The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

My view so far - classes (advice please)

rizzzzzo

Currently have a lvl 50 assassin with a decent chunk of playtime sunk in. But im new to the other classes ive been dabbling with so I believe this comes under new user section. - please move if need be

what I seem to be finding is that there's some "dead" classes. in terms of red herrings. for example you roll a agent - sniper = damage / operative = damage & heal i believe. now from what I can see the sniper DPS isnt that much over a operative at all from what ive seen especially in PVP making sniper pointless? as you can't heal anyways as a fallback / bonus?

also is the case for sith marauder. I find most of these struggle DPS wise compared to other DPS classes and marauder is a DPS only class?

I've been looking up info and trying to figure out the reasoning/logic behind offering the linear builds alongside those with dual specializations for example - assassin = tank/dps. sorc = dps/heal... when you get to these single role ones especially the ones stated above they seem a bit.... pointless? to roll

any information on this / your opinions would be appreciated. hoepfully this will help more than just myself decide on my next 50 to roll, as id hate to have say a lvl 50 sniper and feel its time wasted.

Thanks once again

rizla

Edited by rizzzzzo

Bit of both, I tend to think it's a waste lvling all the way up to restrict yourself in the late game.

for example i like my assassin, good dps for pvp and pve. and can tank when i feel like a respec. just switch gear over etc.

but thats my main aim i dont want to restrict myself. as I enjoy both :)

the first time i played this game i rolled a jedi sentinel because i wanted to wield dual lightsabers but i found that my dps wasn't that great... i figured out i could make it better by learning more about how to spec him properly and one of the biggest things is being able to customize my gear with the best mods. Being my first character i don't know exactly how i messed up but by the end of the game i couldn't beat the boss and i was too broke to do anything about my current mods and such. I believe certain classes may be better as an alternate to your mains so that you may send that character some of your mains money using the mail system... or even save some of the gear you find for your other toons. I've played jedi guardian and jedi sentinel. between these two jedi knight advanced classes i definitely saw the difference between them being one could tank and the other had far better dps. I couldn't advance the sentinel that far before i felt my dps wasn't keeping up to the level of the mobs. My guardian made it to the end but struggled because i didn't gear up the right companion.

I now play a sith sorcerer on a new server and i must say it is a totally different experience all together. dps spec'd and feeling like a beast. i can honestly say my sentinel never felt this powerful. that being said... that doesn't mean i haven't just been utterly chopped down in warzones by sentinel's....

As for wasting time with a character... i'm sorry i couldn't be of more help but i think they all have their things about them. i figure you try some out and when you find one where you really like the fighting mechanics of the class... stick it out with that one and try to make it the best you can make it and see how it compares to what other people have been doing. I personally have not seen anyone spec their dps sorcerer like i have and personally i find that pretty interesting! :) most important of it all... have fun!

Thanks again for your timely reply's.

I'll put out progressing my alts for now I think is the best option, until i see the end of the nerfing/balance play which randomly keeps cropping up on patches

Edited by rizzzzzo

Thanks again for your timely reply's.

I'll put out progressing my alts for now I think is the best option, until i see the end of the nerfing which randomly keeps cropping up lol.

End of nerfing? It's an mmo, so never. :p

What you're talking about is wanting a hybrid tax, and the devs haven't shown an indication to want that. Yes, DPS specced Mercs/Commandos, Ops/Scoundrels and Sorcs/Sages can heal, but it's not anything to be jealous of (though as an Op Healer, I am jealous of Static Barrier).

Also, FWIW, Sniper DPS is in a great place in PvE and can absolutely wreck in PvP, as well (too many snipers charge in during warzones instead of playing like a turret class should). I'd rather have a Sniper in my group for a flashpoint than a DPS operative.

As for the reasoning, the devs said early on they wanted to offer DPS-only ACs to appeal to people who want to have three DPS specs to choose from and don't want to have a spec available to heal or tank. And yes, there are plenty of those players out there.

In PVE there are not a lot of "dead" classes, although there are a few "dead" roles. Sages are without question the best healers, and being a smuggler healer is not setting yourself up for a great time. Some people do very well, but in the general, it's a dead role.

DPS guardian is a very weak choice as well. Ranged DPS is way more powerful then melee DPS and your survivability in this setup is laughable. Again, it's not that they are unplayable or even a BAD dps class, just that they are the WORST dps class (overall)

Shadow tank is also hit or miss PVE. Once you get gear, you're golden, but fresh 50 with greens people are going to pass on you for groups (if they know what's good for them)

PVP, don't listen to the QQ. Almost every class is a viable option for killing and having a good time. There are NO dead PVP classes, although the problem is this;

If you want the best DPS (raw numbers), sage

If you want the best healing (raw numbers), sage

If you want the most utility, sage

If you want the most survivability, sage or shadow

So as you can see ... there is no WRONG choice in PVP, but there sure as hell is a RIGHT choice.

Marauders and Snipers (and their mirrors) put out some of, if not THE, highest DPS in the game. The issue, however, is that they are not faceroll classes. Marauders/Sentinels are difficult to play and even harder to master, especially for some newer players. Snipers/Gunslingers are not an "in your face" class and require some tactical thought to play to their fullest.

So bad, or less good, players try these classes and don't know how to make them work. They then complain and go to a somewhat easier class, have more success, and assume it must be the class and not them. These pure DPS classes are not for everyone and not easy or simple to play. When reading reviews, try to determine if the problem is the class or the player.