Best Jedi-Knight Companion...?

xalexinchainsx

So I just received the Emperors wrath (forgot his real name) last night, which brings my companion # to 6. This leaves me with the question of who to bring a long with me for the remainder of the quests to 50. So, my question is, who is the best DPS companion to bring a long with you for the majority of quests? im assuming its between Kira and the Sith companion, though the soldier may do a lot as well.

Figured I would make the thread here as the jedi-knight forum doesnt get too much traffic.

So I just finished Taris, but I figured I'd chime in on Kira. How does she not get to targets on time? She leaps to targets, just like we do. As far as mechanics go, (and as far as I know) Lord Scourge is a melee tank, probably the worst companion a guardian can use. I'd argue that as a melee tank, your best bet (if you don't want to use Kira) is ranged DPS or healer. I'm more experienced with Consular companions, and we have the options of Zenith (a sniper) or Tharan (a healer), and I'd probably go with DPS if I was a tank spec shadow. I don't know if Rusk is a ranged tank or DPS, but I'd say he's best if you're a guardian.

I never geared Sgt. Rusk, but I know from my trooper ranged DPS companion, Arric--that with heavy armor I believe they may qualify as the best DPS companions, objectively.

Pretty simple algebra--with DPS being equal, they wear heavy armor. Is DPS equal? I think.

I'm pretty sure Arric does gunslinger-like damage while retaining his heavy armor.

I use Kira, but I know even with mid-30s purple gear she's becoming vulnerable to occasional deaths on Belsavis.

I don't believe tank companions have armor buffs beyond just heavy armor, so their main advantage is simply using their taunts.

If you use your ranged DPS to draw aggro first, you can usually use them like a quasi-tank. Guardians can taunt aggro off, if necessary.

For leveling, Doc is the best companion. Kira might be better if you're a Guardian tank, but honestly with Doc you'll have NO downtime. Overall leveling speed is much faster with a healer.

I never used Rusk or Scourge. Only used T7 until I got Doc(used Kira occasionally or when I had to like for certain class quests).

Some people like using Scourge (and he actually can do some healing). Personally though, the best companion for Jedi Knight often seems to be Doc, due to the healing. I never really got into using Rusk as a serious companion.

Kira is good, as long as you keep her geared, but the healing really comes in handy when you are DPS Guardian, so that's why I commonly use Doc as the companion char.

I just got Doc as a Guardian and am finding him to be the most useful, but I also really like Kira in general. Up until I got Doc, I had to be in Sorensu all the time just to survive, but now I only feel I need to use all of my buffs and whatnot if I'm facing an Elite or two Strong enemies. I'm not sure if I just speced wrong (I use Focus because it's more geared toward Shii-Cho and not for PvP), but Doc is invaluble, even if sometimes he heals like crazy and others he dosen't do much healing at all. Though I think that when I play as a Sentinel, I'll use Kira mostly.

I used Kira while leveling, though I was in a duo with a Scoundrel healer the whole time. For me now, at level cap, and as a vigilance guardian, the best companion is hands down Doc, even in full rakata gear. Absolutely no downtime, no need to really worry about pulling too much, and you can keep him in damage stance to add a bit of dps if you don't feel like you're doing enough damage yourself (though his damage is so low it's not gonna make much difference). Edited by goatfoam

So yesterday I had a bit of experience with Lord Scourge. Im a Jedi Sentinel btw. He seemed pretty good, he would tank all of the mobs while I would just dps them down. I was able to get down two groups before I would have to stop and heal us again. Ive always used Kira once I got her and she was pretty awesome as DPS. Ill use Rusk soon.