Why do the Jedi serve the Republic?

BrandonSM

Yes, Darth Sidious was one of the most powerfull force users for all time but he wasn't the best. I think for example Yoda was better force user because it's a lot easier to create powerfull lightings with your rage than to stop them. In their force duel Yoda lost not with Palpatine's lightings but with the laws of physics because both of the were thrown away but Yoda was smaller and lighter and he has fall down. He didn't continue fight because in that moment he realised what I have write above - that the Jedi has already lost and death of Emperor won't change anything.

The Revenge of the Sith novel shows Yoda realising he could never defeat Sidious, for so many reasons that I would be here for ten minutes writing down, simply put, Yoda was not more powerful than Sidious, not by a long shot, only Grand Master Luke was.

The galaxy is big, it needs a central Government. Leaving each system to its own devices would result in (a) thousands of little territorial/internecine wars that would severely gimp progress, and (b) allow the large pirate groups to take control of massive swathes of territory.

So the need for a "Galactic Republic"-style government is a valid one, as it provides a basic level of law, order and rights for the populace.

The Jedi Council can see this need, and they also know that while they probably could provide it (replacing the Republic), it would stretch them very thin due to the relatively small number of Jedi.

On that basis, the Galactic Republic in its current form is probably the best option the Jedi have. Certainly, the Republic need the Jedi more than the Jedi need the Republic, but the relationship is a symbiotic one, where both parties benefit from having the other healthy and stable.

The Revenge of the Sith novel shows Yoda realising he could never defeat Sidious, for so many reasons that I would be here for ten minutes writing down, simply put, Yoda was not more powerful than Sidious, not by a long shot, only Grand Master Luke was.

If you were reading the novel you should know that Sidious was exhausted after duel so he doesn't have unlimited power and Yoda know that he lost this fight before it has started - just like I write above. He says that Sith have changed and can't be defeated by lightsaber not that Emperor was too powerfull for him (or maybe my book has some page missing;p)

About Luke - he wasn't Grand Master, he wasn't more powerfull than Emperor, Vader or Yoda. He can't stop lightings on his was own, Vader saves him. In duel with his father his uses his rage to cut Vader's hand but it wasn't because he was more powerfull than him, in that duel Vader don't fight with Luke, he fights with himself - the conflict Luke was talking about. The Luke's only strenght was that he resisted the dark side - something his father can't. Luke was the most powetfull living force user but after death of Palpatine and Vader when he start New Jedi Order.

Jedi are like the Peace Corp they go and do helpful things for the galaxy. They also aren’t afraid to get into a fight if needed. notice in Ep 1 that the Jedi go to the trade federation as envoys not warriors they only start fighting after they are attacked. They fight when others can’t fight by Ep 3 they have joined the war in hopes that the Jedi can keep peace and control the situation and they fear that someone corrupt could take total control and change the galaxy (they failed since the guy in charge of the government was corrupt)

The emperor is based on Hitler and the Third Reich. The conflict in Ep 4-6 is based on the American Revolution and countries fighting Communism. This is known as Science fiction the idea of taking settings and other normal story ideas and putting them into a very different setting. (prime example is “Watership Down”. the book is about pioneers………but the characters are rabbits and act like rabbits no technology or anything I would suggest everyone read it since it is good and is a good show of how the genere works)

Edited by Egobia

If you were reading the novel you should know that Sidious was exhausted after duel so he doesn't have unlimited power and Yoda know that he lost this fight before it has started - just like I write above. He says that Sith have changed and can't be defeated by lightsaber not that Emperor was too powerfull for him (or maybe my book has some page missing;p)

About Luke - he wasn't Grand Master, he wasn't more powerfull than Emperor, Vader or Yoda. He can't stop lightings on his was own, Vader saves him. In duel with his father his uses his rage to cut Vader's hand but it wasn't because he was more powerfull than him, in that duel Vader don't fight with Luke, he fights with himself - the conflict Luke was talking about. The Luke's only strenght was that he resisted the dark side - something his father can't. Luke was the most powetfull living force user but after death of Palpatine and Vader when he start New Jedi Order.

... No he wasn't. If you read the novel, Sidious was waiting for Yoda to drop. He could feel Yoda weakening and struggling to bend the lightning.