Melee dps choice? sentinel vs shadow.

Durcbjorn

I have two level 50's (powertech and commando), and now I'd like to dabble in lightsaber type melee dps.

I think I've narrowed it down to sentinel and shadow DPS, but I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

I've created both, but it's hard to tell from low level abilities.

Can anyone give their two cents on which you think would be more fun and/or how their playstyle/skills differ?

It depends on how you want to play melee...

Do you want to wade into the action or be more subtle about it. Shadow is fun for me as balance because I'm not overly dependent on stealth and I do the majority of my damage without having to swing my saber around too much.

Watchman Sentinels do more dmg than the Shadows dps specs.

And at the same time is as hard to kill as a tank specced shadow.

If you like stealth, PvE tanking and carrying hutballs and can't live without your BH's grapple ability, then play a shadow.

otherwise, pick a Sentinel....

Sentinels are countered by Snipers/Gunslingers, and they are quite rare....I think because they are the most stationary caster in this game compared to mercs and sages...

(I have a BM geared shadow, and Centurion geared Sentinel atm.)

im in the same boat, looking to move away from the consular and get into knight..

I also am looking to dps however im reading through the guardian pages and there is pictures of consistent 600k damage, is the senital capable of this kind of destruction ??

im in the same boat, looking to move away from the consular and get into knight..

I also am looking to dps however im reading through the guardian pages and there is pictures of consistent 600k damage, is the senital capable of this kind of destruction ??

A Sent is built around sustained DPS and powerful defensive cooldowns. A Infiltration Shadow will put out more burst, but a Watchmen Sent will put out more overall damage on the WZ scoreboard (if you care about that). Both classes are powerful 1v1 but a Sent/Kinetic Shadow will provide more durability if your one to jump into the fray and have at it. It is possible to put a 600k number in a stalemate Voidstar WZ, but that is not something that is realistic.

Basically it comes down to what your play style is. The Shadow is much more flexible in what roles it can fill. It can be a tank (Kinetic), burst dps (Infiltration), or pressure(Balance). A Sent can be a force heavy burst (Focus Spec), or med-high pressure with Watchmen Spec. Also, only the Kinetic Shadow spec is as durable as ANY Sent spec. The rest of the shadow specs being more squishy.

Hmm, one thing is my main is the powertech (tank/dps).

While there are some obvious differences between that and a shadow, there are some similarities in that both have tanking/dps roles, and both are a mix of melee and mid range abilities. Both have grapple/force pull too.

I think sentinel would give me a much different playstyle experience. I really liked the jumping around they can do lol. Like leap frogger.

Besides the stealth, I worry the shadow experience would be all too similar to my powertechs in many ways.

Besides, I'm going pure evil, and sentinels get a sith tank as a companion later on right? /drool

Companion-wise Jedi knights are better overall in every way.

Jedi dps companion comes at mid teens for JK, mid 40s for Consular. Both have nice voice acting, but Kira has a better backstory imho.

T7 droid is much more bearable than the gurgling russian in the cheap godzilla outfit. Harder to gear up a droid? Maybe, I never used him much since you get Kira so fast. There are no moddable Techblades in the game, so good luck finding a decent weapon for liz-boy unless you're an armstech, and let's be honest, that is simply a crap profession for a jedi.

Healer companion. Consulars get Tharan Zedrax, Metrosexual womanizer, and a selfproclaimed genious. Only redeeming factor is that he has holliday, who can be amusing at times.

Doc is like Han Solo of this game, medic style. I think he's a great comical relief character.

Ranged dps companion. Both are equally useless playstyle-wise. Both have interesting personalities. "Enemy fatality: 100%" is something that never left my mind since I heard it a few weeks ago.

Next batch of tanks. Consulars get a trooper with so normal personality and appearance, I thought one of the quest givers of the planet had snuck aboard my ship. And you will never use the lizard again. Throw a small celebration party when you get him, just for that sake.

JK tank is just never needed, as in this late part of the game you will be running with a healer constantly. I never used him so I can't give much feedback on this guy.

Story-wise is probably a matter of taste:

JK: You act as the SWAT team of the Republic going around saving the galaxy. Very satisfying ending.

JC: Jedi council says: I think there's some darkness over on that planet, why don't you go check it out...then just ends suddenly like any planet quest on Corelia. Doesn't really feel like you can really end what is happening compared to how the JK story ends.

I played JC first and I thought "That wasn't so bad as everybody has been saying."

Then I played the JK story. "Huh, that was just alot better."

Edited by FluxWing