The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tactics? Anyone got anything good on it?

Xezkaiel

When dual spec launches (hopefully soon) I want to use the Iron Fist spec for pvp, but dps as tactics in pve. I havent really heard anyone say anything good about it tho. When talking about vanguard dps, everyone seems to refer to assault as the go to spec. Anyone know how well tactics can perform and got a good spec to go along with it?

Tactics has amazing sustained DPS and basically unlimited ammo when specced into HEcell I have used the spec below and the damage is pretty insane, Assault has great burst but I don't think it would beat out tactics in a longer fight and 5x stacked pulse cannon is just so good in pve.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsrrorfkzsZb.1

Edited by Savish

i am leveling to be tactics with my vanguard now, most people want to see big crits, they don't understand that consistant damage often beasts the random high crit more often then not.

also 1.2 is around the corner, the devs said every class is gonna see changes.

i am leveling to be tactics with my vanguard now, most people want to see big crits, they don't understand that consistant damage often beasts the random high crit more often then not.

also 1.2 is around the corner, the devs said every class is gonna see changes.

When you can global anything that is half health at will, I'm pretty sure "consistant damage" goes right out the window. When there is a full BM Assault Vanguard around, healing becomes "when they are at 50%, they are dead."

Edited by Kesrik

Ty for the replies so far but I am more focused on pvp and burst>sustained in pvp. I realllllly didn't like assaults playstyle...maybe ill give it another chance if tactics is simply inferior for pvp

It's not "inferior," but it is more niche. Burst builds that can run sustained damage at lower levels are universally useful in PvP. Sustained damage builds with lower burst and minor utility are frequently, but less often, useful in PvP.

Ty for the replies so far but I am more focused on pvp and burst>sustained in pvp. I realllllly didn't like assaults playstyle...maybe ill give it another chance if tactics is simply inferior for pvp

I see tactics as a more support roll in pvp. I run tactics with ion cell and basically taunt/guard, lock down healers and high dps squishies. I do a ton of damage but I dont get a lot of killingblows. I leave those to you assault types and instead buy you the time to kill them.

It is possible to burst as tactics but not as powerfully as assault. Its all about playstyles really. If you dont "like" assault give tactics a whirl.

Eh, enjoying playing full tactics with HEC in pvp right now. It's a bit of a pain when you can't get off pulse cannons due to people focusing on you because they know what's gonna happen if they don't now.

Been using HTL defensively more often against melee classes lately, it's pretty funny watching 2 or 3 warriors charge at me with it on and try to keep up as they get mobbed with grenades from afar while the rest of my team is mopping up their healer and ranged buddy since they're too busy. Always a harpoon ready for the one that decides to go help their healer too.

Tactics definitely shines in teamplay, it's not horrible in 1 on 1 situations if you use HTL at correct times, along with baiting a cc breaker before a stun for Pulse Cannon.

not everything in the game is about PvP.... i do not know why every thread turns into a PvP pissing contest. This is, according tot he devs, a PvE based game that has PvP in it.

The majority of the questions posted on here are pvp questions so it becomes a pvp discussion.

PvP is also the only source of stats/numbers for comparison so a lot of discussion centers around it. When/if they add combat logs I bet you'll see a spike in pve based discussions.

The majority of the questions posted on here are pvp questions so it becomes a pvp discussion.

PvP is also the only source of stats/numbers for comparison so a lot of discussion centers around it. When/if they add combat logs I bet you'll see a spike in pve based discussions.

but you wallow in ignorance trying to think the PvP damage tally means ANYTHING in PvE. PvP damage means nothing in PvE. Its just a shame so few are smart enough to comprehend that.

Hell in PvP they mean little, someone spaming an AoE on a door will rack up lots of damage without doing anything.

but you wallow in ignorance trying to think the PvP damage tally means ANYTHING in PvE. PvP damage means nothing in PvE. Its just a shame so few are smart enough to comprehend that.

Hell in PvP they mean little, someone spaming an AoE on a door will rack up lots of damage without doing anything.

Not that I'm disagreeing, but until BW get's off their asses and releases damage meters, it really is the only way of doing any diagnostics at this point.

It's still a skewed look though because maybe one guy is spending half his time trying to survive while another is getting free reign to cast aoe around said guy.

not everything in the game is about PvP.... i do not know why every thread turns into a PvP pissing contest. This is, according tot he devs, a PvE based game that has PvP in it.

Eh I kinda messed up in my original post...I care about PvP WAY more than PvE. It is just what I prefer. I MAY use tactics for pvp, but if I decide to ever dabble in PvE, I would much rather dps than tank (or heal than tank, but obviously vanguards cant do that :p)

Both my specs will be oriented around pvp, but I could prob get one tactics spec to work for pvp and casual pve

Eh I kinda messed up in my original post...I care about PvP WAY more than PvE. It is just what I prefer. I MAY use tactics for pvp, but if I decide to ever dabble in PvE, I would much rather dps than tank (or heal than tank, but obviously vanguards cant do that :p)

Both my specs will be oriented around pvp, but I could prob get one tactics spec to work for pvp and casual pve

Tactics is pretty nice for that. Once you have the essentials going up the tree you've got 2 points you can put in various places. I put the 2 into shock absorbers for 20% less damage during stunlocks.

I miss out on 6 second interrupts (got 1 point in it for the hell of it for a 7 sec interrupt) 7% hp over time when I recharge cells (not a big deal when you're a biochemist in a pve setting and I always try to save recharge cells for burning healers so I probably shouldn't be too low anyhow and if I am 7% over time isn't gonna save me in most cases) or 2% less damage... woooo.

Or 10 seconds off your stun cooldown but that talent is pretty lame honestly.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801hMhZMsMRRrfkbsZb.1

Don't feel like I miss anything going that route pve wise except maybe having an easier time on interrupts and it's worked well enough in pvp for me.