Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

It's called the BioWare twist!

Tricky-Ha

What's a BioWare twist? It's when you ask BioWare to do some feature that is in another current modern MMO & then they tell you they will put something similar to what you asking for in this game later, but only when it's been Bioware'd.

How does another feature from another MMO get the BioWare twist?

-You ask Bioware to let you have last names. Bioware says no. Then months later they say yes, but this is how you get last names the BioWare way. Legacy, blah, blah, blah.

-You ask BioWare for some appearance customization, maybe even an appearance tab. BioWare tells you that they love appearance customization, it's very important to them, but no on appearance tabs because they have something better. The game launches with no appearance customization, instead there is this system for stat customization, that offers no way at all to change the "looks" of your gear or the color or your gear.

-You ask BioWare for Open World PvP, they give you all Ilum. :p You get the idea.

Ever get the feeling you're in a bad M. Night movie, dreading patch 1.2 cause there has to be a BioWare twist?

As a role player, alot of these upcoming Legacy features SHOULD BE, standard role player content. Treated the same as standard PvE or PvP player content, you've got Operations. Role players should have last names, emotes & such without having to do any extra grinding beyond normal gameplay just to access these features.

Sometimes the twist is awesome!

Story & full voice over in questing is an amazing BioWare twist. Too bad it's lost on mouth-breathing no lifes that spacebar thru it, but there's not much BioWare could ever do to stop them from skipping the story.

I lol'd

Ever get the feeling you're in a bad M. Night movie, dreading patch 1.2 cause there has to be a BioWare twist?

It's why I unsubbed. Different is almost never better when the best way to do things was already established long ago. It's like throwing square tires on a bus and claiming you've made improvements. You've changed things up, certainly, but hardly for the best.

I'm extremely happy for the changes coming in 1.2, but I also agree that having to earn things that would be considered standard/required for roleplayers is a bit off-putting.

I must of missed this part of the presentation but what are these role playing features that are going to take months of grinding to unlock ?

What's a BioWare twist? It's when you ask BioWare to do some feature that is in another current modern MMO & then they tell you they will put something similar to what you asking for in this game later, but only when it's been Bioware'd.

How does another feature from another MMO get the BioWare twist?

-You ask Bioware to let you have last names. Bioware says no. Then months later they say yes, but this is how you get last names the BioWare way. Legacy, blah, blah, blah.

Why should they just simply copy something from another MMO that has already been done? That makes no sense at all and would show me that they don't have the talent to come up with new and inovative ideas for new content

-You ask BioWare for some appearance customization, maybe even an appearance tab. BioWare tells you that they love appearance customization, it's very important to them, but no on appearance tabs because they have something better. The game launches with no appearance customization, instead there is this system for stat customization, that offers no way at all to change the "looks" of your gear or the color or your gear.

They did say however that the appearance tab IS BACK IN FOR THE 1.2 update

-You ask BioWare for Open World PvP, they give you all Ilum. :p You get the idea.

Again why just do a carbon copy from WoW, make something new something different, and also WoW had ZERO warzones/battlegrounds at launch, I was there

As a role player, alot of these upcoming Legacy features SHOULD BE, standard role player content. Treated the same as standard PvE or PvP player content, you've got Operations. Role players should have last names, emotes & such without having to do any extra grinding beyond normal gameplay just to access these features.

More then anything else I was stoked from how passionate the dev's are about SWTOR and I think they will continue to do a great job in the same style you see now, which means stuff like brand new story options for almost ALL new content so having said that it might take a little longer to implement some things because they have to send it to the writes, record the voice acting, etc, etc.

Hey folks,

We do have a couple of threads already discussing these topics here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=342940 - Legacy

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=342942 - Roleplaying

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=343400 - Legacy Race Unlocks

Please feel free to use any of the threads above to re-post thoughts and continue discussion, as we'll be closing this thread to keep things just a bit more consolidated. Thanks for your understanding!