The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

How is heat management with 4/6/31? (PvP)

jitsuo

I started out my BH (now level 17) and I'm planning to use him for PvP. I was wondering how heat management is if my endgame rotation is TD>IM>RS>FB>RS/RP

Is there a certain time to use Vent Heat (at how much heat) and will there be other abilities that let me manage heat?

Thanks to those who answer these questions.

I run a similar spec (31 points pyro), currently levelling my Bh at 36. So I don't have TD, but ED has the same heat cost and I am deep enough into the tree to have all the heat reduction I am going to get. Personally I don't find heat to be an issue. The rotation you mentioned will rack up the heat fast, so best bet is to weave in rapid shots after your first rail shot. And make sure to weave it in here and there. Basically TD and IM will really put your heat high, the first rail shot will vent some heat (you will be outside 10m range at this point) then rapid shots as you close the gap then hope for the free RS proc with your first FB. The following railshot will vent some more heat and allow you to open up when you get into melee range.

If you don't get lucky with the props you just need to use more rapid shots. Heat management revolves around the free RS proc, if you get plenty o' procs hear is not an issue. If you don't then rapid shots and vent heat become essential.

I find vent heat to be an extremely situational ability. I will generally use it at about 60-70 heat when I desperately need to refresh IM and TD. Typically it only gets used in 2v1 or more scenarios. 1v1 you should never need vent heat.

Like I said, the only heat intensive part of the rotation is the first 2 missiles. The trick to keeping your heat under control is keeping it as low as possible. Sub 25 heat gives you maximum venting.

Hope this helps

In general, heat is not an issue with overrides, rail shot, and vent heat. That said be careful of healer heavy Voidstars and Alderaans when you may get an unlucky no-proc streak. You'll need to pace yourself on those ones.

To reduce heat you have vent heat (-50 I think), rail shot (-8 when it hits a burning target I think) and thermal sensor override (next ability costs no heat). Also if you take the talent for being stunned then you can vent 8 heat then too. Bit this talent is a waste as if you manage your heat well then it is not needed.

TSO doesnt come until very high level though, not that it's crucial, it's a clutch ability. Your main ability to vent heat consistently is

A) rail shot

B) not actually generating too much heat, the lower it is the faster it vents.

Edited for typo

Edited by JoeyMcFool

Vent Heat on lower cooldown is your best friend. When you want to burst someone down you will need it. Other than that good amount of Rapid Shots helps you stay below 40 heat, and being lucky on Rail Shot procs will help a ton. All in all, you need excellent heat management to dish out high, constant dmg.

You should always vent heat at around 55 heat, don't wait untill you're higher because then you'll spend more time out of optimal heat dispersion.

The 31 pyro builds are heat intensive compared to non 31 pyro builds (Parakeet, deep burn)

This is because the heat of FB while the same as TD is less so in that it procs Free railshots which end up draining 15.5 heat

In general, heat is not an issue with overrides, rail shot, and vent heat. That said be careful of healer heavy Voidstars and Alderaans when you may get an unlucky no-proc streak. You'll need to pace yourself on those ones.

Oh gawd yea ^ Truth...

Seems like everytime I fight 2+ healers I get soooooo unlucky with my procs...