What are gift fragments?

Radiowood

If I understand right, this what you pay the Curator with to buy higher level Companion gifts. But what are gift fragments, and how do you get them?

The way they work is you need say 8 prototype gift fragments to give the curator for one gift, I believe the artifact gift fragments are 8 to turn in also and the regular ones take 12 I think it was. I started getting the fragments at level 3 companion gift missions, level 4 gave the blue and 5 gave the pruple fragments. Now I believe they only come from Treasure hunting since the only toon I have that ever got fragments is one with treasure hunting.

Edited by Craxxus

They're random rewards from the Treasure Hunting crew skill missions. Instead of returning with an actual gift, sometimes your companion will return with the gift fragments. They act like commendations, in that you spend them like money at the Curator on your fleet space station. 12 "Green" fragments will allow you to buy 1 green quality gift. 8 "Blue" fragments will allow you to buy 1 blue quality gift. And I think it's also 8 "purple" fragments that allow you to buy a purple quality gift.

The fragments are nice because they allow you to buy a gift you know your companion will like, instead of getting a random gift that your companion may or may not like. It always annoys me when my companion returns thinking they've been VERY successfull, and then have them give me 2 or 3 gifts that are hated by all of my current companions. Or they bring me purple gifts for the one companion I already have 10k affection with. (Anyone want to buy a slightly dented ship driod? Cheap...)