The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New instakill spec?

cptfoely

Nope both these hybrids are inferior to full Pyro.

In fact I'd all say all pure DPS hybrids are terrible compared to full pyro.

Defensive hybrids such as Iron Fist or CP are pretty good, but if you aren't going to be defensive full pyro is always the best.

hey guys what do you think is better? im not sure if these are new but they seem pretty solid, they are also based on Rail shot as main DMG dealer.

version 1:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsrMorcoZfcr0dh.1

Version 2:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsrMoMMZffr0dh0M.1

RB isn't worth the gcd to cast, no matter how much I wish it was.

It has a cool animation and sound effect, though.

Does less damage over less time as IM, and considerably less damage than CGC procs.

I used to think it was worth stacking on top of IM and CGC, but that gcd is much better used w/ another Flame Burst and nets more damage overall.

the point of RB was to get the 25% crit chance over the 30% dmg upgrade to RS

the RB on a elite or boss is another good DoT on top of the others was my thinking although its not the best DMG wise a dot is still efective

if i could put those points into prototype flame thrower with out RB i would have. BTW this would be for pve not pvp

Edited by cptfoely

the point of RB was to get the 25% crit chance over the 30% dmg upgrade to RS

the RB on a elite or boss is another good DoT on top of the others was my thinking although its not the best DMG wise a dot is still efective

if i could put those points into prototype flame thrower with out RB i would have. BTW this would be for pve not pvp

Ahh, if this is for PvE, I retract my statements, as I am predominately a PvP player.

: )

Others may have better advice.

Hi there. A few people have brought this spec up over time, and running it through my sim shows it to be inferior. Let's talk about why!

1) No Steely Resolve, Burnout, or Proto Weapon Systems means you lose out on 3 huge sources of passive damage. Trading it off for RB and some extra RAIL crits is meh.

2) You waste a lot of points by trying to do a hybrid. Both of the specs have a good few cylinder-specific talents at the bottom of their trees, and picking one or the other inevitably means you're wasting points into useless talents or survivability/utility.

3) Charged Gauntlets is good, but -not that good-. It's pretty easy to get around 30% crit, which means that 30% of the time that talent procs, it would have been a crit anyway.

4) No IMMO means that RP is almost never free, especially if you sit in HEGC with it's passive heat procs.

I hope this brings some light to the spec, but feel free to poke holes in my arguments! I'm pretty confident in my simulation results, though :D

Edited by Tiki

Is anybody considering the heat benefit that he would get from running the High Energy Cylinder instead of CGS? I have been trying a similar spec in pvp and while I wouldn't say that it has more DPS than a pure pyro build I will say that I run out of heat much less often and I can spam flame burst much better than a pure pyro build could thus leading to more rail shots.

I'm not saying it's the best build ever, but I think that a lot of people don't look at how much damage can be done in 1 minute they just look at how much damage can be done in 10 seconds.

Is anybody considering the heat benefit that he would get from running the High Energy Cylinder instead of CGS? I have been trying a similar spec in pvp and while I wouldn't say that it has more DPS than a pure pyro build I will say that I run out of heat much less often and I can spam flame burst much better than a pure pyro build could thus leading to more rail shots.

I'm not saying it's the best build ever, but I think that a lot of people don't look at how much damage can be done in 1 minute they just look at how much damage can be done in 10 seconds.

I think that depending on playstyle, you can make any of the trees work to your advantage.

Most will say "blabla, if you aren't pyro, you're not doing as well as you could be", but if you aren't great at managing heat, or lining up your procs for burst, then I could see AP being a better spec for you.

Personally, for PvP, I don't think that I could live w/out the CGC snare or the extra damage proc'ing every time I Rail Shot or Flame Burst.

Then again, people say the exact same thing about IGC mitigation and Rocket Charge.