AC forum, and see which one better fits your playstyle.

depends on your spec and the choice of AC.

Scoundrel rarely uses cover, same with DF Gunslinger. If you pick SS GS spec you will need to use cover because:

- you run out of energy almost instantly

- you will not be able to use 95% of your hard hitting skills

- will have close to none defensive skills and CC

Cover can be a pain but if you play bit more you won't even notice using it. For me it is just the extra key to press for my rotation. Even with usign cover you can be very mobile, after all all classes have to stop for a bit to use their cast-timed and channeled abilities, right?

As a Sawbones I basically never use cover. Occasionally I flirt with it, taking a knee for a sticky bomb or that blaster move, but most of the time, I don't need it, and the reasons to be mobile (getting in position for the next Backblast, moving out of the fire) heavily outweigh the need for cover, as I'm generally not getting shot at much. Speaking from a purely PvE perspective.

As a Sawbones I basically never use cover. Occasionally I flirt with it, taking a knee for a sticky bomb or that blaster move, but most of the time, I don't need it, and the reasons to be mobile (getting in position for the next Backblast, moving out of the fire) heavily outweigh the need for cover, as I'm generally not getting shot at much. Speaking from a purely PvE perspective.

As a Sawbones I have to ask: What is this cover you are talking about? ;)

In PvP I never use it.

In PvE I use it when bored. If the fight is tough I have no tme to mess around with cover, I have to do my scoundrel stuff. To use cover means I am doing random stuff :)

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

I was thinking of a DPS scoundrel actually, so i might go ahead in that direction based on your input as well.

Just remember, Scoundrel is up close and personal. Your max range will be around 10 meters but you'll be hovering around the 4m distance.

That can be a nasty surprise for people who think they'll be ranged.