Why the divide on defensive abilities from PVE yo PVP?

silentsurfer

Defense, Shield (for some), and absorb are stats currently available on all armor types (light, med, heavy). These stats serve a purpose for all classes in PVE, granted some more than others. But what is the logic of having these stats be completely worthless in PVP? Why is it that lightning can't be dodged, or absorbed? Why are force abilities not able to be mitigated by the same means as other types of damage? When you think about it, the force shield is basically a casted version of this but it protects against all types of damage. If the defensive shield doesn't protect against force damage, shouldn't the force shield not protect against non-force damage?

No idea.

But if you're a guardian/juggernaut, switch to your dps spec for pvp. Then switch back to tank spec for pve. It's not that hard to play both specs at the same time. And really, it isn't that expensive.

We shouldn't have to do workarounds instead of Bioware fixing this crap. Tank shields SHOULD be usable in PVP.

We shouldn't have to do workarounds instead of Bioware fixing this crap. Tank shields SHOULD be usable in PVP.

What BW can do is give tanks somemore team buffs cooldowns (such as temporarily increasing armor for the allies around you) rather than making them more tanky.

Having huge HP and survivability tools but can't DPS is still very much useless by my book. Because the enemy can choose not to attack you when they know your DPS is not much of a threat to them.

What BW can do is give tanks somemore team buffs cooldowns (such as temporarily increasing armor for the allies around you) rather than making them more tanky.

I think this is the way for tanks to go, but it needs to be done carefully. I think tanks already have a fair amount of tools for mitigating damage in PvP with taunts and guard. I'd like to see them get more abilities that amplify damage done by others.

Tank specs are very much usable in PvP. Heck, hybdrid tank specs are very popular for Shadows and Vanguards It's just the tanking stats that aren't worth a damn.

Edited by Soshla

Why is it that lightning can't be dodged

From a physics standpoint

The electrons that create lightning travel at near the speed of light, It also travels the path of least resistance to a ground. If your body is the in this category it will change its path to hit you. Even if you could move fast enough to dodge it without the molecules in your body ripping apart instantly from the inertia. You would still not be able to dodge it.

Thats why lightning cannot be dodged

But that same logical stand point. Its also easy to redirect the current to a safe route to ground (a faraday cage comes to mind) negating the its effectiveness completely.

But then again this is starwar's real world physics dont apply :p

Defense, Shield (for some), and absorb are stats currently available on all armor types (light, med, heavy). These stats serve a purpose for all classes in PVE, granted some more than others. But what is the logic of having these stats be completely worthless in PVP? Why is it that lightning can't be dodged, or absorbed? Why are force abilities not able to be mitigated by the same means as other types of damage? When you think about it, the force shield is basically a casted version of this but it protects against all types of damage. If the defensive shield doesn't protect against force damage, shouldn't the force shield not protect against non-force damage?

You're idea isnt very good. Or I guess your equality thing. For a few reasons. There are already classes that are built to kill sages and sorcs even with thier bubble. So without it, they would just be the squishiest class in the game with all thier predator classes able to **** on them at will.

But on the other hand I also play a vanguard, and was defense spec for some time before playing the class how you should, properly for pvp in its current state. Ion cell with assualt spec.

Id say im about 90% as sturdy as I was in full defense and defense gear as I am now in full battlemaster DPS gear yet I can pop cooldowns and burst someone for 8k-9k in 2 globals. (with crits)

The only real way to fix this is to fix tank stats in pvp. But this also poses risk of further ruining pvp. If you just make it so they can shield/absorb/dodge all damage types at high rates, they will be godmode classes. Some of these tanks are already crazy sturdy.

This also changes tactics for winning in huttball, alderaan, voidstar, etc. You can just sit one of these now nearly unkillable guys on a node and it would take 4 people to kill him fast enough to be able to cap it. Let alone if he had help.

I honestly dont envy being the people who have to fix this system. It doesnt really have a golden path to insta-fix.

I think tanks already have a fair amount of tools for mitigating damage in PvP with taunts and guard.

These abilities don't mitigate game, guard splits damage totally ignoring all defensive stats which actually means more damage, and taunts only lower damage done by the tauntee.

From a physics standpoint

The electrons that create lightning travel at near the speed of light, It also travels the path of least resistance to a ground. If your body is the in this category it will change its path to hit you. Even if you could move fast enough to dodge it without the molecules in your body ripping apart instantly from the inertia. You would still not be able to dodge it.

Thats why lightning cannot be dodged

But that same logical stand point. Its also easy to redirect the current to a safe route to ground (a faraday cage comes to mind) negating the its effectiveness completely.

But then again this is starwar's real world physics dont apply :p

Yes this really makes no sense to me as to why the Republic wouldn't all wear rubber shoes.

Ion cell with assualt spec.

Your right, this is the best path for Vangaurds, but, here is the problem. Vangaurds and Commandos under the current system have the SAME damage mitigation in PVP except for Ion Cell. There should be more of a divide in mitigation for a tank than that.

Cough, like Sages, cough, or Sorcs you mean?

Sorcs literally go *POOF* when focused. No really, you even see a little bit of smoke rise after they are disintegrated by people who don't suck.

No idea what you're talking about, but troll on I guess.

Sorcs literally go *POOF* when focused. No really, you even see a little bit of smoke rise after they are disintegrated by people who don't suck.

No idea what you're talking about, but troll on I guess.

I have no idea why people don't come to terms with the fact that certain classes are just to imbalanced. If the truth was told more often perhaps the forums would have swayed BW more and the warzones wouldn't be ghost towns or constant games of faction vs faction huttball. Let's face it, the que times are down and the classes inside warzones aren't the mix we had at launch. What do you think is the basis for that?