The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Shieldtech Stat priority?

Konaim

I just hit 50 on my Shield-tech and my guild is wanting me to get geared up for Ops. I'm curious about the stat priority because i've been getting all sorts of conflicting info... Right now my defensive stats are: Total dmg reduction 47.88 - Defense rating 10.17 - Shield rating 41.97 - Absorb rating 33.89. I Still have a lot of 47-48 gear since I hit 50 1 hour ago, but a lot of it is modded with 49 mods. Any help will be appreciated.

~Zon~

That high shield rating would only be worth while if you had a truck load of absorption rating. A bit more defense would go a long way, try checking the stat spread in the 50 pvp tanking gear and convert to pve adding the Expertise value to the relevant stats (just for reference) and try a few hard modes. Edited by Wrwf

Umm your talent tree revolves around shield/absorb. Get those to around 50% before worrying about defense. Does anyone read these forums? If someone is telling you to get more defense over those two before you begin hitting that cap I would question how well they know the Shieldtech Class.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=294697

Edited by midnitemonster

That high shield rating would only be worth while if you had a truck load of absorption rating. A bit more defense would go a long way, try checking the stat spread in the 50 pvp tanking gear and convert to pve adding the Expertise value to the relevant stats (just for reference) and try a few hard modes.

42% isn't that high of a shield rating. Around endgame it should be mid-high 40's at least. You can reach that and still maintain a decently high defense rating; no need to sacrifice one over the other. Defense is more of a juggernaut tank stat. Shieldtech mitigation is dependent on shield and absorb rating (hence the shield in shieldtech). So get your absorption up a lot more .

Defense is nice too because of the way the rolls work in this game, but you'll have a tough time reaching more than 15%.

Edited by SunsNRses

It does matter. OP had a question, the correct response was provided. 50/50 shield then go for defense. Tenacity knows his stuff and no-one has disproved him, so for now at least its the de-facto response to such questions.

It does matter. OP had a question, the correct response was provided. 50/50 shield then go for defense. Tenacity knows his stuff and no-one has disproved him, so for now at least its the de-facto response to such questions.

No he is wrong. The value of my stats are:

+1 Armor 0.41

+1 Defense Rating 1.21

+1 Shield Rating 0.75

+1 Absorb Rating 1.81

That is in my gear (no 4p bonus)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=123306

Edit: Check out these too.

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-The-Shield-Tech-Shield-Spec-Compendium

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Tanking-stat-spreadsheet-online

Edited by StarSoar

I have a 50 Jugg in almost full Rakata with pieces of Columi. His Damage Reduction is at around 46% with about 30-32% Defense Rating.

My 50 PT in full Columi with a couple Rakata is at 52 - 53% Damage Reduction. With only 15% Defense Chance, 46% shield, 43% absorb.

If you want, you can just play the norm. Get your Rakata/Columi and leave the mods alone. However the other Tank that is min/maxing will probably always be slightly better at taking damage. Healers will notice this.

You are a PT. Your talents revolve around shield/absorb, not defense. You need to take hits to vent heat, and get the extra Rocket Punch.

I understand what you are saying Star, and read through those links. However from my own experience with raiding it will not change my mind. At this point the best suggestion for the OP would be to experiment with his mods and find what he thinks is working for him. IMO having smaller but equal stats across the board (defense,shield,absorb) means a lower over all Damage Reduction. You aren't really excelling at anything, which is kind of the point of the different tanks isn't it?

Nice to hear you actually read the link instead of just bashing straight up. Have you tried either of the spread sheets? Using them will show you that to achieve the greatest amount of damage reduction can be achieved by prioritizing your stats in this order. Absorb>Defense>Shield. In the most basic sense the purpose of "tanking" damage is to reduce the overall damage, not mitigate it. As such you will want to use the most efficient stats to do so.

The problem with the two talents you mentioned is that they both have internal cool downs. Shield Vent has a 6 second cool down and Flame Shield has a 4.5 second cool down.

Don't mean to be an *** but math will trump "feelings" every time. Especially when that math is on a spread sheet :p

Edit: Spelling and grammar.

Edited by StarSoar

Shielding dumps heat.

The problem with the two talents you mentioned is that they both have internal cool downs. Shield Vent has a 6 second cool down and Flame Shield has a 4.5 second cool down.

Please check the math before you post random and pointless words based on your feelings.