Smuggler Gunslinger (Sharpshooter PvE End Game Guideline)

Smiego-Wan

Lots of discussion going on about whether Vital Shot will be viable end game for sharpshooter spec. I currently have it listed in the priority list but more testing needs to be done. If not talented into at all I kinda feel that it won't be viable at end game, at least compared to other abilities that cost the same (ie. charged burst).

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I think Vital Shot only becomes efficient with the vast ammount of support that the Dirty Fighting tree offers it. In particular I'm thinking about Fighting Spirit and Hemoraging Blast. And even then, one of it's main purposes is to provide an extra bleed for Wounding Shots.

I concur.

I'm always surprised at how much energy the skill actually uses, because it never seems to be doing much. Luckily, Foxhole negates a lot of the energy loss, but I feel like my energy could be spent on better things (i.e. Speed Shot, Quick Shot, etc.).

Honestly I think Vital Shot only becomes efficient with the vast ammount of support that the Dirty Fighting tree offers it. In particular I'm thinking about Fighting Spirit and Hemoraging Blast. And even then, one of it's main purposes is to provide an extra bleed for Wounding Shots.

Yeah it's an ability that I would still gladly use if I'm moving to avoid mechanics but as far as an ability to have in the main rotation/priority list I'm just not sure, like others have said I'd feel better about using something else in a lot of cases

Edited by Smiego-Wan

I would love to know how you have your action bars set up. Are you using the cover bar?

Also, are you still happy with your opening as you have it listed?

I am just now gaining the AC, and trying to feel my way through. Lvl 13 and I usually just spam Charge Blast, opening with an aimed shot, then maybe a say charge, or a thermal. Not the best way to go about it, but in the early game, it gets me by.

Thx for this guide.

I would love to know how you have your action bars set up. Are you using the cover bar?

Also, are you still happy with your opening as you have it listed?

I am just now gaining the AC, and trying to feel my way through. Lvl 13 and I usually just spam Charge Blast, opening with an aimed shot, then maybe a say charge, or a thermal. Not the best way to go about it, but in the early game, it gets me by.

Thx for this guide.

Hey there Tmayeux, thanks for adding to the discussion. Personally I like to have abilties that work well together next to each other, for example My main dps abilties are keybound close to each other, not to mention other groupings like offensive/defensive cooldowns, pvp abilties etc. I do use the cover bar however to simplify things I just have all the abilties from my regular bars mapped in the same slots for the cover bar. Also I have a couple of cover only abilties (ex. hunker down, pulse detonator) that I've mapped to the mouse and placed on the side action bars to save space.

In regards to the opener I have listed and whether I'm still happy with it. Yes, I'm happy with it as one option to use when opening, there are however many other openers that may be better or just as good that I should add as well. For example opening with 3 speed shots with a rapid aim cd throws out lots of burst dps.

At lvl 13 the abilties you mentioned are pretty much the bread and butter of what you have available at that level anyway, so I don't see any problem with it.

Thanks again, hope this is helpful.

Edited by Smiego-Wan

Very helpful, thank you.

I am in the deep end playing this kind of role. Not a huge MMO player to start with and the bulk of my time was in Guild Wars as a Necromancer.

I am loving the game so far, and I am always trying to find ways to get better, or play better at my role anyway.

Right now I open with smugglers luck - aimed shot - charged burst - and then I kinda flow from there. Always trying to keep my +% Crit up at all times.

Again thx for the input

TMx

Very helpful, thank you.

I am in the deep end playing this kind of role. Not a huge MMO player to start with and the bulk of my time was in Guild Wars as a Necromancer.

I am loving the game so far, and I am always trying to find ways to get better, or play better at my role anyway.

Right now I open with smugglers luck - aimed shot - charged burst - and then I kinda flow from there. Always trying to keep my +% Crit up at all times.

Again thx for the input

TMx

Probably just a typo but I think you mean Smuggler's luck-->Charged Burst (for the auto crit/aimed shot cast time reduction)-->Aimed Shot etc, etc.

Edited by Smiego-Wan

Probably just a typo but I think you mean Smuggler's luck-->Charged Burst (for the auto crit/aimed shot cast time reduction)-->Aimed Shot etc, etc.

See this might be where I am going wrong, I will have to pay attention next time I log in.

But I thought that I could charge SL then use Aimed Shot, and still get the crit on my charged burst.

If not, it is a simple correction to make in my opening, I just like to lead with Aimed shot because of the cool down

TMx

You will still get the crit on charged burst but the point is you want charge burst to crit before you cast aim shot to reduce the cast time of aimed shot by 1 second thanks to a talent you can get in your early 20s called Quick Aim. Since you dont have the talent yet it doesnt matter, you can charge up Smuggler's Luck before you pull and start with an aimed and SL will still be up for your charged.

You will still get the crit on charged burst but the point is you want charge burst to crit before you cast aim shot to reduce the cast time of aimed shot by 1 second thanks to a talent you can get in your early 20s called Quick Aim. Since you dont have the talent yet it doesnt matter, you can charge up Smuggler's Luck before you pull and start with an aimed and SL will still be up for your charged.

Thanks for the input...

TMx

I can see you put down a fair amount of effort into this, explaining the most basic things about our class.

Tho, when it comes to rotation ive done some theorycrafting of my own and putting up the dot actually lowers your overall DPS. Takes too much energy and with the GCD in mind it just isnt viable compared to your other 3 options.

I can see you put down a fair amount of effort into this, explaining the most basic things about our class.

Tho, when it comes to rotation ive done some theorycrafting of my own and putting up the dot actually lowers your overall DPS. Takes too much energy and with the GCD in mind it just isnt viable compared to your other 3 options.

Hey Korghal, I agree with that and if you look in previous posts in this thread I'm sure it's mentioned that I feel it isn't worth spending the energy on Vital Shot in our main rotation. The only time I would use Vital shot is when I'm forced from cover and have the energy to spend. I'll be taking some time soon to update the guide substantially with a new rotation, more openers, different specs, etc., etc.

Hey Korghal, I agree with that and if you look in previous posts in this thread I'm sure it's mentioned that I feel it isn't worth spending the energy on Vital Shot in our main rotation. The only time I would use Vital shot is when I'm forced from cover and have the energy to spend. I'll be taking some time soon to update the guide substantially with a new rotation, more openers, different specs, etc., etc.

ohhh looking forward to this....