Be Kind: Help an RP Noob

Sartanis

Recently, I have gotten bored of my PVE Sorcerer and have decided to make a new character. I have heard of the fantastic RP community in SWTOR, so I decided to roll a Sorcerer on a RP server (specifically Lord Adraas). Unfortunately, I have never RP'ed before and am looking forsome guidance from RP veterans.

-How do you access RP chat, and how do you know when an RP is going on? Is there a specific command in the chatbar?

-What are some of the best/most active RP guilds on Lord Adraas? I need someone to RP with if it's going to be any fun whatsoever. I am looking specifically for a master/apprentice relationship, with me serving my term as apprentice until I reach a level where I can take someone under my own wing. Any thoughts on where I should turn?

-What are the rules/common guidelines for an RP server? I understand the concept of "god-moding" is a no-no, but is there anything else I need to know?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Sartanis

In-Character: Speech or actions your character would perform.

Out of Character: Speech or actions you would preform as a player. For example, characters are not expected to be aware that they inhabit a game, or know all the terms for game concepts, so any gameplay discussion would be OOC (as would be leetspeek).

On RP servers, /say, /yell, and /emote (/me) are considered In-Character, at all times. General (/1) is considered Out of Character (OOC).

Most players consider /whisper as IC, and if a party is formed in-character, /party may also be IC. /guild may or may not be IC depending on the guild's preferences.

To say something OOC in an otherwise IC channel, surround your statement with (( )).

/say (( hey I'm new to roleplay, could someone help me out here? ))

In-Character: Speech or actions your character would perform.

Out of Character: Speech or actions you would preform as a player. For example, characters are not expected to be aware that they inhabit a game, or know all the terms for game concepts, so any gameplay discussion would be OOC (as would be leetspeek).

On RP servers, /say, /yell, and /emote (/me) are considered In-Character, at all times. General (/1) is considered Out of Character (OOC).

Most players consider /whisper as IC, and if a party is formed in-character, /party may also be IC. /guild may or may not be IC depending on the guild's preferences.

To say something OOC in an otherwise IC channel, surround your statement with (( )).

/say (( hey I'm new to roleplay, could someone help me out here? ))

Thank you very much. This is quite helpful.

are you in-game right now? I could roll a character and teach you.

Yes, actually. I am a level 5 Pureblood Inquisitor.

If you could do that, I would be extremely grateful

Edit: Sorry, the name is Archonus. I don'tknow how I could've forgotten the most important part.

Edited by Sartanis

Just a few other tips I thought I would throw in here.

When you create your character, it's good to not center his/her story around Bioware's class story. For example, it would be weird if every Sith Warrior in the guild was Darth Baras' apprentice. Also not every Inquisitor needs to start off as a slave in his background.

There's also a term you might not be familiar with called meta-gaming. It's when you take knowledge OOC and putting it IC. So if your friend tells you he picked Jigglybob as his secret apprentice and your guy magically finds out without being told IC, that's meta-gaming.

One more thing that comes to mind. Characters are ALWAYS more interesting when they have weaknesses. Maybe since your guy is an Inquisitor he isn't physically powerful. Maybe he has an allergy to banthas. Maybe he's awkward around women. If you make a super awesome Sith who scoffs at any sign of danger, can overpower any enemy, and instill dread in any Jedi, you're not interesting. This doesn't mean you have to make your character out to be a complete pansy though. This is just a way of giving your character his/her own unique personality.

I hope these helped!

Just a few other tips I thought I would throw in here.

When you create your character, it's good to not center his/her story around Bioware's class story. For example, it would be weird if every Sith Warrior in the guild was Darth Baras' apprentice. Also not every Inquisitor needs to start off as a slave in his background.

There's also a term you might not be familiar with called meta-gaming. It's when you take knowledge OOC and putting it IC. So if your friend tells you he picked Jigglybob as his secret apprentice and your guy magically finds out without being told IC, that's meta-gaming.

One more thing that comes to mind. Characters are ALWAYS more interesting when they have weaknesses. Maybe since your guy is an Inquisitor he isn't physically powerful. Maybe he has an allergy to banthas. Maybe he's awkward around women. If you make a super awesome Sith who scoffs at any sign of danger, can overpower any enemy, and instill dread in any Jedi, you're not interesting. This doesn't mean you have to make your character out to be a complete pansy though. This is just a way of giving your character his/her own unique personality.

I hope these helped!

Immensly. Thank you!

The idea is, you play your character as realistically as possible.

If you have a clear view of what your character likes, dislikes, respects, is afraid of... Ie, if you know everything about your character, you can make educated decisions about his way of acting. You just keep in mind "what would he do in this situation?", and that the game world is your character's reality (meaning that facing a rancor, for example, is a very REAL experience to your character).

I'd also personally argue that character progression is also supposed to not be set in stone. A lot of times I see people on RP forums planning their progression from level 1 to endgame (be it SWTOR, WOW, D&D, GURPS, Vampire, whatever). That implies that your character is set on a path that can't be changed by anything that happens in game, whereas imho, we are all shaped by our life experiences, and thus, the same should be true for our characters. You may end up with a non-optimal character, but in theory RPing is not about having the biggest e-peen.

Remember whenever you are in game, you are your character. I am Kensington, Jedi Shadow, with all her likes and dislikes. She is completely different and looks completely different than I do. I never enter the game and just play. I am always Kensington and my sisters are the Daughters of The Force. RP can be so enjoyable if you are open to it. Companions as love interests are really boring but if you meet someone in game it can be so much fun. Now to just fix up my best friend who's a trooper. I keep telling her to come to the cantina on Coruscant with me on Wednesday nights but she's always too tired. She is so over worked by the republic military.

On any server with roleplaying there are certain hot spots for it and there are sometimes guilds that plan events.

You usually start meeting people through what I jokingly call 'bar-pee' or roleplaying in a bar. Introduce yourself politely just like you would in real life, be in character, and in that way you begin to build contacts and meet people who are interested in telling the same types of stories you are.

It might take a few tries to connect with others, so don't give up if no one responds to your character immediately.

Best of luck

On any server with roleplaying there are certain hot spots for it and there are sometimes guilds that plan events.

You usually start meeting people through what I jokingly call 'bar-pee' or roleplaying in a bar. Introduce yourself politely just like you would in real life, be in character, and in that way you begin to build contacts and meet people who are interested in telling the same types of stories you are.

It might take a few tries to connect with others, so don't give up if no one responds to your character immediately.

Best of luck

To elaborate more on that, a server can make all the difference. Some servers have hot spots where you can observe and watch role-play. Unless you know where these are, they can be difficult to find. Other servers, like Sanctum of the Exalted, has role-play almost everywhere so its a bit easier than finding a hot spot.

In any case, most RP servers have In-Character and Out-of-Character channels. I believe for both Lord Adrass and Sanctum the channels are:

/cjoin ImperialNET

/cjoin ImperialOOC

/cjoin RepublicNET

/cjoin RepublicOOC

If you cannot find a hotspot or role-players, those channels are a good place to begin looking.